is bernina worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is bernina worth it?

I have 2 machines.. a featherweight that I absolutely love and another singer that about 12 years old im having alot of trouble with it and think its just time to get a new one so I can use a zigzag stitch and have decorative stitches etc. I went to the Bernina store today just to look and see how much etc. turns out those suckers are super expensive. the 380 is $2000 and thats a quilter machine.. no embroidery or USB ports haha just a machine. Do any of you fellow quilters have and use a Bernina what do you think.. is it worth forking over almost 2 mortgage payments for a sewing machine? She did tell me that you get a years worth of classes free and education is very important to Bernina, that awsome of them. Thanks for any opinions or info.

Missie

Re: is bernina worth it?

I have sewn on a Bernina that my friend owns and it was really nice. She swears by it. She does some beautiful things with it. Just a thought. Hugs, Jan P.S. Don't let the featherweight out of your site though. lol
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

By the way, my friend said the classes were great and really helped her with how to use the machine the right way. Hugs, Jan

Comment

Hi Missie,

I too am machine shopping. I went to my lqs and looked at Berninas last week. I inquired about a basic machine that wasn't the cheapest but was about the middle of the road. The sales lady showed me what she called mid range then she added that because it wasn't considered an embroidery machine it was only "thirty nine ninety five". It took a second for me to realize she was saying $3995.00. I smiled and put on my "I'm not shocked face" and asked what the top of the line sold for. She replied, "in the neighborhood of $6000.00 but that model has 3 USB ports and a mouse." I thanked her and told her I'd think about it and she offered a free class to help me decide. OH MY LORD........ $6,000.00 for a sewing machine!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Help someone........ tell me there is a good sewing machine that doesn't cost so much.....

Hugggs
        Mia
        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
        Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
        (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Well, I'll say - if you have the money - go for it. Also, if I had that kind of money, I think I would rather invest in a long arm so it would make my machine quilting so much nicer.
          I picked up a Brother Embroidery machine on CraigsList for $200. Haven't used the embroidery part yet, but the regular sewing part sews like a dream. I know alot of you don't like CraigsList, but I have seen quite a few nice machines out there for good prices. Sometimes husband get rid of their wives machines (I am guessing they have passed on) and sell them for much less than what you'd pay for at a store or shop. Just saw a $700. one, Bernina, that he said he paid about $3,000 for. I would shop around - just don't know what's out there. Plus, I just found a BabyLock serger for $8. Looks brand new and also has the book for me to figure out how to work it. Free classes is wonderful - so like I said - if you have the money, I'd go for it if you're not interested in a long arm. I'd spend the money on that and look around for a '2nd hand' sewing machine at a great price. If you are wary about meeting up with someone from Craigs List - take a friend and meet in a public place. Nothing wrong with that.
          Bernina is a super brand - so is Janone - and others. It does take lots of comparing. They say to make sure you sit and try lots of them out to see what bells and whistles you might want and go from there. Also, the closer the shop is to you for the classes, the better. Plus, make sure the shop can service it. You don't get the free classes of course with the 2nd hand ones, but usually get the book and can always go online for more information from the company.

Good luck.
          Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I purchased the Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 870 quilting machine and I paid $2,000.00 for it. It has a variety of stitches, can't remember how many. It has an extended sewing surface. It does not have a USB port but then again it is not an embroidery machine. They are expensive but if you sew a lot its worth the money. You can get on their website and they tell you everything about the machine but the price.
            Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

I also would go for the Bernina. Yes, you can find good deals on used ones. I was able to purchase a used one and it is wonderful. I have also sold and bought machines on Craiglist. I found a Featherweight and sold Singer Embroidery machine. I didn't realize that the embroidery machine really wasn't what I wanted. I had purchased it used from a lady at my guild. Hope this helps you out.

I wish you all the best in finding the machine of your dreams! I paid $500 for the Bernina it was about 8 years old when I purchased it. Virtousa 153 is the model. Just to give you an idea.
              Leisa
              From ~ Gateway to Yosemite Nat'l Park, CA

Comment

I really like Janome. They have some really decent ones under $500.

I haven't yet been able to spend 2K on a machine. Who knows, though. Maybe I'm missing out!

Comment

Sew, which model Janome do you have?
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I have a Bernina Bernette 80e. It has about 15 stitches and so far does just about everything I want, and has been very reliable. It takes all kinds of thread without being picky. I can sew many types of fabrics and many layers too. The instruction manual is crap though. It was translated in to english from some other language and it shows.

My biggest complaint is that I can't seem to find a darning foot for it. I have ordered an after-market foot and adapter shank to see if that will make it finally free-motion quilt. I don't like the way the walking foot works, but that could just be me.
                    It can drop the feed-dogs, do one step-button holes, and even sew on buttons. I know I paid less than $1000, I am thinking closer to $600, for the machine brand new about 8 years ago.
                    Other then the minor irritations of not being able to find that foot for it, I have been extremely happy with the machine. I'll be saving my money for that long arm too. I figure that once I have the money saved, the teenager may have finally moved out of the house and I can use his old room as a sewing space with room for the long arm and the frame! Oh, I can dream can't I?
                    I'd check out Craigslist too. Be cautious and take somebody with you and or meet in a public place when you check it out. A library would be a good place, since it is public and has access to electricity so you can check out the machine. Most have a conference room with a table you could probably use.
                    Good luck on your search!
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Mia that dealer sounds like a greedy person. My friend Sandy got hers for about 1800.00 and she got several lessons with it. And also her dealer was a service center. She has had no trouble with it and it was brand new. Try another more honest dealer or go used.
                      Hugs, Jan
                      P. S. Missy got a better dealer!
                      Last edited by janluna; February 24, 2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

If you want a Bernina, shop around. I agree..that price is very steep. If you can get to a quilt show, some shops sell their used or demo machines at a cheaper price. I bought my Bernina 230PE last year around this time on sale for $1100. I saved up for it but I am very happy with it. It has everything a quilter needs, a little embroidery but nothing fancy, just small things. But I don't care for embroidery. The walking foot did not come with it, so if you can wheel and deal to have one thrown in, do it! It's an expensive item. The 330 series is the equivalent. Bernina really is a good product and good customer service. I recently had a question about my machine and emailed the corporate headquarters and they responded within 48 hours with a very complete answer to my question.

My main reason for a Bernina is where could I get this thing serviced? I think you should take that into consideration when you decide to purchase a machine. There are several dealers with repair around...even though some are an hour away....but to me, that's well worth it.

Comment

I'm dreaming too. One of these days I would like to purchase a long arm. Have to save for a long time for that.
                          Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

Thanks for all the great input. I wish I had the thousands of dollars to spend on one now. but I will have to save my pennies for a while. If quilting wasnt so addictive I would have this problem : )

Missie.

Comment

I have a Bernina 440 QEE (with embroidery module) and a Bernina 1230. The 440 was $4,000 two years ago.

Between the two, I enjoy the embroidery module, which runs from my laptop, and I am learning to use the BSR foot for free motion quilting. For straight sewing and piecing, the 1230 is my favorite. I got it used. It is a solid machine and continues to be the workhorse. It depends on what you need but if you could find a 1230 that has recently been serviced by a certified repair person, it could save you a lot of $$$$. With the 1230, you would need to buy a piecing foot. The 440 had one included.

I promised my husband that I would sell the 1230 to help pay for the new machine but I couldn't part with it. It is great to have one set up for piecing and the other for quilt as you go projects.

Good luck!

'Genie in WV

Comment

Working...
                              X