So NOTquilting related . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So NOTquilting related . . .

I was cleaning out some of my images on my computer at dark thirty this morning and came across these two images:

I have always been enamored of the clothes from the 30's and 40's. Perhaps because I grew up watching the old B/W movies on tv. The ladies always looked so put together. I couldn't imagine dressing like this daily or an evening dress for dinner but gosh, they just are lovely.
    Much better than the slouchy sweats I am partial to in the winter. And make you more aware of what you put in your mouth to maintain that figger.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: So NOTquilting related . . .

Love the pics. Im not to much of a dress gal. I just love the dresses back in the day. I think its cause they just dont make them the way they use to. As I age so does my taste for the length to be longer. Why oh why cant they make them the way I want them not the way they say I want them, lol. Thanks again for the blast from the past.
    Have a blessed day in HIS name!
    PAULA

Comment

I love the dresses but I love the hats more. I think the fashion of that time was so classy.
      Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

Where's my girdle?
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I'm with you about the girdle. The spanx thing just doesn't cut it.

Comment

but I don't miss those garter belts! I bet girls these days don't even know what they are
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
              but I don't miss those garter belts! I bet girls these days don't even know what they are
              You brought back memories. When I was a very, very little girl (started first grade when I was 4) my Mom made me these horrendous heavy brown stockings and I had to wear them in the winter with a garter belt. Oh, how I hated those things (the stockings - not necessarily the garter belt). Anyone else have to wear those? Actually thought the garter belts (though uncomfortable) were quite S E X Y.

Comment

I had a garter belt. I got to wear it to church every Sunday. And of course I wore stockings. I thought I was something with 1"heels. LOL I don't know how women today wear those 5" spikes. I did notice though they are making the heel wider for this season. Which makes it look really silly cause they are still 5" high. lol
                I too love the fashions from the 30's and 40's. The picture book hats and the picture book necklines to the gowns. They were so flattering. I'm sure people behind them at church and the movies weren't happy with them but I still love them. I don't have the figure for them now either. I'm into extra big t-shirts and sloppy pants. What a grunge I look like. But at least they cover my butt. lol
                My daughter-in-law was just complaining about how hard it was to buy clothes for school for the girls. She said they only had half shirts and hip huggers for them. It took her forever to find regular blouses and slacks that were respectable. She is such a good Mom. I love her as if she were my own.
                Well the washer calls, I have to switch loads and start another. Be back soon. Hugs. Jan L
                Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

The only way I'd ever fit into those dresses is via photoshop! But, boy would I love to! They look so classy! If I had that figure, I guess I'd dress for dinner too, although there would be no eating for me!

Jan, I'm with your DIL. Finding appropriate clothes for girls is tough! I end up buying plain boys T-shirts and adding girly touches. I don't think my 5 year old should look like a tramp in pre-school! I hope that she never looks like a tramp, but it's MY job to make her understand that. One of the moms told me that they coined the phrase "Prosti-tot" for the little girls who mommies let them dress like that. Sick I say, absolutely sick!
                  I had to jump my own mom's case about her comments on Em's swim suit. She said that she looked "sexy" in her new suit. I told her that she could look cute, sweet, or pretty in her new suit, but that no child should look sexy at 4 years old!
                  Sorry! I'll stop ranting, & get off my soap box now!
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Toggpine----I am in agreement with you, but finding appropriate clothing gets worse, not better as they get older. I did a lot of sewing for my daughter, just to be able to control some issues. Good luck and stick with it. Not easy, but important! I never could figure out why anyone would want little girls to look like baby teens! They are little for such a short period of time.....you will have plenty of time for those teen years and the issues over clothing then! SuzyQue

Comment

I love these styles because they are classy as well. And just a thought here ~ don't you think you speak nicer when you are dressed better?

I remember garter belts and I didn't particularly like them. I was too young to think of sexy back then, only needed them for stockings for church. And Sandy, I didn't have to wear those heavy stockings but I do remember leggings. Is that the same thing? My grandmother from NY was H -E- double- hockey -sticks on cold weather and catching your death of pneumonia. I had to keep cotton in my ears all winter and smelt like vicks vapor rub until I left home.

Now today, I do not think that there are really ANY appropriate clothing for girls these days. Unless they are an infant/toddler. Then it's straight to Mylie Cyrus and/or Brittaney Spears. So sad. I am glad that my DD is grown. She was all tom boy - with two older brothers, how could she not be? I made her clothes until she was a teen and then it was God Forbid I EVEN HAVE A MOTHER thing.

I have often toyed with the idea of creating clothing that is flattering for a woman my age. Ahem. mature but not matronly. Seriously, I am not a huge woman. Not saying that I shouldn't lose some weight but folks don't look at me and whisper, "Lawdy, she has really let herself go. Bless her heart."
                      But to purchase something affordable the clothing is:
                      a. made in china, therefore once it is washed it shrinks 4 to 5 sizes - tell me I am wrong here!

b. so this is why an average sized woman my age winds up buying 20W. because they are made in china or some other country of miniscule sized folks (no offense to anyone, please! I know this sounds so un-p.c. but frankly, I don't care.)

Okay, off my soap box. I got so worked up I needed to go wash my mouth out with dial soap.
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                        Toggpine----I am in agreement with you, but finding appropriate clothing gets worse, not better as they get older. I did a lot of sewing for my daughter, just to be able to control some issues. Good luck and stick with it. Not easy, but important! I never could figure out why anyone would want little girls to look like baby teens! They are little for such a short period of time.....you will have plenty of time for those teen years and the issues over clothing then! SuzyQue
                        My daughter puts her girls in uniforms and has had great luck finding appropriate clothing at Land's End - recently caught some fantastic sales and loaded up with clothes for every size. Her girls happen to adore hand-me-downs and don't mind the uniforms at all. It sure has helped with laundry, too. They don't even mind looking alike. They have their uniform, long-sleeved dresses, shirts, play clothes - and they are all quite modest.

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it is to type qui words without putting that lt on the end?

Comment

Working...
                        X