Cutting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting question

I would like to know if you use the markings on your cutting mat to measure your fabric for cutting or do you use the ruler markings and the reasons for your choice. I think Jenny uses the mat markings in her tutorials but I've seen others use their rulers. Thanks for your help.
    Sherry:icon_wave:

Have a kind and loving day

Re: Cutting question

I mostly use the markings on my rulers as I feel they are more accurate. I will line things up on the mat, but always measure with the ruler.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I'm with Karen on that one. On the Mat, the fabric can wiggle a bit, with the pressure from the ruler, much less movement. Also, if there are any seams, I can line up the clear rulers on those and make sure the whole piece is 'square', not just the outer edges.
      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Same here, I use my ruler. As long as you always measure the same way and don't switch up methods in the midst of a project, I think most things will turn out ok.
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Ruler. It is much more accurate. Actually Jenny uses her ruler as well. Sometime it looks like she is using the mat the way she has the fabric laying.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

I also use the ruler...but that is how I was taught. I do think it's more accurate.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Ruler!

Way more accurate!! Only use the cutting mat as a mat or for estimations with big yardage.
              Happy Quilting!

Comment

I use the rulers. I use the mat for general measurements that don't require accuracy. I also use it to lay the fabric so it is square on the table. I agree with everyone else. The rulers give you more accurate cutting.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks for your responses, for the first quilt I made I used the mat markings and just used the ruler for a straight edge. I will have to switch to using the ruler but I don't think it will be easy
                  Sherry:icon_wave:

Have a kind and loving day

Comment

I always use the ruler markings but have seen others use the mat. I think it takes more time to line it up on the mat. I find the ruler easier.

Comment

Hmmm. I think I use the mat, but maybe both.

For strips or large cuts, I layout the yardage so the fold/selvedge lies along the "start" line. I'm right handed, so I lay the ruler over the main body of the fabric and trim the right edge even with the farthest right line. When cutting, I match up the marks on my ruler to my mat and slice. (Maybe I'm just lucky that mine match?) I can hold the fabric in place and lift the cut strip without disturbing the rest of the fabric. Then I move the ruler over the fabric to the left to make the next cut. I can get through 3/4 of a yard before I have to lift and reposition the fabric.

If I have to make fiddly cuts of 8ths or 16ths of an inch, I'd certainly trust the lines on the ruler before the mat. Although, I do have one that has an inaccurate 1/4" on one end, so they aren't always perfect either.

Pick one and stick with it throughout the project and you'll be fine.
                      Last edited by toggpine; July 12, 2013, 11:22 AM.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

The lines on my ruler are thinner than those on my cutting mat, so I like to use the ruler; that said, I do line my fabric up on the mat.

Comment

I use the map for large cuts or to straighten the fabric and but I need precision, I use my ruler.

LOL....I could use a MAP !......LOL......Mat I should say!

Comment

I think either way works, as long as you are consistent with your method.
                            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I use the mat. Habit I can't break ....my quilts turn out great!

Comment

Working...
                              X