Cleaning out the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning out the house

My mom called me and while she was working on cleaning her house out to move that she was going to give me a whole bunch of neck ties that were my Poppops. I googled neck tie quilts, and now I'm really excited. Anyone do anything before with neck ties?
    Lin

Re: Cleaning out the house

I found a really pretty pattern for making a pillow with them. I think it was on the Martha Stewart website. Lucky you! Have fun with those ties.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by Onetiredmomma View Post
      My mom called me and while she was working on cleaning her house out to move that she was going to give me a whole bunch of neck ties that were my Poppops. I googled neck tie quilts, and now I'm really excited. Anyone do anything before with neck ties?
      Ohhh, oooohhh, oooohhh. I made a king-size quilt from men's neckties (have to admit I worked on it off and on for many, many years before I finally finished it). I did a crazy quilt - machine sewed pieces of the ties to 18x18 inch muslin squares. Then I hand stitched different quilting stitches with embroidery floss. Used a dark blue fabric for sashing, backed with a fleecy-like fabric and self-bound (rolled the backing to the front). Tied the quilt with red decorative thread.

1Necktie quilt - 2005.JPG
      Last edited by Sandy Navas; February 16, 2011, 06:36 AM. Reason: sleepy fingers
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sandy: That is a beautiful quilt! A true work of art! I had a collection of ties once upon a time. I made a coat with ties all sew on it. It went out of style and I got rid of it and all the ties. Too bad. Coulda had me a tie quilt.
        Wendy

Comment

What a beautiful quilt. I great way to use neckties.
          Suzette

Comment

Sandy as always, your quilt is beautiful. You are so good at it! Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Jan
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I saw the Martha Stewart video just yesterday. They used silk ties to paper piece a log cabin for a pillow. It was really gorgeous and looked like a lot of fun.
              Enjoy your ties..... you're a lucky lady to have them

Hugggs
              Mia
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
              (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Another idea for those ties - cut them if 2.5 x 5 inch pieces and make a coin stack like Jenny shows in the Sympoz tutorials - and then whip them up into a tote. Those of you who have decorative stitches on your sewing machines could quilt using contrasting colored thread . . . just an idea. I also, when I was skinny and could get away with it, made a skirt of men's ties. Took them apart, steamed them flat and made a gored skirt. I have also seen, and wanted to make, a vest using ties - but they used the smaller parts (around the neck) and wove the pieces together then cut the vest out and lined. Adorable.

Comment

Sandy,

When my dad died I got all his ties and had the same ideas. I bought a vest pattern designed for ties but never got around to it and later used the vest pattern with some other fabric. Still have all the ties and am waiting for (um, not sure what ) to start taking them apart.

Pat

Comment

I found this on another website...was posted last year.

It is for a tie purse tie purse.jpg
                    craftbits.com
                    sigpic
                    Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Originally posted by newbiequilter View Post
                      Still have all the ties and am waiting for (um, not sure what ) to start taking them apart.

Pat
                      Once you get the hang of taking them apart they are quick and easy. They are usually sewn with a looped stitch and if you find the right part of the seam you can just pull them loose. There are three or four useful parts. First the silky insert or lining of the tie, the batting or stiffener . . . and I've used these funky fabrics to weave crazy stuff with . . . and then the tie material itself. All of it can be used..

Comment

Working...
                      X