X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carol336
    replied
    Re: A Question for Fabric Hoarders

I'm a full yard girl....and if I really love it 2 or 3 yards. Funny but sometimes when I'm tyding up my stash and I see those 2 or 3 yards lengths, I find myself wondering "oh my, what was I thinking" - LOL. I find that my tastes changes with the seasons sometimes. Oh well I guess that puts me in the SABLE category!!!

Leave a comment:

• lourixe
    replied

This is a really old thread that got mysteriously upped, but the info is still valid. I love scrappy quilts and I am on a budget, so I usually buy half meter yardage, unless it is a large print I intend to use for a border. For me it is funnier to use four different red prints in the same quilt, than a constant red throughout, for instance.

Leave a comment:

• QuiltingRN
    replied

I Love Fabric and my stash is definitely SABLE! When I see fabric I like I buy a yard sometimes 2 yards. I like bright colors and I always have lots of Kona black on hand to mix with it.
    Sew Expo is coming up so I have been trying to curb my fabric addiction, at least until Expo, where I will most likely spend $$$$

Love Fabric!

Leave a comment:

• cathym
    replied

Whichever you decide to buy, when you go to use it, you'll find you need an extra quarter yard at least! That seems to be a quilting law. : )
    I used to buy fat quarters but have found I use yardage much more often. I also used to buy a half yard, but only used that for small wall hangings and I don't make those much anymore. Now, I buy a yard if it's regular price and can use it in one of the 5 yard cut patterns or for kid quilts. I tend not to be a real scrappy fan.
    if there's a big sale, my rules change. : ) Our great quilt shop just closed : ( and the prices were unbelievable. I bought mostly 3 to 5 yards for focus fabrics and backs and 1 yard of some solids or cute kid's fabric to expand my stash.
    Also, I've learned if I buy a precut I should buy enough coordinating fabric for borders and binding at the same time because the fabric has often been unavailable when I've gone to sew it. I have too much fabric, but when I'm doing a quilt, I often find I need another piece to coordinate. : )
    One other thing, make sure you buy some lights and darks. Mediums tend to be the most beautiful, but in quilts, the contrast is what makes thing things pop.

Leave a comment:

• Annababy
    replied

Marshall Dry Goods doesn't count. Just buy as much as you can!

Leave a comment:

• Mimi_Howard
    replied

Annababy's math works for me too! Except for when I am in one of those "open to the public" fabric warehouses.. well I forget how to count 1, 2, 3.. more like 2, 4, 6, 8 when it comes to yardage. BUT I must say I am learning.. buying 8 yards of a theme fabric, well lets just say I have made way TOO many things with Ninja Turtle fabric! We are down to a love/hate relationship. Almost gone thank goodness!

Leave a comment:

• Star lover
    replied

My fabric math never works properly. My addiction is beyond SABLE! When I love it - 3 yards. Works for borders, binding, in the blocks themselves. Try to figure early on (not much luck) what I'll be doing, and if I can, buy the yardage for the backing. So many times I've run across the yardage and what was this for . . .? So now I try to keep track of what of what I want to do. But more often, I change gears. The backing usually still works. Fabric rules in my basement .. . . Sewing room. But oh so pretty and comforting. Love it all. So my math changes every time I see something I can't live without. My husband is an enabler, which doesn't help, but so sweet he understands.

Leave a comment:

• Annababy
    replied

If I need just a little, I buy a yard. If I need a little more, 2 yards. It's called fabric math!

Leave a comment:

• sewhot
    replied

you girls are so funny! I am SURE she was joking!! ops:

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

Thanks shell! Sidetracked for a moment but we all must remember the fabric is king.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Originally posted by stitchywoman
    Originally posted by Natalie
    Fur is cruel...quilts are NOT! We love quilts, and fabric!
    Seriously Nat? I didn't know you felt this way or that I was getting into the politics of this stuff? ops:

oh I didn't take it as political...I just thought she was being sarcastic???

let's just get back to THE FABRIC!!! I mean really....is there room for anything else??? I think not... :mrgreen:

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

I am not going to go down those roads. I say we just stick with the quilting. That is something we can all agree on, well, most of the time!

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

Originally posted by Natalie
    Seriously Nat? I didn't know you felt this way or that I was getting into the politics of this stuff? ops:

Leave a comment:

• Natalie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

So true toggpine! I think I agree that the Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy is a much preferred version! Besides I don't go anywhere that I could even use a fur coat, but my quilts I love! Everyone of them!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X