A Question for Fabric Hoarders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question for Fabric Hoarders

First off I am new here. My name is Mignonne and I have been quilting for a little over a year. I also digi-scrap and blog. I have made several quilt projects but find myself buying far more than I will ever actually be able to use! :shock:

I love collecting. I love having pieces of lots of pretty fabrics. Of course I have great intentions to one day use everything I buy.

There is a collection that has five fabrics in it that I love. I am torn between buying a 1/2 yard each or 1 yard each. I am wondering what quantities do you try have on hand? Do you buy mostly FQ, 1/2 yards, full yards? How much on average do you need to do a quilt top? TIA!

Re: A Question for Fabric Hoarders

Hello!! Welcome to MSQC.....

As far as buying amounts....I usually get a half if I like it....a full if I love it....and 3 if I can't live without it. I tend to buy in spurts...when the mood hits me...kinda like how I quilt LOL....

for quilt tops I have used everywhere from 2 yards to 6.....it all depends on what I'm doing...if there is a lot of sashing....and what size....
    Michele

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't think about the fact that I can add sashing to make it go further. Thank you for that tip!

Comment

Welcome Mignonne! This is a fun place to ask questions and get tips.
        As for your fabric. I think we prefer to call it a "Stash" instead of a hoard. It sounds better, and much less sinister.
        It depends on the price for me. If it is a great deal, then I tend to get more. If I love it and it is expensive, I'll get a smaller piece 1/4 to 1/2 yd., but find a block pattern that will show case those special cuts. Sashing is also a great way to make your quilt bigger without a lot more blocks. I have also found that there are several "scrappy" patterns that will allow me to use up even the smallest slices of my favorite fabrics.
        ops: My stash is a bit out of control at the moment. I have finally put my fabrics together with the pattern or magazine that I want to make the quilt out of. Now to just get to finishing up the ones that I have already in progress, so I can get to the ones I have all of these great ideas for! I am on a fabric diet. :cry: I want to make a huge dent in the fabric I already have, but I have very little self control when faced with all of those lovely colors of fabrics.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Great question Mignonne......

and I love the responses so far.
          It is so hard to know how much to buy for myself as well. Then someone told me that they think the charm packs will one day be collector's items. I was like, "Oh, thanks...now maybe I will become a 'hoarder'." Hahahahah It makes sense though, because you will be able to see the trends, much like you recognize 30's fabric. How great would it be if our great grama's had a pack of 5 inch squares to pass down to us!?!??! (more like boxes and boxes of them, let's be honest)

I know, I know a whole other topic. Geeze, I love fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by sewhot
            How great would it be if our great grama's had a pack of 5 inch squares to pass down to us!?!??! (more like boxes and boxes of them, let's be honest)
            Haha!That's funny Sarah!

I'm a full yard kinda girl myself! If I love it enough to buy it without a purpose and I'm actually out spending money I'll definitely get a full yard! But I like shells theory too!
            Originally posted by shell.scraps
            As far as buying amounts....I usually get a half if I like it....a full if I love it....and 3 if I can't live without it.
            I may have to right that on my palm next time I go fabric shopping!
            To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

LOL you ladies always crack me up! I love how you call it a fabric diet!!! I'm on a real diet and it's hard enough as it is. I can never imagine restricting my fabric intake. I love buying Jelly Rolls and Layer Cakes because they're fat free and calorie free. And I agree, I would always buy a whole yard or more of fabric (actually it's done in meters here in Canada) that way you can always be sure you have enough.

Comment

I usually buy 1/2 yds because it "seems" like I'm spending less money. And it "seems" like I'm not really adding as much fabric to my already piled-high stash. As with most other crafters (doesn't matter which craft) I think the stash is just a given. It's just part of the creativity--to have materials available.

My favorite part of any craft seems to be shopping. It's so hard to resist all the luscious fabrics. I'm sure my husband is happy about that. :?

I discovered a name for this: SABLE (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy).
                This was part of the editor's note in the June '09 issue of Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting magazine.
                Strength and honor are her clothing; she shall rejoice in time to come.

Comment

HAha I love that we can each have a SABLE I wonder which one costs less?

Comment

My guess is that I could have bought the fur coat easily with the $ I have invested in my stash. Although I am sure I would not enjoy it as much as my lovely stacks of cottons, flannels, and fleece. Besides, I can cut these up and make great gifts to warm other people in mind and body. I am pretty sure I couldn't bring myself to to that with the fur coat.

Comment

So true toggpine! I think I agree that the Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy is a much preferred version! Besides I don't go anywhere that I could even use a fur coat, but my quilts I love! Everyone of them!

Comment

Fur is cruel...quilts are NOT! We love quilts, and fabric!

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie
                          Seriously Nat? I didn't know you felt this way or that I was getting into the politics of this stuff? ops:

Comment

I am not going to go down those roads. I say we just stick with the quilting. That is something we can all agree on, well, most of the time!

Comment

Originally posted by stitchywoman
                              Originally posted by Natalie
                              Seriously Nat? I didn't know you felt this way or that I was getting into the politics of this stuff? ops:

oh I didn't take it as political...I just thought she was being sarcastic???

let's just get back to THE FABRIC!!! I mean really....is there room for anything else??? I think not... :mrgreen:
                              Michele

Comment

Working...
                              X