Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's so special about your sewing basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so special about your sewing basket?

I've been using an ancient (but very special) basket woven sewing basket that was my Grandmother's, but unfortunately it is wearing out the the weaving is coming loose (boo). So, I'm in search of a new sewing basket, but the department stores and JoAnn's don't have anything that even remotely interests me...not to mention they are too small.

So tell me about your basket? Why is it so special, and where can I get one?!
    Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
    Summer Lee Quilts

Re: What's so special about your sewing basket?

Summer - that is SO funny that you should ask that question!

My mother makes baskets, and my sewing basket is a beautiful hand made, American made basket that is aging beautifully. Each basket comes with a little story about baskets on the "Blythe Baskets by Barb" tag. I've sewn a multitude of linings for it, and making those linings was a great small project itself.

Yes, you can get them, I can put you in contact with her if you PM me. I don't think she makes baskets anymore but she has many to choose from and sells them at local venues. I would post her email here for anyone interested except for our lurking Spammer... but anyone interested in an extremely reasonable large sewing basket can PM me for info. I have four of her baskets here in NJ on consignment in a gift store, and can send you pics if you're interested. Two of the four I have would make very roomy sewing baskets, and sell for around $25. That's a lot compared to a cheap basket but it's handmade and will be something for your granddaughter to use someday :-).

Hope I don't sound too shameless in plugging, but you did ask :-).
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Deb that is sooo neat. Did I mention that my other addiction is baskets!!!
      I have a lot of them and love everyone.
      I would love the info but I am as pour or poor as a Popper (sp).
      Maybe after I finish all my gifts and then get down to make stuff to sell (need buyers!!) I could find a nook for another basket or fabric or????

Summer I had to toss my basket from my Grandma also, but I think if I dig among a bunch of stuff in storage (here on the ranch) I might find another. But that is a summer project and 2 or 3 months long!!!!

But I truly know what you mean it was hard to do that but it was not save-able.

Thanks for asking;
      Jan G
      Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
      THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
      :lol:

Comment

So tempting. Thanks for bringing this up, Summer. Then I read Deb's answer and a light bulb went off. I don't like the typical sewing baskets that are sold in the stores - although I do have a wooden one that is pretty special, but definitely not big enough to put a quilt in . . . say I was hand-stitching a binding . . . BUT . . .

About a year ago I traveled with my daughter and we stopped for gas. On the edge of the gas station there was an Amish couple selling baskets and I bought a huge one - sort of like a laundry basket size. Unfortunately I can't bring myself to use it for laundry - it's just too pretty. But it is the perfect size for a quilt to snuggle in until it is finished. Now i just need to make a lining with a couple of pockets for my sewing paraphernalia, scissors, thread, needles, pins, thimble, pincushion, measuring tape . . . what else?

Thanks for the idea. That must be item #3768 on my list of things to do.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Deb it would be bad if you threw up a post advertising the baskets, but I think what you did was just fine! You are just answering a question about the availability of a product. From the sounds of things you don't have a semi-truck of them to unload at unbelievable prices!
          It sounds like a nice hand made in the USA product.

I don't use a sewing basket, but I would still love to see yours. You could post a pic in your album and we could all oogle it! I still like to admire things like that.
          My first sewing "basket" is on the way to Goodwill. It is one of the mustard yellow plastic atrocities with a pull out tray and a small storage space below. I have two thread holders that would match it to a T. They belonged to my husband's grandmother. The containers are horrid, but the threads inside are fabulous. I am slowly using the thread and eventually I'll be able to transfer the last bits to the wooden sewing caddy that she had. I'm amazed that Coats and Clark have used the same numbers for the colors for well over 50 years. That, and the fact that you could buy 375 yds of 100% Mercerized Cotton for $1.85, a 500 yd spool of Dual Duty Plus for $0.85, and 125 yds of boil fast mercerized cotton for $0.19. There are quite of few of the 125 yard spools that are wooden. I haven't decided what to do with them when I have used them up. They are too cute to toss out though. I'll have to come up with some clever and useful thing.

Good luck with finding your new sewing basket.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

You could always make a neckless out of the spools. Or how about a wind chime? A door knocker? I wonder who made the first wooden spool and when did he/she decide to put thread on it? How about painting them with a bright acrylic paint and using them for a mobile over a baby crib? Does acrylic paint have lead in it? If yes you can't use it for a baby it will dumb him down. Soak them in different color food dyes and make a parrot toy. You know (I hope,) that I'm kidding. LOL I know it wasn't that funny but it's late and I'm getting silly. I'll stop now. Bye
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

If you have time, post a pic of the baskets. I'm sure we're all curious. Maybe even interested enough to purchase one.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                There are quite of few of the 125 yard spools that are wooden. I haven't decided what to do with them when I have used them up. They are too cute to toss out though. I'll have to come up with some clever and useful thing.
                Item #4822 on my list of things to do involves wooden spools. I want to make a tea-stained, patriotic swag to hang over my sewing room windows (quilted fake flags) and use the wooden spools and some beads between the flags . . . someday. I wish I would start acting on my ideas instead of amassing them. And, I even have the fabric to do this - bought it just special about 5 years ago . . .

PROCRASTINATOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Summer, hi. I got my weaved sewing basket at an auction sale and who would have ever thought it would be full. And I mean full.................needles, pins, zippers, scissors, snaps, thimbles, buttons, and on and on and on. The best part was...........I only paid $5.00 for it. It was my lucky day. I have used it and continue to use it. So maybe you should keep an eye out at some local auctions.
                  Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                    Summer, hi. I got my weaved sewing basket at an auction sale and who would have ever thought it would be full. And I mean full.................needles, pins, zippers, scissors, snaps, thimbles, buttons, and on and on and on. The best part was...........I only paid $5.00 for it. It was my lucky day. I have used it and continue to use it. So maybe you should keep an eye out at some local auctions.
                    I want to go to auctions with you. One of my greatest auction finds was years ago. I bid and won a cardboard sewing kit - about 8x10x12 . . . and it was filled with pieces of thread, ribbons, the usual stuff. BUT when I got home I found that there was a secret bottom in the box and underneath were about 18-20 antique collars and cuff sets. Priceless. Don't remember what I gave for the box, but know that it wasn't much at all.

Comment

Here is the basket that I use for my sewing basket. The rectangular basket and the nest of three baskets are the ones being sold in a local gift shop.
                      Attached Files
                      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                        Here is the basket that I use for my sewing basket. The rectangular basket and the nest of three baskets are the ones being sold in a local gift shop.
                        Deb you Mom has really done a beautiful job on making baskets How ever lucky you are!!
                        Leisa
                        From ~ Gateway to Yosemite Nat'l Park, CA

Comment

Those are lovely, Deb! She really does great work.

For my basket (or box), I really need something that has a lid with some sort of latch as I have an little one who's still under the age of two...and wants mommy's pincushion and scissors sooo bad.

Elaine and Sandy, I've never been to an auction! However, I might poke around and see what kind are going on around here.
                          Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Thanks, Summer and Leisa - I'm proud of her :-).

Comment

So I've had a huge blessing bestowed upon me and I wanted to share! Yesterday, my MIL gave this to me without knowing how badly I needed a new basket.

Evie on sewing box.jpg Sewing box1.jpg

It still needs a latch, but it's the perfect size...(and price!). It's also a great way to show off my littlest star who loves sitting on it.
                              Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Working...
                              X