Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help finding cheap/donated batting and backing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding cheap/donated batting and backing.

As I'm sure some of you have seen, I've recently picked up the quilting bug. Since October 23rd/2010, EVERYONE in my family has received a quilt - and a few friends have received lap quilts, and every couch in my house has one, and my daughters have each made one and I'm NO WHERE NEAR DONE QUILTING!

My new project is this: I'm making as many quilts as I can for a Woman's Shelter in my town. I've had two nice sized donations of fabric to make the tops with, and so far I'm 4 quilts into it with lots of room to go (I'm currently finishing off my first ever card trick quilt, and starting on what will probably 2 or 3 coin stack quilts which will use up all the little scraps I've saved over the numerous quilts I'm already made.) My goal is to make as many as I can (I'm going for a minimum of 25 by Xmas and at this rate will probably go higher then that )

The problem is this - I need batting and backing for them. I have already used personally bought batting and backing for the 4 quilts I've finished, but that will get very costly for me over the long run, and I need to know if any of you know of how I could go about getting some donated?

On 2 of the quilts I ended up piecing the backing together, which in the end looked really nice, but it is much more work to do to ensure it is centered. I'll continue to do that unless I can find a better way to get full piece backings.

But the batting for them is really my main concern at this point.

I live in Canada (Victoria BC) and the only quilting shops that are here are the large stores like Fabricland. I have not contacted them, because I know that it would not work out well with such a large store and the fact that I'm not affiliated with any sort of 'group' doing the project.

Is there any chance that anyone may know where I can get the 'cheapest' batting/backing but still be 'nice' and easy to work with?

All comments, thoughts and ideas of where to look would be great!

IMG_1294.JPG
    This is one quilt I purchased the fabric for from MS and tried my first D9 pattern (which I learned from the tut's here on MS!!!!). Back is pieced with extra charm pack squares down the middle. Binding is wrapped from back to front as I really wanted to get going on my next one and was the quickest way! I will be donating this one to my charity quilts because I think the colors and look of it would make some mom happy to snuggle with!

Thanks everyone!
    Selina

Re: Need help finding cheap/donated batting and backing.

Selina
    I am very touched that you are doing so much to make quilts for others. I don't know if you attend church but if you do, that would be the first place I'd think to ask for donations.

Blessings and hugs
    Mia
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Selina,
      For economical batting go to the local thrift stores or garage sales and buy blankets. Look for wool or fleece type blankets. They are very warm and with a good washing ready for sandwiching. I have made several this way. You can use sheets as backing too. You can also try just polar fleece for the batting and the backing all in one. You can still have the wrap around binding, but wrap from the front to the back instead.
      If you want a lighter weight blanket you can also use a layer of flannel or a flannel sheet. It has a good weight with the two layers of cotton and the flannel. Probably not heavy enough for the arctic blast that we are getting this winter, but good for spring through fall.
      I wouldn't worry too much about centering the pieced backing. If you look at some of them on the quilting blogs they have stripes and blocks of colors pieced together on the back. They usually coordinate somehow to the front, but they aren't perfectly centered.
      Great job on the ones that you have completed so far!
      Cathy
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Selina,

You must be quilting 25 hours a day! And your D9 is so pretty!

If you have Freecycle in your area you could ask for quilting supplies there, and check out any thrift shops such as Goodwill for suitable materials.

Perhaps the woman's shelter will write a letter on their stationery that you could send to companies explaining your project and asking for donations.

Pat

Comment

Selina, Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love the D9 patch and that's what I intend to make next. You have such a big heart to be quilting and donating your quilts. How wonderful and how lucky someone is to get such a beautiful quilt. I look forward to seeing more of your completed projects.
          Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

Selina, I am so happy that you give to the women shelters. They have such great needs and so few people remember they are there. My knitting group have donated clothes and knitted items in various sizes as they sometimes have children with them as well. The battered women's shelter is the one we have donated to. I agree, about getting them to write a letter of introduction for you and sending that to fabric stores or companies to see if they could help you out. Also local quilting shops may have scraps for you. And your church too. They may have members that would like to help you make quilts. I know our churches have quite a few quilting ministries going on. They may direct you to places that may help. Don't be surprised if you have to contact someone else to give as they are usually hidden houses and they don't give out the addresses. That's why I mentioned going to welfare. They know where the safe houses are. They won't tell you where but will get the products delivered for you.
            Thank you for helping your local shelters. The battered women shelters especially need help as no one knows they are there. You might contact the welfare dept in your district as most of those women leave suddenly with nothing but the clothes on their backs and their children with them. They also need winter coats for kids as well and clothes.
            God bless you with your ministry. You are very special. Hugs, Jan L
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Just a thought, do you have 4H in your area? most clubs do a service project every year . Perhaps you could work with them to finish the quilts. See if the club would provide material to finish a couple in exchange for you showing them how to tie or do a simple machine quilt technique.
              scouts do service projects, too. might be another avenue to check out.
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

These are some great places to start with. Thank you everyone!

I had never thought of some of these ideas before (shows how new I really am).

It's going to feel really good to give the quilts to them - to me quilts mean security, warmth, and happiness --> and that is what these women (and children) need at that point in their lives.

Selina

Comment

God Bless you and what you are doing.
                  He will show you the way and the right places to go.

All the Blessings and Angels sent to you in this heartfelt and needed endeavor.
                  Jan G.
                  Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
                  THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
                  :lol:

Comment

Working...
                  X