Math question for embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math question for embroidery

I'm making a gift and before I buy the design I want to be sure how big the design is. I looked for a converter but they all break it down to cm. Some measurements I can round off, like 4.88 is close enough to 5''. But what would 8.35 be equivalent to? Anyone have a formula trick?
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Math question for embroidery

I'm not understanding your question? 2.54 cm = 1 in. Therefore 8.35 cm = 3.2874in (3 9/32).. Is this what your trying to ask?
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

I'll ask a different way. lol The design is 8.35'' x 5.89'' . I'm trying to find out what .35 would be , as in 1/8'' 1/4'' Like that. Does that make more sense?
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

.375 is equal to 3/8. Is that what you are looking for?

Comment

OK 35/100 = 2.8 /8. So yes, if your looking to see the closest division by 8th's ,it's a bit under 3/8 inch.
          SandyWhite
          Ocala, Florida

Comment

.359375 is 23/64 or close to 3/8ths. .890625 is 57/64 so the .88 is a little over 7/8th.
            Donna

Comment

Originally posted by SandyWhite View Post
              OK 35/100 = 2.8 /8. So yes, if your looking to see the closest division by 8th's ,it's a bit under 3/8 inch.
              I'm going to respond back to you because there were to many numbers in the other responses lol. I got how you got to 2.8 but when I did it on the calculator it comes back to 35. How did you get 3/8 th's? I'm really good at baking measurements (most of the time, lol) I got c's and d's in math my whole life, so the last part is stumping me.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hey there,,, i'm a REALLY math challenged type person so here goes something, i hope i'm right about...

I look at number like as if it is a "whole", which is being 100% right?...
                Now i know that a "half" is 50%,,, a third is 33% and three-quarters is 75%... that being said... if your number is 8.39,,, it's pretty close to 33 or a "third".. and if you can think of an "inch" being the whole 100%,,, then do a visual of 1/3rd of an inch.... THERE... are you thoroughly confused now!!! LOL
                But honestly,,, this works for me... as a Math challenged person... i guess "fractions" and decimals made the most send to me in the school system... it's about as far as i got before giving up!!!!
                ps... it's ok to laugh your butts off at me...i'm used to it...good thing i'm married to the retired "precision machinist"....hehehehhe
                Last edited by GrammaBabs; May 30, 2013, 04:05 PM.
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

A tiny bit Babs. lol I don't really need it to the exact measurement just close. I'm putting the embroidery in a wooden hoop so I needed to know what size to buy. But I do want to figure this out for next time
                  Last edited by Hulamoon; May 30, 2013, 05:50 PM.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I usually just go online and find a conversion calculator. http://www.calculateme.com/Length/Ce...s/ToInches.htm

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      I'm going to respond back to you because there were to many numbers in the other responses lol. I got how you got to 2.8 but when I did it on the calculator it comes back to 35. How did you get 3/8 th's? I'm really good at baking measurements (most of the time, lol) I got c's and d's in math my whole life, so the last part is stumping me.

Algebra. Studied it way back and it comes in handy. 35/100 is equal to x/8. To figure out x, 35 times 8= 280 then 280/100= 2.8. ..so 35/100 is equal to 2.8/8
                      Last edited by SandyWhite; May 30, 2013, 07:19 PM.
                      SandyWhite
                      Ocala, Florida

Comment

Algebra. Studied it way back and it comes in handy. 35/100 is equal to x/8. To figure out x, 35 times 8= 280 then 280/100= 2.8. ..so 35/100 is equal to 2.8/8
                        I understand that part, just don't know how you got to 3/8. That's the part confusing me. I never got past new math. Bouncing around schools. Never took algebra or geometry. Sad huh?
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'll ask a different way. lol The design is 8.35'' x 5.89'' . I'm trying to find out what .35 would be , as in 1/8'' 1/4'' Like that. Does that make more sense?
                          The design will be a little less than 8 1/2" x 6". Is that what you are looking for?

Comment

I understand that part, just don't know how you got to 3/8. That's the part confusing me. I never got past new math. Bouncing around schools. Never took algebra or geometry. Sad huh?
                            So you know, math is not everyones thing. Well I didn't get 3/8 actually (same as 3 divided by 8) , I got 2.8/8 (same as 2.8 divided by 8). But 2.8 is just a bit under 3. Um..see what I mean?
                            SandyWhite
                            Ocala, Florida

Comment

So you know, math is not everyones thing. Well I didn't get 3/8 actually (same as 3 divided by 8) , I got 2.8/8 (same as 2.8 divided by 8). But 2.8 is just a bit under 3. Um..see what I mean?
                              Yeah, I think I'm pressuring myself too much to learn math right now. lol

And thanks Eliza (made perfect sense) and everyone that tossed in suggestions

I can't wait to get my embroidery machine out again . You will see it or get it at the end of the year.

wink smiley.jpg
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X