Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handmade gifts for the holidays...

Anyone doing quilted gifts?

I just bought Nancy Halvorsen's "I Believe" book and it has several cute things I'm looking at modifying into smaller things like hot pads or dish towels etc.

I want to make stuff, but I work full time, go to college nights/weekends....and quilting is my creative outlet, don't want it to become a chore, LOL, heaven forbid....

Anyone else?

Re: Handmade gifts for the holidays...

I want to but agree about making it a chore, so I've settled on doing some but still hugely debating on what to make! :| Geez I hate decisions!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

I would like to do some more gifts like that, what kind of ideas are in the 'I believe' book? What has anyone else done?

And I know what you mean about not letting it become a chore, if projects would finish themselves though, I wouldn't ever have that problem.

Comment

This is the link - there are a LOT of really cute designs, small to large projects, but being me, I'd want to make them into something else, LOL.

http://shop.arttoheart.com/product.sc?productId=540

I'm thinking mug cozies...table runners...aprons....hot pads...Speaking of hot pads, I finished my first "Pot Pincher" by VAnilla House - Super cute and totally easy. http://www.vanillahousedesigns.com/p156-pot-pinchers/

Comment

I guess it depends on the person for the gift. No sense in making something that won't be used or appreciated.
          I have made small quilts, seasonal cloth napkins, stuffed animals, character hooded towels for the little kids, and one of the favorites was a set of coasters. I made 4 coasters in different fabrics for each month and each holiday. I tied them together in bundles and I put them in a basket so she could use them when entertaining her bridge ladies. It wasn't very expensive, but it was fun for her to rotate through them. If you need ideas, check some of the fabric stores for their pattern sales. Sometimes you can get them for $1 or $2 per pattern.
          My sister gave us each tickets to a play, a magazine subscription, or some other experience that we could enjoy without a lot of junk being exchanged. That was kind of nice too. You can find some good deals on local half-off sites. I know we have some here in the greater Seattle area. You buy a $50 certificate for $25 or less, and that helps stretch the budget too.
          If the gifts match the person, then that is all that matters.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

You know that is a BIG point with me - not wasting my very precious time making something for someone who won't like/use it. My 2nd daughter is not a fan of quilts for her self. She thinks they are old fashioned and not in a good way, lol. I would really be setting myself up to be disappointed if I went to all the trouble to make her one (or something else quilted) - because she wouldn't use it and wouldn't care for it - and then what's the point? Handmade is great as long as it meets ALL the criteria for you and the receipient..including they would ENJOY it!

The pink bunny suit pjs from The Christmas Story come to mind, LOL!

Comment

I agree with making handmade gifts for those who will not appreciate them. I just made a purse for a friend thinking that she might like that better than a quilt. I spent hours making it. It was a quilted purse with a zipper and pockets inside.....a lot of work. I made it from the Neptune collection so it was really beautiful. All she said when I gave it to her was thanks. What a let down. I guess that sometimes the excitement of making something for someone has to out weigh the reaction when given.

Comment

You know, what I've finally started doing when I am not TOTALLY sure someone will like my handmade gift is to flat out ASK them! Can't really surprise anyone that way, but also no let down or hurt feelings.

I used to knit...a lot...and had a knit blog. I made knit blog friends - lovely ladies! one of them sent me a care package once which was so very kind and thoughtful...but we did not have the same taste at all. Being on the receiving end of a handmade gift I didn't care for was very enlightening. I decided I would "craft" my heart out only for those I knew would love it, or I'd do it for myself and try really hard not to foist it off my creations on others, LOL.

It's hard to know until you ask, and I've just started being blunt and asking! Saying 'it won't hurt my feelings if you say you would rather not get **** - it would hurt my feelings if I made it and you didn't like it, so save us both the trouble and just be honest".

Comment

i find the blog www.sewmamasew.com to have many ideas. check out the area that says handmade holidays. also www.oneprettything.com posts new ideas/tutorials every day. lots of great gift ideas on there. i have always enjoyed making the coasters on this site: http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/20 ... _coas.html make an apron to go with it and tuck the coasters inside the pockets. you can find an apron tutorial on oneprettything or google "apron tutorial blog".

Comment

Hi there everyone from Canada

I love this site and the store. I am a very new quilter and am thrilled to find the pre cut material. My problem was always cutting the pieces correctly. My mom was a quilter...but she did it all from hand from the cutting and piecing together and then the quilting on top. She was great at it. But sad to say she has passed and never passed on that part to me( she gave me the seamstress bug instead). I want to learn because I can sew and sadly alot of her quilts were lost when my sister lost her house to a fire. So long story short not only do I want to help my sister but I want to keep the quilting alive too. I used to make her gifts all the time from stuffed crafts to painted ceramics and even plastic canvas..you name it I made it one time or another. She has hinted that I have to start making them all over again LOL. Most everyone in my family and my husbands looks forward to every year when I make their gifts(women usually lol), I made my sister in law a 4 foot santa one year...took hubby 4 days to stuff it.

I think that homemade is making a comeback because you have to put time and love into the gift and it shows more than just going and buying something that they really don't want or need.

Maggie

Comment

Working...
                    X