Tension trauma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tension trauma

My bleepity bleep bleep machine is acting up. I have bottom thread looping on the top fabric, no matter what I do to do the tension adjustment. What is the next step, does anyone know?
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: Tension trauma

Deb have you cleaned all the lint and fluff out of the bobbin area and changed your needle. A blunt needle can make all the difference with the timing and hence how the threads go together and the tension. And we all know that a tiny bit of fuzz can wreck havoc if it gets in the wrong place. I hope you get things sorted out, it's no fun when you have an unhappy machine.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Sorry Deb - that is the pits - When I am about to go crazy, I've learned to stop, get a cup of tea and then return and start from scratch (i.e. clean everything, then redo the bobbin and needle threading) Good luck! Linda

Comment

I usually re-thread in case something came undone that i missed. I also make sure I put the bobbin in the right way. that will usually fix it for me.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          Deb have you cleaned all the lint and fluff out of the bobbin area and changed your needle. A blunt needle can make all the difference with the timing and hence how the threads go together and the tension. And we all know that a tiny bit of fuzz can wreck havoc if it gets in the wrong place. I hope you get things sorted out, it's no fun when you have an unhappy machine.
          I'm actually having the opposite problem. My bobbin is continually getting caught. How often do you suggest changing needles?
          Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
          Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Summer, I was watching a tv program on quilting today and the quilter said to change your needle each time it hits a pin ....... or if that doesn't happen .... (if you're smarter than I and remove all of your pins lol.)........she said to change it after every eight hours of sewing.

Hope that helps a bit

Mia
            ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
            Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
            (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I had trouble with what I thought was my bobbin and found out it was the thread. For some reason my machine doesn't like polyester thread. I switched to rayon and it worked fine. Tried cotton it was fine. tried polyester again it acted up. I had changed needles, cleaned bobbin, rethreaded nothing worked till I changed the tread. Go figure, I can't. Hugs, Jan L
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by SummerK View Post
                I'm actually having the opposite problem. My bobbin is continually getting caught. How often do you suggest changing needles?
                Try changing your bobbin. It could have a burr on it that is catching the thread. If you using plastic bobbins, change bobbin. Metal see if you can feel the burr. You can take emery cloth and rub it gently till the burrs go away. If your using a cardboard bobbin it may have a tear on it, change the bobbin. It may not be any of these but something to consider. Hope this helps. Hugs, Jan
                Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Another thing to remember is to always have the presser foot completely up when threading your machine. This is the only way to guarantee the tension disks are fully open and the thread goes all the way into them. It's easy to test and see if it's fully in there, just thread your machine, put the foot down and tug slightly on the thread. If it won't pull through, you're good to go, if it pulls through, you need to raise the foot and re-thread.
                  Lola
                  :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Summer with the needle, as per Mia's post with the exception that I will also change needles when I start a new project if the last one was quite large, so this is not every time.

Looping in the bottom is also quite likely machine timing. You may have read one of my posts on one of Sandy's threads recently where my grandson was sewing, got a knot at the edge of the fabric , the needle hit the knot and threw the timing out, it doesn't take much. It was looping the top thread in the bobbin area and breaking the thread. The timing had been knocked far enough that the top thread was not looping around the bobbin hook, one very unhappy machine.

I hope by now you have things sorted out.
                    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!
                      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                        Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!
                        Deb, on my HV embroidery machine recently (prior to her yearly check up) I was having a similar problem and found the very tiniest of tiny - almost nonvisible cilia stuck in the tension discs. You can't believe how very small it was, but once it was removed the looping stopped.
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm going to try what you all have mentioned and hopefully something will work. It's making my seems wonky and I'm having to rip out and redo almost every 5" or so.

Btw, you guys rock.
                          Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Thanks Lynn, Linda, and everyone else for the suggestions... I changed the needle, blew out the bobbin area, changed bobbins, rethreaded the machine... what finally worked was using a different bobbin. Thanks so much for the help!

Comment

So, I changed the needle and put cotton thread in (was using polyester) and it worked! It's running much smoother.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I was really getting frustrated and down at not being able to do what I wanted.
                              Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Working...
                              X