Quilts for Kids charity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilts for Kids charity?

Hi- My mom and I just joined with the local chapter and I was wondering if anyone worked with this organization? Do you have any easy pattern ideas? I just did the pinwheel (that they show here on the site) and it came out perfect! Love it! Would like some more ideas - thanks!!
    Betty

Re: Quilts for Kids charity?

Great idea! I have thought about working with QfK when I got the hand of quilting (I just started at New Years), but I would think that the Disappearing 9-patch would be an easy and cute pattern for kids quilts. They look like a bunch of work goes into them and you can showcase fun, kids prints.
    Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
    Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

I have done the Downy Quilts for Kids. You request a quilt and they send you everything but the batting and thread and you complete, wash and send it back. The quilts are already cut and come with the instructions. You can also make your own and send them in. They have certain guidelines.
      Such a nice thing to make these and I always sew extra love into these quilts for the little ones!
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I have requested a kit from them and then see what I have in my stash. I have used panels and just added borders, I have also done a pinwheel. They have on there website a gallery you can look at. It will give you lots of ideas. They are great to work with.
        Suzette

Comment

Thanks for all the info! This is going to be so much fun and will be great practice!

Comment

I did one for Downy QFK last summer and loved it! I was a bit over their time limit, but they were very understanding of a family crisis. The fabric was all cut, strips that I strip pieced and then sewed into 4 patches, backing was cut as well and I just had to provided the batting and thread. Their backing is large enough that you can wrap it around to the front for the binding, but I was able to find fabric from the same line and made double fold binding. It was a very easy quilt-their instructions are excellent and so much fun to do.
            Have fun and keep us updated on how you are doing with your quilt!
            Lola
            :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Hi- We didn't get a kit when we went to the meeting. They had a huge bin full of fabric that you could pick from. I took some cute barnyard fabric but I used some blues that I had already cut into 6" squares. I will use the barnyard for the next one. I make the top, then take it and put the backing and batting with it, then bring it home to quilt and finish. I will try to put a picture on!
              Attached Files

Comment

I just ordered my quilt kit, but haven't gotten it yet. I am so excited to get it and help little children. I'm a newbie to quilting, so I am hoping the pattern will be a simple one.

Comment

Thanks for the info ladies. I shall order a quilt kit tomorrow.

Comment

OMG! What a pretty quilt!

Comment

Thank you! I am dying to see your quilts when you finish them!

Comment

I have one I am making up as I go along...for a friend. And I just signed up for an all day class on making a kaleidoscope quilt. I have no clue how to do this but I went wild with color! yay! Gotta have color!

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has an in-process or completed pic of one of these? I just took the plunge and ordered a kit - no local chapter here. Can't wait to see what pattern and fabric I get!
                          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Debi, I just added a pic to my album of a QFK quilt I did last summer . The kit was from them, I just added the aqua binding fabric and batting. It was alot of fun, and I am hoping to do another for them in the future.

Lola
                            :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I received a pre-cut quilt kit from "quilts for kids.org " within 2 weeks of requesting to be involved in the Downy sponsored program.
                              I have posted the completed child's quilt in my February album .

Comment

Working...
                              X