Is Joann's that desperate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Joann's that desperate?

The GUY never heard of it. Hmmm. Not to be critical, but does he quilt or sew? There are guys who do. Then there are some folks who will take a job to get a paycheck and don't really bother to figure out what they are selling.

We have some guys that work at the local JoAnn. The one older guy said he got a job there 'cause he can measure in fractions, and it was one of the only ways he figured he'd see his wife. He doesn't know a lot of the technical stuff about sewing, but he can reach the stuff on the high shelves! He has such a good sense of humor we are all very patient if he is trying to help us. The other fellow who works there is a costume designer for a couple of theater groups. He has been a wonderful resource for some clothing sewing questions I had. He's not a quilter, but he does know his fabrics.

I hope that you can find the mat. If not, consider ordering it online. Their coupons are good for online purchases too.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew I wasn't crazy - lol! I'll probably order it online someday - like the size of the big one - with a coupon. I'm not cutting smaller sizes right now, so I can wait a little bit.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

If it's one of the smaller stores they may not carry it. I have two relatively new stores about 15 milies from me. One is just a "regular" store the other one is "crafts and more". there is a big difference in what they carry.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

We have a new JoAnn's and it is huge. The last time I bought muslin, there was 6" left and the lady didn't charge me for it. I htink it all depends on the store. However....I just don't care for the place. I just don't like the feel of the place. I prefer to go to the LQS instead. But some things have good prices at J's.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
            Wow Lin, that is bad.
            They MUST have different management across the country. My grandmother in Tulsa, OK says their J's is horribly dingy and depressing, somewhat similar to what you are describing. They don't have much in the way of a selection of merchandise either.
            I hadn't been in J's for a couple of years because I've been concentrating on school instead of fun things like quilting. Went in for the first time yesterday and was shocked at how much it had changed. The place I remembered was bright, clean, and friendly. The place I walked into yesterday had terrible lighting, was dirty, and the clerks acted like they couldn't be bothered.

I was looking for FQs for a little hand applique project I'm doing. In the past I use to purchase a lot of my FQs at J's because they had such a good selection at a reasonable price. The fabric I saw yesterday severly disappointed me. I'm particular about the fabric I use for hand applique; if the thread count is too low, things don't work well. The fabrics I found at J's yesterday were terrible. Even my DH could tell they were cheap. At one point he held his hand behind a medium green print and said "look you can see through it". This isn't the J's I remembered.

I thought maybe I was just imaginining things. But when I got home, I was rummaging through my stash and found some FQs I bought several years ago that still had J's stickers on them. There is a marked difference in the quality of the fabric I bought 4 or 5 years ago and what I found in the store yesterday. Its really a shame, because it use to be such a good store.

-M

Comment

They changed the supplier for their FQs a year or so ago. I asked about it when all of a sudden the racks were getting empty and they were selling them for much less than normal. Something about the quality of the fabrics was the line I was given for the change over. Funny, it used to be better quality in my opinion! I think it had more to do with the price than anything. Not that they are any less expensive now. If I wait, I can find the good, name-brand quilters cotton on sale for $2/FQ and that is what they are charging for crap cottons there.
              If I buy fabrics from J's I really watch the quality closely. Sometimes you find gems tucked in with the junk. Sometimes. Since I am on a fabric diet anyway, I stick to the durable items and the notions for which I have coupons to get the best prices possible on those.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X