• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sew Perfect
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2012

Who Has A Sewing Room In The Basement?

I have a 4 bedroom house; one of my bedrooms is my sewing room. I recently did a poll on whether I should keep my sewing room as it is or move it to the bedroom my daughter just moved out of. It's the on that faces the back garden.

Now to the point:

The contractor guy just left my house. He was here looking at some things we need taken care of. Some of our windows need to be replaced, we need some doors replaced, and then I showed him our basement. My husband and I have been talking about getting half of it finished off. We want the area where we exercise to be finished off and the other side to be something else, such as a sewing room. I would like french doors between the 2 rooms.

I explained to him that I wanted to keep our home a 4 bedroom home for when we have grandchildren and for resale value. The last thing we want is another T.V. room, so I explained to him about my passion for sewing. We already have two windows in the basement where the sewing room would be and he would had another. We discussed built in shelving, flooring, french doors, and all else on the subject. When we were finished talking and brain storming, I once again expressed to him just how it is important to have a fantastic room to sew in. I told him that once our windows are taken care of, that room is at the top of my list.

So...back to my question:

Who has their sewing room in their basement and how do you like it? Do you feel afraid at night or anything like that? Also, if you have pictures, would you mind posting them so I can see for ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    sigpicMISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html
  • kensington
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Who Has A Sewing Room In The Basement?

I do not. I like having my sewing room on my main floor so that I can stop and sew or sew and go as I please. Sometimes, I want to put something in the oven and sew for the hour or half hour while it's in. I have a finished basement, but no desire to go up and down the stairs all the time to access my craft room. I understand, I have gone over this many times also in my head. I have 6 bedrooms and sometimes think I should make the big one on the 3rd floor my sewing room. Or the Master suite in the finished basement, it's walk out so it's just like an apartment down there. I just can't get past having to go up or down stairs all the time to spend time here and there sewing. I just like having it down the hall from the living room, the den where I am now or just steps from the kitchen. Even though, moving it would give me a bigger space. I feel for ya. I just don't know what you should do.

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

No basement but a loft. That was our bedroom when we first built. Added on when second kiddo was coming. It was a really small house. I'm not afraid of the dark for some reason. We never lock our doors and I've been known to take walks up the street at 2 am. lol It's a super peaceful place.

As far as space. I have built in shelving and then a Home Depot cabinet. Three tables. One is an old wooden foldout dinning table and the other two are banquet tables from Wally world. Some rolling (4) stacked containers. Peg board and other containers that go under the tables. I have a before pic but not after when I did the comic book cards. It gets really hot up there though.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• mom4him
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2013

I don't. My sewing area is a very small space in our bedroom. It makes my knees hurt just to think about going up and down the stairs all the time to sew. We had our bedrooms down stairs and moved them up about 18months ago. My knees haven't felt so good in years. Personally, I would not want to move my area down stairs even if it gained me a lot of room.
        Be blessed,
        Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Comment

• bubba
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2013

When I did woodworking, my shop was in the basement. That was before our big remodel and you had to go outside to get into the basement and I was always a little scared. Now that it is accessed from only inside the house, it would not bother me, but I would not put my sewing room down there. In the rainy season, it gets too damp and I'd be afraid of my machines getting damaged.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

I do have my main sewing room in the basement. It doesn't have windows but is very well lit. It has storage for fabrics and threads, several sewing stations, and I designed it with my contractor who finished the whole basememt. I have a big bedroom down there, which is where I do my quilt layout and have a partial fabric stash. That room has all the windows, so I put french doors on it so light can come into the family room area. Then I have a partially finished room (walls but not the floor or ceiling). It was going to be my late husband's workshop, unfortunately, he passed away before he could use it. There is also a bathroom and linen closet, plus a cedar closet for storage. I love it! I can make a mess, especially when I am costuming a big show and close the basement door and guests can't see the mess. Love it. The only time I don't like the steps is when the doorbell rings, I have a long trek to answer it. It is cool down there in the summer, and warmer in winter than upstairs. Very comfortable and plenty of room. My longarm is in the workshop part of the basement.
            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 2, 2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Bubby
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

My Hubs wanted to make me a sewing studio out of our detached 2-car garage. It's about 20 feet from our front door. At first I was tempted by the thought of all that space. Then I thought about how I sew. I often have trouble sleeping and I love to wander into my sewing room, which is off our kitchen, and sew for an hour or so. Then I thought about what I might encounter outside on the way to my sewing room in the middle of the night...possibly snakes in the summer and ice in the winter. Keeping my sewing space where it is was my decision. My space is small but well organized. I can do laundry and also monitor food on the stove with just a few steps away from my sewng. My husband likes to check on me if he wakes up in the middle of the night and I'm not in bed...I know he wouldn't like walking outdoors to the garage.

Think about how you sew. I have heard from others that having their sewing space either up or down from where they live deters them from sewing. Take your age into consderation also...how many years do you think you would be able to run up and down the stairs? There are a lot of considerations. If you already have health issues this might not be the best decision. I never thought I would get old, but it happened anyway!!

Good luck making your decision!
              Last edited by Bubby; May 2, 2013, 03:33 PM.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• K. McEuen
                Super Moderator
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

No basements in New Mexico, but I don't get the "scared" part of having a sewing room in the basement. What is there to be afraid of, the house caving in on you?
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Bubby
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

Karen....The Boogieman lives in the basement! We have a basement in our old house in town and we call it the Dungeon!!
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• K. McEuen
                    Super Moderator
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                    Karen....The Boogieman lives in the basement! We have a basement in our old house in town and we call it the Dungeon!!
                    Ya know, I was wondering if that was what was meant. I can understand if you are scared of flooding or water damage, and if you have to go outside to get to the basement, but really, it shouldn't be any different than any other part of your house. Personally I'd love it if we could utilize basements here because of the cool/heat aspect that Jean mentioned.
                    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Gayle8675309
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2011

I have my sewing room in my basement and I love it. It has patio doors that walk out onto a garden, so there is a lot of natural light. My hubby put in tru-white lights and built me a huge quilting table. My sewing room takes up 1/2 of our full finished basement. I love it down there!
                      Gayle

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

My sewing room is in the basement, in fact we bought this house so I could have room for a drapery sewing business. No longer in business but still sewing.
                        I almost always just sew in the daytime but would not be afraid of being there at night if I wanted. The only advice I have is to make sure you have a bathroom on the same level. I went up and downstairs for years and finally put in a toilet. It was a very happy day.
                        We actually have two stories plus the basement and I don't go up and down any more than necessary but I feel that because I have been using stairs for the last 13 years I will be able to continue using stairs for at least another 13.
                        I could take some pictures but they would not be pretty or anything to pattern your space from. It is fairly rough with an open raftered ceiling and concrete walls. I do have some ceiling tiles on one wall that I use as a design wall.
                        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Gayle8675309
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2011

I have my sewing room in my basement and I love it. It has patio doors that walk out onto a garden, so there is a lot of natural light. My hubby put in tru-white lights and built me a huge quilting table (4 feet by 7 feet). My sewing room takes up 1/2 of our full finished basement. I love it down there!
                          Gayle

Comment

• Sew Perfect
                            Missouri Star
                            • Sep 2012

As of now, the stairs don't bother me. We already live in a 2 story how and my husband and I already decided if the stairs became too much for us that we would move. Right now, we are 45 years old, hopefully there's some time.

I'm thinking, like Jean, it would be a good idea which is why I want to know what others prefer for themselve

Yes, the boogieman lives in the basement. LOL
                            sigpicMISA
                            I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

• Genny
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Sew Perfect View Post
                              I have a 4 bedroom house; one of my bedrooms is my sewing room. I recently did a poll on whether I should keep my sewing room as it is or move it to the bedroom my daughter just moved out of. It's the on that faces the back garden.

Now to the point:

The contractor guy just left my house. He was here looking at some things we need taken care of. Some of our windows need to be replaced, we need some doors replaced, and then I showed him our basement. My husband and I have been talking about getting half of it finished off. We want the area where we exercise to be finished off and the other side to be something else, such as a sewing room. I would like french doors between the 2 rooms.

I explained to him that I wanted to keep our home a 4 bedroom home for when we have grandchildren and for resale value. The last thing we want is another T.V. room, so I explained to him about my passion for sewing. We already have two windows in the basement where the sewing room would be and he would had another. We discussed built in shelving, flooring, french doors, and all else on the subject. When we were finished talking and brain storming, I once again expressed to him just how it is important to have a fantastic room to sew in. I told him that once our windows are taken care of, that room is at the top of my list.

So...back to my question:

Who has their sewing room in their basement and how do you like it? Do you feel afraid at night or anything like that? Also, if you have pictures, would you mind posting them so I can see for ideas?

Thanks in advance.
                              I think a sewing room in the basement would be great, but personally given the choice...I'd go for the room that faces the garden.
                              TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Working...
                              X