After School Quilt Clubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After School Quilt Clubs?

I would love to do a small after school quilt club at my school. Does anyone know of another person/club that does this? I have absolutely no idea how to organize one.
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: After School Quilt Clubs?

What an awesome idea! I don't know of another one - so be a pioneer! Girls need mentors today, and this would be so wonderful to offer! I wonder if you could start by talking to a HOME EC teacher??? That might give you excess to a room with equipment in it (?).
    I'm going to keep this in mind and let myself chew on it for awhile. I love the idea and wonder if there is a way for one to be here, too.
    Thanks for getting me thinking! Debi

Comment

Are the even anymore HomeEc. teachers left? I loved HomeEc.--learned the basics of sewing and cooking. I'm thinking a small group and a very simple wall hanging. I want to do this, because my own daughter doesn't have a clue what to do with a sewing machine. I'm so afraid sewing and quilting is going to become a lost art.
      Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

I don't have any ideas for you about organizing a club, but I am enjoying spending time with my three granddaughters in the sewing room. This past Tuesday when we got together we did sit down in a circle and talk about what we wanted to do on their special "Nana Days". As an aside, they were in the habit of wanting a special day with me, when no one else could share their time. With SIX girls it was beginning to take it's toll on me and I wasn't able to get done what I needed to get done for me. Also they thought the special day should always include a trip to Target and an expensive lunch out . . . and in this economy I just had to put a stop to that.

So, with the three who are into sewing we sat down and talked, they each sit at their own sewing machine and even though their projects were different, they were all stopped and shown details of another's work if I felt it would benefit them. They got instructions on threading the machine from start to finish, loading bobbins, terminology . . . and it will continue.

I think that with a potentially larger group - and probably the lack of machines for each child, you could show them the basics of hand quilting and take them into applique . . . the world is their art box.

How EXCITING!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Oh, and it just occurred to me, you need to set a deadline and a special 'show and tell' so they can share their finished projects with family and friends . . . and maybe a special 'award' or ribbon for people's choice . . . and most creative . . . and best use of colors . . . whatever so everyone is patted on their back for their achievements.

And what about scouting out a local sewing / quilting store ahead of time and coming up with a shopping list of necessary items, then a 'field trip' to purchase what they need . . . scissors, fabric, pins . . .

Good luck. Can I come and join, too?

Comment

Sandy--How old were your GD's when you started sewing with them? What machine did you start them with? Mine are too young right not, but I just can't wait.
            Lisa

Comment

We only have 2 schools here - the elementary, and the middle/high are basically together. We have one teacher who works with her reading kids and every year they've made a special story quilt on books they've read. At the high school there is a home ec teacher who does teach sewing. I would check to see if there are any after school programs where they might have kids who would want to learn quilting. The criteria for the kids allowed to be in that program is that no parent is home when the kid comes home after school.
              So maybe someone at your local school can help you out.
              Good luck in your adventure.

Hugs,
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish View Post
                The criteria for the kids allowed to be in that program is that no parent is home when the kid comes home after school.
                Trish are you saying that only children without parents at home are allowed in the program? I understand catering for children in this situation, but that seems a little unfair on children who have parents at home but who may like to be in the program. Just my thoughts.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Some thoughts on an after school quilting group (from previous experience). Start them younger if possible, maybe 8-10 years if they are interested. At this age they can be enthusiastic and a joy to work with, enjoying their own accomplishments and appreciating their fellow quilters work. As they get older a sense of competition and 'mines better than yours' can set in, sometimes leaving some hurt feelings and young people no longer interested through loss of self esteem. Another factor with the 'teen' girls is the giggle factor, so you may want to limit how many of them are in the one room at a time.

Don't let me put you off, I think it's a great idea. You may need to think carefully about how many you can manage, and what their potential skill levels are, if you get a few who really struggle then the class may stop being fun. I've worked one on one with a young lady with dyslexia and that was a full time task in itself. But I've had some who once you show them how to thread the needle and sew a 1/4", they don't look back.

I hope you go ahead with the plan, it would be great to get more young people sewing.
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Yes, it's an after school program so the kids don't have to go home to an empty house and the slots are all filled up. They work on getting their homework done, give them computer time, have a snack, and there is also some gym/playing time. It runs from after school until about 6 when they are either picked up by a parent returning from work or bussed home. They use some kind of state or federal grant to run it. The grades they accept are from kindergarten through 6th grade. They even have the older kids from 9th grade on up hired to work with them. 8th grade. They even have crafts in there if a volunteer comes in with their own supplies.
                    There was an elderly lady that came in and the kids worked on blocks that got sewn together for a quilt that got entered into the County Fair. I think that's hanging somewhere in the school. Or, if your County or State has a fair, they usually have some sort of block contest and you could get the rules on the block and they could make their own and submit them for ribbons or cash prizes - sometimes they get to take their block home or sometimes they keep them and then they get sewed into a larger quilt and then that gets auctioned off - don't know where the proceeds go to though.

Well, just a few ideas.

Hugs,
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Do you have a 4-H club? Maybe you could start one in that program. Or check with the Agricultural Extension office. Maybe they have some ideas and/or resources to help you get started.
                      Shelia

Comment

Is 4H available in your area? It has been extended in some areas to include school programs. Talk to your local extension office and see if they have any school /enrichment programs that could include a quilting group. another option that was mentioned before was starting your own 4H club. "specialty" 4H clubs are popular too(at least here they are). so many schools have eliminated Home Ec. and similar programs that 4H is stepping into fill those gaps
                        (Can you telll I'm a supporter of 4H?)
                        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I never thought of 4H--I think I will contact them.
                          Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by lhayes1976 View Post
                            Sandy--How old were your GD's when you started sewing with them? What machine did you start them with? Mine are too young right not, but I just can't wait.
                            I wrote a meaty answer to this last night and got timed-out - kicked off. Thank you YSGLG!!

Anyway, the GDs I'm working with have only been sewing with me a few months - about six - and one is 6 years old, one 8, and the other 10. The older (19YO) granddaughter did a project when she was about 11 or 12 years for 4-H and was scared witless by the sewing machine and I can't get her back to try again. She'd rather avoid doing something than risk what she sees as a failure. She has learning difficulties . . . so I occasionally try the gentle approach to get her back but it hasn't worked . . . yet.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish View Post
                              Yes, it's an after school program so the kids don't have to go home to an empty house and the slots are all filled up.
                              Thanks for the reply Trish, this is the same as our OSHC - out of school hours care and is a fabulous program. I thought you meant it was just an after school optional activity with restrictions, this is different. Our program is run by the individual schools with some govt funding and guidelines but mostly volunteer helpers like mums. The parents who use it usually contribute to the cost so not all parents use it sadly which means there are still young children left unattended after school.
                              Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X