• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcbatiks
    replied
    Re: My Dog is a kleptomaniac

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
    LOL - love the stories.

Our furbaby has gone on to doggie heaven. He was a rescue dog also. Half Black Lab and half Border Collie and weighed around 60 pounds. Shortly after he came to live with us, he stole a half dozen biscuits and a pot of gravy off the stove. There was no mess. No crumbs but most important - no broken dishes. The pot was sitting on the floor and licked clean as was the baking sheet where the biscuits were. He did not look the least bit guilty! As a matter of fact, he was grinning.

Another time, our youngest who was only 9 at the time was eating a bacon cheeseburger. That dog stole the burger right out of his hands and raced off with it. Left my son in tears - he wasn't physically hurt but he was mad at the dog for a while. It did not help that the rest of us were laughing. And we did replace his burger.

But, the most amazing thing, he was a good mouser. Never saw him catch them, but he would leave them for us. And he never knocked over any furniture which surprised us given his size.
    Haha.......of course your pup was grinning............biscuits & gravy..........yummy!

Leave a comment:

• Tanya D
    replied

These are some great stories!

We have a Bichon Shihtzu and although he's not a thief or a chewer, he does help clean up it seems. Lately I've been finding wrappers in his bowl. If the kids get a juice box and leave the straw wrapper laying around and it ends up on the floor, he picks it up and brings it to his bowl. He's also taken to cleaning up ponytail elastics. Been finding those in his bowl too.

Look at this face tho...such a little honey
    Emma's camera - Feb-Dec 2010 433.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

LOL - love the stories.

Our furbaby has gone on to doggie heaven. He was a rescue dog also. Half Black Lab and half Border Collie and weighed around 60 pounds. Shortly after he came to live with us, he stole a half dozen biscuits and a pot of gravy off the stove. There was no mess. No crumbs but most important - no broken dishes. The pot was sitting on the floor and licked clean as was the baking sheet where the biscuits were. He did not look the least bit guilty! As a matter of fact, he was grinning.

Another time, our youngest who was only 9 at the time was eating a bacon cheeseburger. That dog stole the burger right out of his hands and raced off with it. Left my son in tears - he wasn't physically hurt but he was mad at the dog for a while. It did not help that the rest of us were laughing. And we did replace his burger.

But, the most amazing thing, he was a good mouser. Never saw him catch them, but he would leave them for us. And he never knocked over any furniture which surprised us given his size.

Leave a comment:

• KathieB
    replied

I just loved reading about everyone's dogs and the mischief they get into! My DH hangs his bathing suit and towel over the deck railing to dry when he gets out of the pool. A few times one or the other, and sometimes both have gone missing, but he just assumed I put them in the laundry. We found that Ruby, our golden retriever, buries them in whatever garden I have just weeded or put plants in. She covers them so well we have to check out any new "bump" in the garden!

Leave a comment:

• SandyWhite
    replied

What a cutie. Our Chihuahua mix steals all the toys from the doggy toy box (we have 4 dogs) and hides them around the yard. Every day hubby and I collect them all and put them back...and we go round like this in a never ending loop.

Leave a comment:

• calicokat
    replied

I feel so lucky after reading all these funny stories that my yellow lab, Maggie Hoover doesn't steal stuff.

The neighbor's black lab did though. They tell the story of the Easter day that buck showed up at the door with someone's Easter ham in his mouth! Never found out which neighbor's it was either. He swiped a bag of donuts from our deck one Sunday. And it happened in only the time it took us to come inside & realize we'd forgotten the donuts, just a minute or two. Little thief took the good bag too - the mixed ones, chocolate, sprinkled, filled & cinnamon & sugar. Left the bag of plain yeast sitting right there, little rascal!

A friend has a Houdini dog instead of a klepto. The last time she had to stay at the kennel, not only did she let herself out of her cage, she graciously freed some new friends too. When the owners came in the morning there werea half dozen dogs loose inside!

Leave a comment:

• nanaleslie
    replied

Yes I have a black lab too (Swiper) lol. Cabo and he is 15 months old. Yes they take everything and sometimes they chew and sometimes not. He has taken hubby's golf shoes and put them out in the front garden. Taken other shoes and but them at a different door than the one we use. Because he is tall, he can swipe whatever he wants off a coffee table, edge of counter. He steals spools of thread or anything he can reach from my sewing room and loves to chew on them. We have to be very careful what we leave out and about.

Leave a comment:

• shannonsaulter
    replied

having 3 pups I know this well..in our house its usually shoes,sock and of course the occasiuonal bra...lol

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Originally posted by IBake View Post
    Our Giant Schnauzer Gustavus Adolphus is a rescue and he must never have had enough to eat. We have found that he will "help" himself to whatever we have on the counter. We have found that we need to push food to the back of our semi commercial stove to keep it safe. He ate 5 half chicken breasts fresh off the grill, and all we heard was the plate rattling on the counter. He ate a whole dozen of muffins-paper and all...and they were bran. He really "went" well the next day. Then he helped himself to a 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips.. This is also the dog who "ate" 11 left shoes of mine. No right ones, just left...and they were my good leather dress shoes....and he showed no remorse. INCLUDING the ress shoes that I was wearing to our son's wedding. He is still alive, but boy he came close. He also chewed the leather thongs off of all of my hubby's dock shoes.....
    Wow.....that's funny! The more I read.......the harder I laughed!

Leave a comment:

• IBake
    replied

Ellimay-that is what our Vet calls Gus-Hoover....and he is so sturdy that he looks like a table with paws...we say that when it comes dinner time he comes and pats his wrist to tell you he needs to eat..and eat..and eat. When we pour his food out of the bag into the container, he helps my hubby by eating from the fallout as fast as he can. Poor thing. When I am getting the food ready he sits and cries for it...And he is not straving! feed me dad, feed me dad....

Leave a comment:

• Ellimay
    replied

I can't just help laughing IBAKE, because we call Buddy "hoover" like the vacuum. I don't know how many times hubby tells me to keep the food up and away , but, it's him that just for a sec turns around and his peanut butter sandwich is gone or the lb. of bacon he was unfreezing. Buddy is 100 lbs and we eat usually in the living room watching the news . After hubby is done he gets up on hubby and licks every crumb. Hence the nickname Hoover.
    Our Buddy although never chewed shoes , only will grab my pink fluffy slippers. All he knows is FOOD. He's a surfer too. But, we love the big hulk.

I loved reading everyone's encounter's with their pets. Gave me a real good laugh. Thx all for sharing.
    Last edited by Ellimay; April 13, 2013, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mom4him
    replied

Oh, but he looks so innocent! Hmmm, or is that a guilty look. LOL

Leave a comment:

• IBake
    replied

Our Giant Schnauzer Gustavus Adolphus is a rescue and he must never have had enough to eat. We have found that he will "help" himself to whatever we have on the counter. We have found that we need to push food to the back of our semi commercial stove to keep it safe. He ate 5 half chicken breasts fresh off the grill, and all we heard was the plate rattling on the counter. He ate a whole dozen of muffins-paper and all...and they were bran. He really "went" well the next day. Then he helped himself to a 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips.. This is also the dog who "ate" 11 left shoes of mine. No right ones, just left...and they were my good leather dress shoes....and he showed no remorse. INCLUDING the ress shoes that I was wearing to our son's wedding. He is still alive, but boy he came close. He also chewed the leather thongs off of all of my hubby's dock shoes.....

Leave a comment:

• Wwena
    replied

I laughed reading this, hubby almost cried... He feels your pain lol. Funny that, cause I'm the one who won't let go of the "fjärk" as well call it, when watching telly together.

Leave a comment:

• Genny
    replied

Years ago, when Cabbage Patch Dolls was every childs dream, we had a black lab. Every time "Howie" escaped from our yard he would come home with gloves, shoes, socks...whatever his little heart desired. One afternoon DH and I pulled into our driveway and there was Howie sitting in the middle of the drive waiting for us looking as pleased as he could...holding some child's Cabbage Patch Doll We never did find out where this doll belonged and it wasn't the last thing Howie brought home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X