My Dog is a kleptomaniac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dog is a kleptomaniac

My hubby has a habit of falling asleep in the Lazy-Boy with the TV clicker beside him.
    I don't know how many times I've told him to put the clicker up on the hutch before
    he goes to bed. My Black Lab., has a tendency to grab things and run in his kennel.
    Well, last night when I put all dogs out for there last one, I must have not totally
    latched the door and I went to bed. Hubby said the door was wide open.

I get a rude awakening at 3 am. from hubby saying "Buddy" is gone, hence we usually tie him out,
    living on a farm he loves to run. So, I get dressed grab the flashlight and go out to find him.
    The ice storm is here and hubby can't walk well due to a hip problem. So, I walk down our 1/2 mile
    driveway as I see we had a FLAT TIRE. Dark as hell out and cold I called and he came.

This morning hubby was looking for the TV clicker and we can't find it anywhere. Buddy our Black lab.
    must has taken with him when he escaped. He also while taking it in his mouth clicked on something
    that we can't even get the TV to work manually. ARG!!!!! I could kick hubby's butt. It costs $50.00
    to replace the clicker. When hubby called The Bell co. for a new one he couldn't stop laughing,
    that , that was a good excuse , one he never heard before. Here's a pic of our Klepto.

Buddy on my Bed.JPG
    Last edited by Ellimay; April 12, 2013, 11:47 AM.
    Simone a.k.a Ellimay

sigpic Sewing is cheaper than therapy

Re: My Dog is a kleptomaniac

I once had a klepto Lab as a neighbor. He not only was a klepto, but if you had a door handle (rather than a knob), he could let himself into your home and take whatever he wanted. I came home one day to see Chess walking down the road carrying one of our coolers by the handle. He would visit every clothesline in the neighborhood and was known to drag home bedspreads and quilts! You gotta love it....they're retrievers after all and that's how they roll!! I still smile when I remember Chess...he is no longer with us.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

He's got an extremely guilty look on his face!
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

We have a "klepto" dog too. DH will be in the garage working and, he never learns, he'll lay his tools down and they will begin to disappear. Yep the shepherd is taking them with her.

The shepherd we used to have was notorious for stealing food...one year we hid the Easter eggs in the house - plastic ones with some candy and money in them. Well there was one egg they couldn't find and when the grandkids left I was going to let the dog out and she stood up, picked up the egg and started to go out...yep she was hiding that egg because she wanted the candy. Then one time my hubby baked some cookies and put them on the table. Well he came in and asked me if ate the cookies (now there were at least a dozen on the plate)...well no I didn't eat them. His dog ate all of his cookies...that plate was licked clean.

I came home one day to see Chess walking down the road carrying one of our coolers by the handle.
        That is funny....did you get a picture?
        Last edited by buckeyequilter; April 12, 2013, 12:06 PM.
        Shirley aka buckeyequilter
        I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Hi Bubby:

He does tend to grab things and we don't try to get it from him without a treat or he might bite
          that I found out the hard way. he gets possessive.
          He is our rescue dog and was at 3 homes before he came to his forever
          home with us. Not even 1 yr old at the time. We love him and he loves us.
          We do really have to put things up high just like child proofing the house. LOL

When company comes he's a sneak and tries to snatch something.....But, he's our "Buddy".
          Simone a.k.a Ellimay

Comment

Funny for us, not so much for you guys I guess lol It definitely must be a lab thing, because one of my friends in High School had a golden lab and he did similar things. I always remember when her neighbour was having a BBQ and her dog ran over and stole the whole stick of bologna and the 2L of Pepsi and took it back to his doghouse and ate the works, plastic and all! lol Needless to say he was put on a leash after that one
            *Dee*
            Believe
            There Is
            Good In The World

Comment

It is kinda funny, but I must train hubby better.
              Simone a.k.a Ellimay

Comment

We had a cairn, Cooper, who was not really a klepto, but he liked water bottles. Well, I did not know he liked full water bottles until the day I was up at the lake with him and while I was recovering the couch, I put him out on the enclosed deck where there was a case of water sitting. Went out to take a break less than an hour later and he had taken the caps off of every single bottle without spilling a drop! The caps were all over the deck and he appeared to be quite proud of himself...what can you do but laugh and shake your head?
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

When I was a kid we had a German Shepherd that just loved summer weekends. Parents had a cabin on the river, and he would go around to other peoples cabins and steal their meat off their grills. Everyone learned not to leave their grills unattended, lol.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Having 2 dogs myself, I can relate. Our Heidi will pull towels off and take them over to her bed to nest on but that is much cheaper and easier to deal with. He is a handsome lad, your Klepto.
                    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

My old retriever Rowan was a present giver rather than a thief. If we had a visiter she would be so thrilled and bring them something nice. A carot from the veg tray, a teddy from the kids room, all kind of things. But........... if they were really REALLY nice (and we never worked out what made someone really REALLY nice) she would rush off and bring them back a pair of my knickers. Sighssssssss sometimes it was just sooooooo.......well you know.

On the thief side one of my old Maine coons , Bagherra, loved makeup brushes. He only had one hiding place though and that was behind the sofa. He would walk through the sittingroom with a large blusher brush in his gob looking neither right nor left (cause if he can't see you, you can't see him) and take it behind the sofa. A Blusher brushcovered in cat spit was never special.
                      Blog
                      http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I had to stop taking my dogs to PetSmart with me. I'd be walking around and people would be laughing. I'd turn around and they would have stolen chews or toys off the lower shelves and either be trying to eat them or getting them all slobbery.

Our last cat, Mercury, would sit on the bathroom sink and watch my daughter get ready for school. He would wait until she had her hair pulled back and be reaching for her hair tie before he would grab it and run off with it.
                        K is for Karen 😊​..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

YAY!!! Hubby found the clicker.. GUESS WHERE!!!!! Behind the sofa with a few other trinkets he hid there.
                          I got a few chew toys, a fork and spool of thread (which I wondered where it went), and a sock I couldn't find.
                          Don't you just hate losing a sock ....LOL

Here's a pic of my little Klepto, "Piper" who I entered into a contest and won first prize for Hallmark cards.
                          I got a cash award and the card printed all over Canada. He had got into hubby's underwear and took off outside. I sent in for the contest
                          saying inside 'Let me be brief", Have a Happy Birthday. It won first place.

Piper_schnoodle.jpg
                          Simone a.k.a Ellimay

Comment

Originally posted by Ellimay View Post
                            YAY!!! Hubby found the clicker.. GUESS WHERE!!!!! Behind the sofa with a few other trinkets he hid there.
                            I got a few chew toys, a fork and spool of thread (which I wondered where it went), and a sock I couldn't find.
                            Don't you just hate losing a sock ....LOL

Here's a pic of my little Klepto, "Piper" who I entered into a contest and won first prize for Hallmark cards.
                            I got a cash award and the card printed all over Canada. He had got into hubby's underwear and took off outside. I sent in for the contest
                            saying inside 'Let me be brief", Have a Happy Birthday. It won first place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45053[/ATTACH]
                            He is so cute and congrats to him on the win.

And here I was blaming the washing machine for missing socks.
                            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

haaa! I have a lab/boxer mix that will let her self in my neighbors house and steal her shoes :/ I feel so bad but we can't get her to stop nor get how she is getting in!

Comment

Working...
                              X