Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is having a quilt quilted so flippin expensive?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is having a quilt quilted so flippin expensive?!

This is REALLY discouraging!!! Putting alllll this time into making quilts....and then not having $150-300 bucks to have the daggone thing quilted! I could just go and buy one that someone else made (FINISHED!) for that price

Maybe I'm just clueless as to how having your quilt quilted works. What is the process? Does it take a million, tedious, backbreaking hours? I understand that the machine itself costs thousands.

I'm so flustered right now Almost to the point of tears! I don't want all my hardwork to be "tied".

It's my fault, I should've looked into how expensive quilting could be before I started on this journey. Maybe it's not for me..lol!

My stupid little machine is so....small. Can't handle anything bigger than a daggone potholder! (But it's brand new (well, was new in Oct anyway) from my mom lol!

I really am wanting to know the process and why prices are so high!

Re: Why is having a quilt quilted so flippin expensive?!

I share your frustration, but I really can't answer your question. I do know that there are places that are less expensive. Search around. I figured that all the work I had in my top and where it was going was well worth the expense, but then I could afford what I was charged . . . even though I did feel as you do - that it was way too much.

I have a friend who has a shop in West Plains, MO., and she tells me she knows of places where you can get a king-sized quilt top done for around $60-80. I never contacted any of them, but it may be worth it for you to do some internet searches for SO MO or NO AR.

Good luck, and don't let this discourage you!!!!! Keep on Quiltin'.

Send me a PM if you are interested - I have the business cards of some from SO MO area.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Or perhaps you can find a friend who can do it on her machine at home that wants to earn a little extra side money that will do it also? It is expensive and I that's why I just do them myself on my machine which is not very big either. I just roll it up the best I can and work on one area at a time. It's not 'show' quality, but then my goal is to have it look nice and hold the layers together. I don't even do anything too fancy with pantographs and all that - just mainly stippling all over and they usually turn out pretty good.
      Maybe with a little practice on free motion - you can do it too. Don't give up. We all agree, the cost can be alot.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I agree that it is an expensive hobby! I started out in a BOM class that cost only $6 if you finished the block each month. I thought, hmmm, I can learn to piece and the top will only cost $6---not a bad deal. Then I had to add in the cost of the pattern, needed rulers, more fabric to buy to finish the top, batting ,backing......well, you know! Before I knew what happened that quilt, although gorgeous, was down right expensive! It is not even quilted yet! Now I am addicted! URGH! I might have a lot of quilt tops, not quilted for awhile!
        Suzy Que
        PS----my husband is supportive although he often reminds me how cheaply we could buy blankets already made at the local stores. He just shakes his head at all this cutting of fabric, just to sew it back together! Luckily he loves me as much as I love to sew!

Comment

It upsets me to think of what a quilt will cost to have it quilted after I complete the piecing ... BUT ...
          When I think of the money, labor, choosing of a pattern, just the right fabricsthat had to be found and the love I've invested for a special someone, I would want the best I could afford to have the quilting "artists" create their magic .

Comment

They are really expensive but I think it's to cover the cost of the machines and the skill needed to use them.

How big is your quilt top? Would it be possible to hand quilt it? It might take a long time but if you've put all that effort into making it then it might be worth hand quilting it x
            Quilting through the dull times
            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Up until recently I was not even aware that there were long arm quilter machines. Then a friend purchased one. I cannot even afford her! LOL
              I have almost always hand stitched the quilting on larger items and just done stitch in the ditch for smaller projects. I have purchased a free motion foot but haven't had time to play around much with it.

Another option is in some areas (I have read somewhere online) that there are retirement homes with residents who hand quilt for a small fee. This may be something to consider as well. Hand stitching is so lovely. My stitches are NOT pretty but they keep things together.

Best wishes.
              Blondie
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

have you thought about hand quilting it? It does take a lot longer but it is very therapeutic. I love doing it while I watch tv in the evenings. You should also practice with small pieces on your machine to get yourself familiar with it and see how your machine does. try making a table runner or placemat and quilting it on your machine. As much as I love long arm quilting I cannot bring myself to let someone else quilt it. I was also told once they will be worth a lot more if you hand quilt them rather than machine quilt. I have done many on the machine because I like the fact that I get it done and can move on but they are usually baby or wall size. But my favorites and the ones that mean the most are the ones I hand quilted. Don't get discouraged. It's going to take time and lots of practice.
                Patrice

Comment

Quilting a quilt on the long arm is a slow process if you would like it to be done nicely. Just loading the quiilt on the frame could take an hour. Sometimes longer if the "Piecer" did not square up the quilt. Were you asking for an edge to edge design or a custom design? This makes a difference. How big is your quilt. This makes a difference. You are asking someone, presumably and expert, to do something for you that either you can't or don't want to do. Are you supplying the batting? If not is that included in the price? If you are, did you buy good batting or batting that the quilter has to fight with? Lets assume this is a twin size quilt and the quilter takes 8 hours with it. I'm also assuming that you bought the batting and have the backing prepped and ready to go. Using the lowest price $150/8=$18.75 an hour. Doesn't seem to bad for an expert. Shop around, you may find someone who is cheaper. Try the back of the quilting magazines. There are ads in there for quilters. Also, you might check around at your LQS, sometimes they have a Long Arm for rent (you go there) and you can quilt your own. Might be an eye opener for you.

Comment

I usually manage to quilt on my machine - nothing fancy, but functional. When I made a quilt for my son's marriage, I had it quilted. The lady is a genius! She completely gave the quilt a beauty that I had not seen in it. So, for special events, I will have it machine quilted. Otherwise, I work on it myself. Also agree that there is a special feel to hand quilted quilts - just wish that my stitches were as perfect as my great-grandmothers!

Comment

Originally posted by KarenB View Post
                      Quilting a quilt on the long arm is a slow process if you would like it to be done nicely. Just loading the quiilt on the frame could take an hour. Sometimes longer if the "Piecer" did not square up the quilt. Were you asking for an edge to edge design or a custom design? This makes a difference. How big is your quilt. This makes a difference. You are asking someone, presumably and expert, to do something for you that either you can't or don't want to do. Are you supplying the batting? If not is that included in the price? If you are, did you buy good batting or batting that the quilter has to fight with? Lets assume this is a twin size quilt and the quilter takes 8 hours with it. I'm also assuming that you bought the batting and have the backing prepped and ready to go. Using the lowest price $150/8=$18.75 an hour. Doesn't seem to bad for an expert. Shop around, you may find someone who is cheaper. Try the back of the quilting magazines. There are ads in there for quilters. Also, you might check around at your LQS, sometimes they have a Long Arm for rent (you go there) and you can quilt your own. Might be an eye opener for you.
                      A great response, Karen. Breaking it down this way really makes one appreciate all the effort needed to have a quilt professionally done. I have seen some pretty 'standard' quilt tops that look absolutely stunning simply because they had been quilted by a true professional. Now I'm hanging my head . . . a bit. Still an understanding tightwad who wishes I could justify my own long-arm; but then I'd never want to be obligated to the public wanting services. That's another serious consideration in pricing, don't you think?
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Some shops rent long arms for anyone to use. But first, they require some lessons so you know what to do. It may be an alternative....or find someone who is learning long arm and offer a price. None of this is inexpensive. As mentioned earlier, hand quilting is another way to go...or teach yourself free motion quilting if your machine allows it.

Another way to cut costs is to use 'cheaper' fabric so the money saved goes towards quilting costs. By this I mean recycled fabrics found at Goodwill or other thrift shops. I am finding shirts and all sorts of clothing to cut up that is very nice fabric and will make some nice quilts for charity or friends. Or even donate the quilt to the thrift shop for another to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                        X