Marking pencils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking pencils

I just read about marking pencils sold here and one said 10% water soluble. then stitch over thin marks. what? Roxanne and one other. almost no info on pencils so i can buy them. just wondering if anyone has a favorite??. i got some tailors chalk but tend not to trust it completely.

https://www.amazon.com/LEONIS-Water-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Aquash...s%2C185&sr=8-1

Link#1 are the marking pens I use. The marks disappear with just a little bit of water.
    Link #2 are the water brushes I use to erase the marks.
    ~ Carol from Southwest PA

Comment

thanks for the info. I should be set now!

Comment

Crayola Ultra Washable markers are great. I have had lines marked for a year and they came out right away in the first wash. I like them because you do not have to spot wash the lines out, you just wash the whole quilt in the washer when it is finished. Have not had any trouble with any one color but I do not use the yellow as I find it very hard to see. You would think it would show up on darks, but no. Some marking pens you have to erase before washing and that is so tedious if you have a big quilt and it is easy to miss a few. So I stay away from them.

Comment

• auntstuff
          auntstuff commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here, they have been my favorite for years.

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Auntstuff it was actually you who got me started with them. I was hesitant that they would not come out after being on for months, but you were right!

I never use yellow either. it seems to be problematic in any marker.
        I marked fabric with four colors, one being yellow. All washed out well just with my regular items, used cool water and liquid detergent.
        Last edited by nativetexan; October 13, 2021, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I like the Roxanne pencils. I use both the white and the silver. (using the silver for on white or light colored fabric where the white pencil won't show up)

But, please note that I only use them to mark stitching lines on the back of my fabric. I haven't used them to mark quilting designs on the front of the fabric, because I use quilting rulers for my quilting designs and don't need to make marks on the front of the fabric.

I really like the Roxanne pencils because they aren't too hard or too soft and last a good time. I basically use up one or two per quilt, depending on the size of the quilt.
          Being creative is accepting the flaws as perfection

Comment

Being a hand quilter, I mark the daylights out of my quilt tops sometimes, and the Crayola Ultra-washables always rinse out easily.
            She who dies with the most quilts is......
            Still dead.
            What's your hurry?

Comment

I'll have to try their markers, right now I just use their washable colored pencils. But then I still have 48 of those to go through lol. Really love their white one for dark fabrics, though I also have been known to steal the Crayola chalk on occasions when its out from the GB visiting and closer to hand than grabbing a pencil. Will say, though, I haven't had any issues, because of my quilting assistants having 4 legs and paws, I always toss some peroxide in the wash after finishing quilts. Its never touched the "dyes" in the fabrics but has pulled out any stains from blood of pins to fingers to the "why is there a popscicle wrapper in my sew.... OMG and it was a CHERRY one!!!!" As an 8 year old scurrys past me and beelines for under the bed. Still biggest reason for using it is just to give a little more sanitation for any cat allergy suffers that might be getting a quilt from me or cat lovers whose kitties get upset thanks to my boys scenting up the quilt with their cheek rubbings all over it.

Comment

+1 on Crayola Ultra Washable. They are excellent!

Comment

Working...
                X