How to you find time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to you find time?

How to you find time to quilt when you work full time outside the home, have to clean, prepare dinner, grocery shopping, spend time with family, read this forum and still have to eat and sleep? And you people with kids still at home have even more on your plate.

All my kids are grown and I should have more time now but it seems the opposite is true. When I first came back to quilting I planned all kinds of projects, and now that I started some I feel overwhelmed. It doesn't help that my sewing room is a disaster again after I started a quilt for my grandson. I should be working on that, yet here I sit doing nothing.

I thought maybe someone here has discovered a magical formula of how to cram more hours into the day. I sure could use it right now.
    Maria
    :icon_bigsmile: Maria

Re: How to you find time?

Can you just do a little bit each day to work toward completing your projects? I sometimes work on short projects in between the bigger ones, just so I feel like have accomplished something each day in regards to quilting. Maybe it's just organizing scraps or tools. Maybe you make a mug rug, or practice FMQing. I make those darling totes as a small project, or make a mug rug or 10 minute tablerunner. Yo're not going to finish a Whole quilt in a day (despite what Eleanor Burns says!). Don't stress over finishing in a certain time, just take your time and do a Little bit each day.

Comment

What I do to allow myself to have time allotted specifically to quilting is bust my butt through the week to get done whatever I need to, especially on Friday, to have at least Saturday or Sunday to quilt / sew. What I mean by that since I am a stay at home mom who is also a clean freak (not neat freak, there is a difference!) is to make sure the house is straightened, laundry done, put away, floors clean and bathrooms clean. I then feel like I worked hard enough to give myself the time back in a way.This is only pressure I put on myself though, its a mental thing really. I imagine if I worked outside of the home, it would be harder cause I dont let myself relax until I feel like the house is as it should be. I'm not sure if this helps... it may just be a window into the way my weird mind works?!? I do think I understand what you mean though.
      Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Magic formula = coffe!

I have small kids and I work, although not full time atm. It IS hard to find the time, especially along trying to exercise etc. I really like the hexagons that way, I can do a little every day. I really do think that there IS time even with a plate that is almost full, but I have a hard time finding the energy at times.
        ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

LOL If you find the magic let me know too please. I try and give myself a few hours during the week and at least one day during the weekend. But you know all of that can change on a dime.

I also have a wonderful wonderful husband who does the grocery shopping I try and get my laundry done on Thursday evenings and cleaning done between Friday evening and Saturday morning. I also have someone that comes in on Friday's that cleans my down stairs for me which saves me a lot of time. It really is worth it for me to have that extra time to sew. It's a neighbor and she doesn't charge me much at all. When my legs went bad on me it became very difficult to clean certain things and going up and down the stairs isn't easy at all.

I also find that organizing my sewing room made it much easier on me. I turned my formal living room into a sewing room since it was never used. It is in the front of the house as you walk in the door so I also have to keep it pretty clean. At least some what so if someone stops by it's not too bad LOL - too bad being the key word there.

I have so many projects waiting on me that I don't feel like I'll ever get done, but I think that just means I'll quilt forever And I'm ok with that. Happy Quilting.
          Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I felt like you when I started quilting and reading the forums, etc. I then realized I was measuring myself against others and that was actually making me get less done because I would say "Well, I will never be able to make as many quilts as ______." Once I reminded myself that I was only accountable to me and what I wanted to do as a quilter I became more productive in what time I have for quilting.

My secret is project boxes and projects at different stages, then I can always find something that works for the time I have available that day, and the boxes save time so I don't have to collect everything for my project each time, and keep the sewing room neater so I don't have to spend so much time cleaning. I didn't find more time, but I started enjoying myself more and therefore was able to get more done.

I think the main thing is to not allow it to become a chore, but keep it as something that you enjoy, relaxes you, and lets your creativity flow.
            Tortugaquilter

Comment

That's why when I was still working it would take a year to finish a quilt! I could usually only quilt on Sunday afternoon...if I wasn't too tired from all the "catch up" on Saturday. I don't think there is an easy answer. By the time you work, keep a house, take care of family and friends, there's not much time for "you". I retired almost a year ago and usually spend 3-4 hours in the afternoon in my "quilt cave" ('coarse part of that is spent on this site!!!), I think I'm in heaven. So just hang in there and look at what time you get to quilt as "practice" for when you retire. God bless you.
              sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

Jean,
                maybe my problem IS trying to do too much. I finished the quilt top and have it all basted for hand quilting. Now my sewing room is a disaster again and I don't have the energy to clean it to even start a couple of small projects.

Jess,
                I'm with you, I need to have the house fairly clean (except the sewing room) before I can let myself relax and do something I want to do. It doesn't help that we have an open floor plan and you can see from the kitchen to the family room, dining room and living room. Lots of space to keep clean.

Anna,
                yes, my problem is when I do get the time I just don't have the energy left.
                I've been getting up early in the morning to get some quilting done, but then by 8 or 9 at night I'm exhausted. I never had this problem when I was younger, had 2 kids at home and still worked a full day outside the house. Maybe it's age related.

Comment

My secret is project boxes and bags. When I organized my sewing room(former bedroom), I put together kits to work on. I have one that is a hexi grandmothers flower garden. I can just pick it up anytime and work on it. I have other projects in varying degrees of completion in boxes. I can pull out one and work on it whenever I want. I am working on finishing these before starting a new project. I am working on finishing my 4th one this year. I have been a good starter but not a good finisher! This year I am changing that. Just set up a system that pleases you and you will enjoy every minute you can slip away to sew. Happy sewing!

Comment

My secret is a DH that helps....cooks, cleans, does dishes. I allow myself a couple of hours in the evening in my sewing room and then on the week-ends I'm in there whenever I feel like it. I always have a project in the house that I can work on while watching TV with DH. I don't get as many projects done as some of the others on here but then I'm not in a competition with them. I work full time and am gone from home 10 hours a day.

I make time for work and family and I also make some "me" time. This "me" time produces quilts and other goodies for my family
                    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Tortugaquilter and Quiltngolfer,

I need to get to Walmart and get myself some boxes. Right now everything is all over the place. I also have a former bedroom that my husband turned into a sewing room for me. It used to look so nice and neat....now the counters are covered with fabric and scraps I pulled out. It doesn't help that I just got in yards and yards of different fabric I ordered. All my other fabric is 7 to 10 years old and I don't like most of it anymore. So I had to get new. I know you nice people would understand.

I think we need a thread about organizing your sewing room. People could post before and after pictures.
                      Maria

Comment

I think we sometimes put pressure on ourselves to DO things, wether we are really conscious of it or not, and we feel guilty if we just don't feel like "doing" anything at all.

I know for me quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing and an enjoyable way to escape from the pressures of life, and sometimes I DO still feel guilty and like I am slacking because there are times I just don't WANT to go finish that quilt, or sew at all for that matter.

There shouldn't BE guilt or pressure to do the fun relaxing stuff, and I am working on cutting myself some slack and telling myself it will be OK that the last border isn't on yet or the quilting still needs to be done.

Sometimes for me it's the mental challenge I need a break from too. I just can't muster up the mental energy required to figure out measurements and fiddly designs, or the focus required to sew a more complicated pattern.
                        Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by tortugaquilter View Post
                          I felt like you when I started quilting and reading the forums, etc. I then realized I was measuring myself against others and that was actually making me get less done because I would say "Well, I will never be able to make as many quilts as ______." Once I reminded myself that I was only accountable to me and what I wanted to do as a quilter I became more productive in what time I have for quilting.

My secret is project boxes and projects at different stages, then I can always find something that works for the time I have available that day, and the boxes save time so I don't have to collect everything for my project each time, and keep the sewing room neater so I don't have to spend so much time cleaning. I didn't find more time, but I started enjoying myself more and therefore was able to get more done.

I think the main thing is to not allow it to become a chore, but keep it as something that you enjoy, relaxes you, and lets your creativity flow.
                          I second that and fully agree. Even as a retiree I have difficulties fitting in a day or two just sewing. And I have a wonderful husband, who does the grocery shopping and does the cooking every day. And he cleans up his kitchen afterwards.
                          But at a certain age I think you have to do some exercice outdoors as well as other (mental) exercices like reading. So I don't actually care how much or how well everyone does their quilts. I take ideas and do whatever I can.
                          sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

I usually quilt from 8 pm to 10 pm sometimes a little later. On my days off. I find it relaxing so I fit it in. Usually I am stressed when I am not in there. Lol I take little forum breaks...throughout the day and evening.
                            Mary
                            SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Our 'secret' is mom gets up with coffee before the crack of dawn and works an hour or so because it's quiet. Then we work on projects in the evening while listening to the TV. Not much of a secret, but it works for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X