Question for our wonderful garment makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for our wonderful garment makers

My DS has asked me to make him a "wool" hoodie. He would like it to be made out of thick wool, similiar to the vintage army blankets. I have two old army blankets that are 100% wool, but not willing to sacrifice them (they are extremely hard to find and when you do their very expensive). Sorry Son, Love you but somethings are off limits! I've found "new" wool blankets that are am 80/20 blend, but even those are around $40 each, and I would need two.

Anyone know where I can buy thick wool fabric, with a tight weave, by the yard? And if you've ever made any garments out of thick wool fabric, any advise or pitfalls I may encounter? I think the last time I made any garments was about 35-40 years ago (use to make alot of my clothes way back then) so any advice is appreciated.

Check garage sales and the military surplus stores out on South Tacoma Way and in Tillicum. Do we need a trip up to Pacific Fabrics? They are no longer requiring appointments.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Caroline T. commented
      Editing a comment
      Pacific Fabric road trip would be nice, but I avoid Seattle like the plague!   Sent son to the army surplus stores down by Fort Lewis, don't know how many he actually went to, but came back with one NEW blanket ($40 and not big enough - would need a second one) and claimed no used blankets available.  So yeah, I think I need to make the trip myself.

What about Pendleton Wool place, isn't that up near you?
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Pendlton wool fabric

https://www.pendleton-usa.com/home/h...-decor/fabric/
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Pendleton wool throws at their outlet store are about $75. About 60” by 72”. They would work. All wool is extremely expensive, so this will not be a cheap project, unless you find some wool at a thrift store. I have made garments and bags from Pendleton wool, beautiful, but pricey. Stabilize it at stress points, it will pull apart at extreme stress points without a good seam allowance.

Just checked the Pendleton site. Nothing at that price. My sister lives in Portland and shopped in the outlet store and found a couple of throws for $75. It must have been clearance and only in the actual store.
        Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; June 11, 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Ebay seems to have quite a few and some are free shipping. I'd be really careful as a lot of them say things like "survival blanket", & "military style", etc. Not sure about things like that unless they say that they are official military blankets. Also, I saw where some say 2 lbs & others say 3 lbs. Seems like you would want to actually see what you are getting since you will be cutting it up & making a garment out of it.

Comment

Better prices here, Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/market/wool_coat_fabric
            TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Have you tried this?? not expensive at all $5. ship men's wool hoodies winter warm hoodies men hoodies wool fleece hoody hooded man Long sleeve fleece Sportswear streetwear M 6XL|Hoodies & Sweatshirts| - AliExpress
              Kathryn
              There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Working...
              X