Serger owners, lovers, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serger owners, lovers, etc.

I spent all day today (9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.) at a serger class. (It continues tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.). We used brand new Janome 2000D air threader professional machine. The class is to show you what all you can do with a serger, and just happen to be using these Janome machines. Of course, they will be available for sale at what they say is a good price, about $1400, but we would also be getting a box of accessories that is supposedly worth about $300-$350. I have been amazed at what all you can do with a serger. I sure could have used one a couple of years ago when I made all those "Frozen" costumes for my granddaughters for Halloween and the next year when I made the flower girl and junior bridesmaid dresses for my daughters wedding. My question to those that have a serger is, is it worthwhile having one. I was one of only 2 that did not have a serger in the class and one of 4 who had never used one. There were 15 in the class. A couple of others said they rarely use the one they have mostly because it is so hard to thread it. Anxious to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks

Nancy

I love my serger for sewing garments and kids things. I don’t use it at all for quilting. I can’t even estimate the number of tee shirts and nightgowns I’ve made over the years on mine. It really depends on what you sew and if you are knowledgeable on the machine. It sounds like a very instructive class!

Comment

I have an 8 thread Baby Lock serger and I love it. I probably could have gotten a 4 thread and been happy, too. Mine does have the air threading and that makes all of the difference in the world. I use mine all the time and when I make my jelly roll race quilts I use my serger to sew it together after the strips are sewn into the long strip. I gave my son a BL 4 thread and he made a quilt using it. A quilt he designed.

So long story to say, I LOVE my serger.

Retha

Comment

I have a Brother serger that I got years ago for ~$500. I love having it, and know I don’t use its full capabilities. I can’t imagine sewing cotton jersey fabric without it, and I do actually use it in my quilting occasionally to same the shedding of minky when I use it for backing. Don’t know that I use it enough to warrant a $1400 purchase, but the $500 has been totally worth it over the years, and I don’t have much trouble threading it.
        hope that helps!

Comment

Love my Babylock Imagine that I purchased over 15 years ago, wouldn't be without it!! It is an air threading machine, a must have for me!!!

Comment

Another fan of air threading! Worth every penny. Couldn’t wait to get rid of the old one……threading was a nightmare
            Christy

Comment

I love my serger. When I started shopping to replace a very old and well used three thread serger with a four thread, I was looking at the Babylocks with air threaders. After seeing and trying the Bernina L450, I decided it wasn't worth spending double the amount for air threading since the Bernina is so easy to thread.
              It came in at just under $1000 CDN and the Babylock Imagine was in the $2000 CDN range. I haven't used it for quilting though.
              Maria

Comment

Many years ago when the girls were little (they are in their 40's now), I bought a serger and made tons of clothing on it....swimsuits, underwear, clothing. It was a three thread serger by Babylock, and I still have it, but don't use it. I wanted a four or five thread, and found a Bernette at a garage sale in almost perfect condition for about $60 and bought that. I used it a lot making supplies for Days for Girls. Matter of fact, I used it until it wore out and broke. I replaced it with a Babylock that has the air threader. That option is like night and day! I love it! The store I bought it had carried both the Janome and the Babylock, but I was so impressed with the Babylocks that I went with the Acclaim and never regretted it.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I just bought that Janome 2000D last month. I have used a serger for 30 years. Yes, I think air threading is very important, and this Janome does have it. I would love to have been in that class you took. Since I make a lot of costumes, I need to use a serger. I have had BabyLocks for all these years, this took the place of one I got in 1992. I have two sergers, a friend and I often sew together in my sewing studio. My other serger is a BabyLock. BabyLocks have gotten crazy expensive. This one was close to the price quoted to you for taking the class. I am about to set up lessons at the shop where I bought it to learn some new tricks that I could do with it. If you think you would use a serger, I think this one would serve you well.

Comment

I have the Babylock Imagine and use it for curtains, home dec projects, outdoor cushions, pillows, etc. I also use it to trim the edge of a quilt when finished quilting and cutting off backing and batting. Makes a neat edge to attach binding. It is also perfect when hemming clothing like sweatpants, pajamas, "lounge about Pants", etc.
                    I would suggest you go to the Janome website to see MSRP for their sergers to make a comparison to see the differences in different models.
                    My serger does not do a coverstitch, and I am currently considering a trade in to get a machine that does the coverstitch.
                    I also took a class when I bought my serger, and was surprised at all the things you can do with one.

Comment

I have a BabyLock 8 thread machine. I love it for sewing garments. I went to one of those 2 or 3 day classes and learned many fun things to do with it. I did get a discount for buying mine. The air thread is awesome. I sold my old serger that was so hard to thread.

Comment

Good idea to attend a class event to play with all the techniques they can do. Will the LQS offer classes later for you to learn your machine?

I have the 8 thread Ovation machine. Love to use the 4 thread seam when finishing seams. It can also make decorative stitches with different threading. At the time of purchase, I wanted a machine to grow into and I'm still learning. THE LQS is finally opening classes again.

Comment

I have a Janome but it is not an airthreader (some day I hope to have one) and also would love to have a cover stitch option. In addition to using for stretch fabrics, I used mine doing curtains, pillow cases, masks sewing, fleece blankets for pets, etc.

Comment

I have two Babylock sergers, both air threaded. The Imagine is also auto tension and the Celebration is just air threaded.
                            ​​​​​​
                            K is for Karen 😊​..................
                            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                            T - is it TRUE?
                            H - is it HELPFUL?
                            I - is it INSPIRING?
                            N - is it NECESSARY?
                            K - is it KIND?

Comment

• K. McEuen
                              K. McEuen commented
                              Editing a comment
                              BTW, I meant to say, the Celebration I have is fairly new, bought in November of last year. I paid $999 and got free shipping. I inherited the Imagine, which Babylock doesn't make anymore and I think the replacement for it is about $2K. I talked to the Babylock dealer here in town when I was looking to buy and they sold the Celebration for $1600 (they are HIGH on everything, which was why I ordered it online)

I have a Brother 4 thread and it does not have the air threader. Once you get used to threading, not so bad. I just couldn't justify to $$$ for that one feature. I also use it to finish the quilt sandwich, trims and gives a great edge to finish. On smaller quilts I also attach the binding all in one step. Makes it so much faster. I am sure I could have used it when the kids were young as I made lots of their clothes. Good luck on your shopping/comparing for a new serger. No matter what you get, you will love it.
                            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                            Aesop

Comment

• bubba
                              bubba commented
                              Editing a comment
                              What sold me on the Babylock over the other was that it also has a needle threader!! As soon as I saw that, SOLD!!

• Jean Sewing Machine
                              Jean Sewing Machine commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My BabyLock threaders gave up the ghost early on, the Janome has one, we’ll see how long it lasts.
                          Working...
                          X