Cutting Table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Table?

How many of you have a cutting table? I've never really used a cutting table. I just sit on the floor in front of the TV and do all my cutting. My 50+ body is having a hard time with that now--I ache for days after doing a lot of cutting. I have a small desk that my serger sits on, but I think I'm going to move the serger and try to fit a cutting table in there. I would love to see pics of others cutting tables--especially homemade.
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Cutting Table?

wow... i went to a class and they had those church basement folding table. on PVC pipe to the height of a normal like ..kitchen counter...an extra 9-10 inches.. so i have a kitchen table in my sewing area of my bedroom. wish it had the height... i have seen at Joannes they offer a folding table for cutting my sister has one... large for cutting out dress patterns. and when done folds up and tucks away.. or you could just use kitchen counter..
    Gina northern MN
    all the best
    Gina

Comment

Cutting table what is that? Just kidding. I use my ironing board, so that i can adjust the height for sitting or standing. Does that sound bad?

Comment

My cutting table is my coffee table in disquise! Wish I had the space for a real cutting table but in the meantime I will do whatever it takes to work on my quilting!
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I use an old wooden top kitchen table I found at a dumpster. LOL. I am a real diving diva.
          It works pretty good; I need to get Luscious to make it higher so I have less bending but hey, it still works great for me.

Speaking of dumpster diving; on my way home from the bank just now I saw a chest of drawers and an old sewing machine table. I so wanted to stop and check it out but my DD was driving and she wouldn't have had room in her wee honda. If it is still there when hubs comes home, he can go get it for me. Need more storage and that chest of drawers looked perfect for me. I likes me some free stuff.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I have a great cutting table that we purchased at an estate sale for $50.00. It folds up and I use it all the time. Really love it!
            Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Those folding tables like they have at church or in a fire hall for meetings are great. You can get medical bed risers to put the legs on and it brings the table right up to the perfect height. I'm saving for a table and the risers now. I have had 3 back surgeries so getting the table in the air is important to me. Right now it kills me to cut fabric. The other thing I want is at least a 2 ft. x 3 ft. cutting mat. Larger if possible. There was a site that had them made to order any size you want. Wouldn't that be a dream come true? To cover a 7 or 8 ft. table with a cutting mat that big? I'd be in heaven! Hugs, Jan L
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

My husband and I are currently working on building one for my sewing area. Got a couple of kitchen cabinets at Home Depot (damaged/unfinshed) that will work great. Putting a piece of plywood on top and I'll have a great area. It will be the right height plus a little added storage. So now I get to go out and buy more fabric! Yippee!!

Comment

I used to use my kitchen table but now have the fold away like the churches use. I have two of them in my sewing room. I like the idea of raising them. Going to have to look into that although I guess I would have to move my machines. I have one on each table. I don't think you should have your machine that high if I am correct.
                  Patrice

Comment

My hubby put my folding table up on blocks..literally!! He just took some 2x4 scraps and nailed them together then put the table on them so it is a better height. I have my machine on an old dining room table next to the cutting table.
                    Michele

Comment

I have the folding cutting table from Jo-Anns and absolutely love it. I also have the healing cutting top that fits the full size of the cutting table. I am quite tall (just short of 6 foot) and find it about perfect height for me. Anything lower and I'd be in bed or at the chiropractor just about every day.

I definitely want to go dumpster diving with Blondie!!!!! My favorite pass time. BUT, I have been told that in our area there is a $200 fine if you are caught. I quite often do 'curbside shopping' though and have made some wonderful 'purchases'.

I'll be over later, Blondie!!
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I have one of the purpose built cutting tables that has a centre unit with a drawer and cupboard each end and two 'wings' that fold up to make the cutting table so it is 18" x 39" when folded down and each wing is 28" x 39" so with it completely open I have 74" x 39" area. I usually only have one side open in my current sewing room, and the centre bit usually has all my 'bits' on so I cut on an area of 28x39 and have a cutting mat that is 23"x35". This table is the correct height for standing but I like to sit at it to work as well so I use a draughtsmans chair with the foot rail which when fully down is the correct height for my sewing machine and I can raise it to sit at my cutting/work table.

It would not be too hard to make one of these, a kitchen bench unit and two pieces of board, one to make the cutting surface and a smaller one to make the support. The main one hinged along the top of the cupboard and the support on hinged vertically so that you lift the top one, swing the support out and you have instant cutting table. I recall seeing some antique side tables that use this principle. If it doesn't make sense and anyone is interested I will find a photo.

It really is important to have something the right height for cutting or our backs will suffer badly, if now now then definitely as we get older.

I also have a small return on my sewing cabinet that I have a small 11"x17" cutting mat on so I can trim while sewing and the ironing board right next to that so I can press and trim without getting up from the machine, it saves lots of time.
                        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

What height seems like the "right" height for a cutting table? Is kitchen counter height right or too tall?
                          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                            What height seems like the "right" height for a cutting table? Is kitchen counter height right or too tall?
                            I would say it definitely depends on your height - and like Lynn says, she sits (albeit at a tall chair). Optimally, or ergonomically, I'd say it should be right at your elbow if you have your arms at your side. Any higher than that and you will be lifting your shoulders to cut and any lower you will have to bend over slightly. Building up an existing table with some type of block to get it just right for your body would be the best or buying one that is the correct height.

As I mentioned, I am almost six feet and when we had our master bath remodeled I had the standard '30' inch cabinets raised a full 10 inches so they would be comfortable for me.
                            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Well a great big "duh" on my part. I have a craft table that I bought at Hancock years ago. It's in my basement. I forgot that it folds. I did a Google search yesterday and lo and behold--someone had the table in their room with one side folded down against the wall. I always had it completely unfolded and it is large that way. I can leave half of it down and it will fit perfectly into my existing space. I'm so excited. Now if can talk DH into moving it back up two flights of stairs.
                              Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Working...
                              X