Some past sewing treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some past sewing treasures

So in going through my rearrangement I came across some antique sewing implements from at least as far back as the 1940's. I have actually been meaning to make up a shadow box with them. But they made me chuckle once again so thought I would share a quick picture of them. 16200983614807583572419872157119.jpg
    This one is my favorite 🤣🤣🤣

(And regrettably I had forgotten the highly sexist advertising on it, and found myself asking how did I ever get along without it when resizing some patterns not its intended purpose but does work AMAZINGLY well for it.)

20210503_231448.jpg

I have to say I love the Needle Card too, basically be the envy of your friends at the next tea party 😉. And the here's one for good measure, tape measure. And my electric refrigerator thimble 😁😁, or the amazing scissor sharpener.

And I can attest that yes the Rex rust proof pins are true to their word, they are all as bright and shiny as the "latest style" buttons 👍.

Now one thing that will not go into the shadow box is... 16200989425173805623984986535031.jpg

Only because, they came from my DH's family and they are well obvious not the exact ones,, but the lost fashion disc's style to my grandmother's sewing machine.

Somewhere I also have an emergency stocking repair set too 🤣. Anyways hope some of you enjoy this blast from the past, even if some of its still well before my past and possibly yours as well.
    Attached Files

What a fun stroll down memory lane!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Above my cutting table hangs a large cabinet with glass doors filled with sewing antiques I’ve gathered over the years. I love to pick up old sewing boxes at garage sales and auctions. It is beautiful decor for my studio for mere pennies if acquired in this way. So funny, so pretty, so inspiring to look at while I cut and sew admits the leftovers of by gone days. It serves no purpose in a box......display it where you can enjoy it!

Comment

How fun🧵 I have some antiques stored away….someday I’ll have my own stroll down memory lane when I opens them up again. I have them stored for when we move and because there is absolutely no room in my room to display any of them…..some day…
        Thank you for posting these 😀
        💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

I'm still using some of that stuff....
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Namastarz
            Namastarz commented
            Editing a comment
            I know right 😉, some of the classics just never go out of style.

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, but please tell me it's not the garters that you are still using!

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            They do have other uses.
            Like stretching fabric in a frame. Just use the buttons and elastic.

I kept my MIL's wicker sewing basket after she passed. She worked part time in a sewing department at the 5&Dime. I have many notions from the same era. Fun to keep. Plus i have two full tins of buttons she kept, many still on cards. My sons GF found some buttons to use to repair the straps on her jumper at Christmas otherwise i cant recall ever finding a useful button in the lot. Yet i keep them anyway.

Comment

Ah, yes, I do have many of the same items you do. I sorely remember the garter straps, too. Fortunately they were going out just as I was getting used to them. LOL. I still have the hem gauge and am shocked to see the prices for some of these items today. My grandmother always had a button jar and was I was little would give it to me to find matches for her. Don't know if she needed them, but it kept me busy for hours looking for them!
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

I have several of the gauges and still use them. However mine don’t have the little square at the top. I have quite a few if my grandmothers old notions too.
              Carlie

Comment

How fun! Garters! Oh that brought back memories. I think I wore nylons (with the dark seam down the back!) with a garter belt when I was about 12 y.o. for my first piano recital. My seam gauge is not that old. I use it all the time for measuring the hem on quilt bindings so it's even. The silver thimble my mom gifted me probably is an antique.

Comment

How fun. I love the vintage sewing notions!!!

Retha

Comment

Oh my gosh! My mom still has her gauge (same one). Thank you for sharing!

Comment

My sewing gauge is probably my favorite sewing tool!

Comment

What a great idea! You have given me another project. I wish I would have kept my MIL's tools that she gave me years ago.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I love antiques but I don't always know what they are. When my exSIL's Gma passed away he gave me her sewing cabinet, no machine just like an end table with drawers. Inside were two things idk what they are for. Does anybody recognize them? I don't think she sewed much just mending and buttons. I have repurposed these 2 items in the picture. The long skinny rod with an eye on each end, well I use that for a cake tester. The other one with bakelite handle has the tiniest hook on the end, like a very fine crochet hook maybe? I keep that in the bathroom for when my toothpaste gets gunked up and won't come out of the hole. But I would love to know their original uses.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Would definitely say crochet hook on the wooden handled one. The other looks familiar but can't put a finger on it.

edit: Darn MS brain, though to be fair one of the crafts I have yet to undertake. Those are definitely lace making tools. Now how exactly they are used I'm not sure as I haven't done it. But I imagine their purpose is to facilitate in weaving when doing the bobbin lace work. I looked into it a few years ago, but before I could start left side went complete numb and nearly fully paralyzed on me 😠. Sucked mostly because I'm a die hard lefty, but hey now that its working again I'll have to look into the lace making again 😁 (poor craft room you just got cleaned up)
                            Last edited by Namastarz; Yesterday, 09:04 AM. Reason: Brain freeze

Comment

• jjkaiser
                              jjkaiser commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks I never would have guessed lace making. Actually it doesn't show in the picture but each of the loops in the long stick like thing has a tiny little open slit in it right by the outer edge. It works great as a cake tester though! Since I am pretty sure I will never be making any lace. Glad your paralysis cleared up that must have been really scary.

• Namastarz
                              Namastarz commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Meh joys of MS lol, gone blind and see again (eventually), body parts paralyze and move again (eventually). I think that's probably why I do so many different types of handicrafts. Don't need to see to crochet, just need 1 good hand to sew now that I have push button start and stop machine, and they all help retrain the nervous system after a short circuit in the brain 😊. And are far more fun than resistant bands.
                          Working...
                          X