Iron recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for a new iron to use primarily for piecing. I've tried cheap, mid- priced, expensive irons. I can't seem to find one that gets really hot enough to give nice,flat seams! Any recommendations of irons that you actually use are welcomed.

Irons have been discussed many times. You'll get as many suggestions as people, would be my guess. My last 2 irons have been Black & Decker. They're heavier than some. I can't see the value in spending a lot of $ for an iron that may or may not last very long, might get dropped or knocked off the ironing board, or might leak steam. I like my B & D because I like the control dial, it doesn't shut off automatically like some do, & it can be used with or w/o steam. You could replace several irons for the cost of some of those pricey ones.

Comment

• misstrixella
      misstrixella commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Ill check out the B&D.. I thought I'd find other iron discussions, but wasn't able to find any when I searched.
      Last edited by misstrixella; April 30, 2021, 03:02 PM.

I just purchased a new iron that is cordless and has a rechargeable base that sits on the ironing board and gives it stability. I don't think I could knock it off the ironing board. What I love about it is it has a see through, detachable water chamber that takes tap water. It has three clearly defined settings and is can be used as a dry or steam iron. It is shaped like a football and is lightweight. It was designed for quilters. The best feature by far is that there is no pesky cord to get in the way. There are two models on Amazon that retail for two price points-my iron has a stainless steel sole plate which is priced at @ $85. The other model features a ceramic sole plate that is resistant to burning from starches and fusible glue. That one costs @ $145.00! The iron's football shape takes a bit of getting used to as it has to be put back in the cradle in order to keep it hot- it does not stand like a conventional iron. It does have an automatic shut off, , but heats up pretty quickly. It is made by Panasonic and you can search for it on Amazon which will describe far better than I all of its features. I happen to love mine-but everyone has different opinions on irons. My experience with cheaper irons are that they always leak water. My other best iron was a Rowenta that I had for quite a long time, but I knocked it off the board and it came apart. It was an $85.00 iron as well. I think you get what you pay for. Happy hunting!

Comment

Yet a $20 iron does the same job as a $100 iron, without all the gadgetry....and often does it much longer.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Yeah have to agree, any old cheap iron works just grand. I have considered the ones that you can leave down, the cordless ones, but when it came time to replace my 20+ year old $10 iron because the QC kitties ninja kicked it off the board just 1 too many times. It was replaced with a cheap Panasonic I think it is.

Now ironing boards! Thats where I'm hoping to one day get the one with the silicone holder for the iron so the ones that only automatically turn off if tilted up can set there and be ready to go if it takes a bit more time to get fabric lined up since shut off is pretty quick on the panasonic.

Comment

I just buy cheap irons and they last for years.

Comment

Pressing to get nice, really flat seams is affected not only by how hot your iron is, but also by how long the heat is retained. Have you tried pressing on one of those wooly mats? To me, there is a noticeable improvement in how flat my seams are. The mats are expensive when marketed as quilting tools, but some creative quilters have found virtually the same product marketed as saddle blankets for horses, and for a lot less money. I know of another quilter who covers her just-pressed quilt blocks with a large square ruler and then puts a couple of books on top to weight it down. The ruler traps the heat so the fabric cools slowly.

Comment

• misstrixella
              misstrixella commented
              Editing a comment
              As a matter of fact, I have a wool mat, and use it. Maybe I'm just expecting too much...everytime I watch a tutorial (MSQC or Jordan Fabrics), I always notice is how flat their blocks are! I think I have block/seam envy.
              Last edited by misstrixella; May 1, 2021, 02:08 PM.

Update on my iron hunt...I bought a Black and Decker Easy Steam compact for 9.97 from Walmart. Had 4.5 out of 5 stars from more than 1300 reviews. I'm finishing up a quilt top today, so I'll get a good chance to try it out. Thanks again for all of the advice and suggestions!

Comment

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a good buy. One of my B & D irons I found at Penneys when they were having a clearance sale. It was only $5. At that price, I should have bought two. We no longer have a Penneys in our town. I hated to see it go. We had a Shopko go; I had certain things I bought there. We also lost Joslin's. I used to find good sales on clothing & jewelry there. Nothing stays the same.
          Working...
          X