Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair

My mama bless her heart could make something out of nothing. She hand quilted a quilt and the inside she used an electric blanket (with all the wires out) and a sheet for the back. This quilt is 30+ years old at the least. My daughter got it when she was in middle school. She loved this quilt. I may have told ya'll before but it went on every school trip, her honey moon and in the labor room when she had both children. As the years went by it got more ragged and the fabric print is gone in places . John Avery (my grandson) took it. It was sent to my house for repairs about 5 years ago and I fixed it the best I could. I have spent the last few days trying to repair this rag again. I went through my stash and tried to find fabric that would kinda of blend in. Broke two needles sewing on it. I probably would have refused but they love this quilt. I have made them a ton of quilts but nothing compares to how they feel about this one mama made. I wish some day I could make a quilt that some one loved as much as this one.
    Last edited by TMP; April 30, 2021, 12:08 AM.

That is such an awesome story! We can all only hope our quilts are so loved and don’t end up in the garage under the car as someone changes the oil!

Comment

Thanks for the sharing that story. No doubt your quilts have special meaning for your family. I have always told my children, what you do with the quilt is up to you, just don't use it to change the oil in your car.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I'm like you, I hope I make quilts that are treasured. Funny story, I made a quilt years ago out of what quilters may consider untraditional fabrics. It has homespun, flannel, corduroy, fleece, denium. We call it the warm quilt and my kids have it...they took it without me knowing but has always been their favorite. My point is funny how we make and make but it's the unusual one they attach too. I hope you can repair it..sounds like a real treasure!!

Comment

Well…..at least it was loved to death……unlike many quilts. Hope you’re able to fix it….or come up with one they’ll be happy with 💕💕
          💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

I love your quilt's story and the fabulous history. Tatters and tears--always welcome in my quilt world!

Comment

I feel the same way about the quilt my great grandma made for Dad. There are some stains that will never come out, but it is still well loved.
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

What a great story! That's what makes quilting so rewarding!
                ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I'm sure you will!!
                  Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Love your story, and I'm sure they will love the ones you have made also.

Comment

I love this story! It’s so sweet to see family that love the things we make.

Comment

Love the story of how the quilt came to be. A friend of mine told me once when I told her I would never use the embroidered pillowcases “That’s what they are for. The best compliment you could give me is to use it”. So we do. My grandmother and two of her sisters made something like quilts. Pieced fabrics if all kinds, including drapery material. They were breaking in Grandma’s new sewing machine (I’m talking early 1960’s) I have two that were my favorites. My daughter stole one. She loves it like I do.
                        Carlie

Comment

I can only hope one of my quilts will be cherished that way. Whenever I give one away I tell the recipient to use it until it falls apart...take it on a picnic, wrap the puppy in it, so long as it's used.
                          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Working...
                          X