Overall pattern and fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall pattern and fabric

I am in the middle of revamping a quilt that was in progress before I moved in December. Somehow during the move part of it got misplaced, so I am changing directions a bit. All of that is probably irrelevant to my actual question...

I am replacing the missing blocks with this pinwheel block (ignore the colors; mine is in tones of blue, shown below). My question is this... the larger green triangles - do those all need to be the same fabric or can I mix it up and still have a pleasing look. Same question for yellow triangles...I am in the middle of revamping a quilt that was in progress before I moved in December. Somehow during the move part of it got misplaced, so I am changing directions a bit. All of that is probably irrelevant to my actual question...

I am replacing the missing blocks with this pinwheel block (ignore the colors; mine is in tones of blue, shown below). My question is this... the larger green triangles - do those all need to be the same fabric or can I mix it up and still have a pleasing look. Same question for yellow triangles...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Hi Nelle and welcome to the forum. I mix up a lot of fabrics and do a lot of scrappy combos. In the case of pinwheels I like the fabric of each individual pinwheel to be the same even if you use different fabric for each pinwheel. It’s your quilt, do what makes you happy!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I was confused at first but think I understand. I agree with Barb...do what you like. Keep in mind that if you don't use the same fabric for the pinwheels they will not look like pinwheels when finished. They will just be triangles. Welcome!!

Comment

I think if you do scrappy for both it will be too confusing for the eye to see the pinwheels. I would do each of the four pinwheel blades the same color. Here is a scrappy pinwheel quilt I did where each completed pinwheel is a different color/fabric but the actual blades in the block are the same color.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• minipinlady
          minipinlady commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the very same thing, pinwheels same colors or they lose their appeal

Thank you all - your comments are helpful. And the picture is just what I needed. I'm still playing with which way to go but this helps tremendously.

Comment

Working...
        X