Design Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Wall

I am thinking about making a design wall in my basement sewing area. Any suggestions?
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: Design Wall

Hi Blondie ! Good to hear from you. How are you & Mom doing?
    About the design wall, a gal I know made one using a FLANNEL SHEET.
    It worked very well.

Comment

Thanks Carol Ann. Mom is doing well, thank you for asking.
      I figure I would use flannel and I have even read where some industrious souls have used the flannel back cheapie vinyl tablecloths!
      I have seen some foam boards the size of poster board at the Dollar Tree and thought of getting a few and joining them with some masking tape and covering with flannel. Hoping to get some other frugal ideas!
      How did your Christmas with the GK's go?

Blondie
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Hi Blondie, I took a piece of Luann flooring (more stable but thin and light weight and more permanent) covered it with a light batting and felt. It works like a dream and you can cut it to any size you want from 2x2 ft. to 4x8. I love it. You can get 4x8 sheet of luann for $13.00. You can get 8 2x2ft. pieces out of it. But I intend to get a 4x8 sheet and make a bigger board. I was lucky to share the other one but seeing how much I like it I want a bigger one. You could check with Lowes and they could cut you what ever size you want. If someone only took a half a sheet they would do it for you out of the other half. It would be cheaper of course.
        You can cut it with a utility cutter and make it any size you want if you got a full sheet or let them cut it so it doesn't splinter. You could put it on a wall in your sewing room or have a smaller one and lean it against something. If kept dry it will last forever. If it gets wet (being wood ) it would warp. The nice thing is it's so smooth that the batting and flannel goes on it nice and flat. It was one of the best things our group did. Let me check with my friend and see if there was any left and we'll just send it to you. If not maybe I could get you some and send it to you. Did I mention I loved it?? LOL Once it's cut and covered it's strong but easy to move cause it's so light. And really sturdy.
        Hugs. Jan
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I just made an 8 x 4 design wall using a foam core insulation sheet from Lowes. My husband had used them for a project in our woodworking shop and had an extra one. I don't remember the cost but know that it was really inexpensive. I covered it with batting and he helped me stretch flannel over it. We anchored the flannel on the back using double-sided tape. Love it!!
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

So.....I am confused. Is it better to use quilt batting (cotton) or flannel as your outside surface? I made a small one with polyester batting scrap and it really doesn't stick when the board is vertical without pins. I want to re-do, but what surface do I put on the outside....I have heard both and either. Help???
            Suzy Que
            PS---I used foam core and sewed it on the edges with my machine. It worked great and looks good, but isn't functional.

Comment

Suzy I think it depends a lot on what type of batting you use, it needs to be slightly 'fluffy' so the fibres 'mesh' with your cotton fabric, so the flannel is a very good option. I have used a soft, slightly thicker old style Pellon that I don't think you can get any more and it works great, it's been on my wall for probably 18 years. It does need cleaning of thread occasionally, as they all do, sadly the new style pellons are not even similar to this material. If you cant find a 'fluffy' batting then I would suggest flannel, but again it would be preferable for it to be 'fluffy', some of the newer flannels are more like thick thread fabric, they have no 'fluff'. I hope that makes sense.
              Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Ladies
                Jan, Sandy, Lynn - all great ideas. I agree with the flannel. Reminds me of sunday school, too. hehehe.
                I like the idea of being able to visualize the blocks together. I am trying to figure out the Christmas Star Blocks and I think a design wall would help better than my floor!

Thank you Ladies!
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Thanks Dragonfly, it does make sense. I will look for some fluffy flannel.......I have some in my stash, if it is fluffy enough.....will have to find it! I used my king sized bed for the only quilt I have laid out and we slept elsewhere for almost a week while I made more blocks and rearranged it again and again till it was perfect. I am sure it would be easier to do on a wall! Crawling on the floor doesn't sound like a good idea, either. Thanks for the input!
                  Suzy Que

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the ideas! Just got to find a place to put it. I can't crawl on the floor anymore and the bed needs to be used so I have to move the quilt all the time. I'm going to check this out. Will let you know what I do later.
                    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Hi Blondie, I have founf this sites that may be intereting for you new wall project. Hope it helps.

Love Magx

http://www.factsfacts.com/quilts/Qui...DesignWall.htm
                      http://www.suite101.com/content/maki...gn-wall-a50402
                      Maggie
                      Quilting with a friend will keep you in stitches.

Comment

Thank you Magx! Just now seeing this post. Good grief, I am so spastic when I get behind in my reading.

Blondie
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                        X