Quilting rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting rut

Do you ever feel like you're in a quilting rut? I feel like I'm going around in circles, making the same sorts of projects, not "growing" as a quilter. Nothing about what I'm sewing seems to excite me anymore. I don't feel creative.
    I'm not talking about quilter's block. I'm sewing a lot, have plenty of projects lined up, lots of lovely fabric on the shelf, sewing room all organized again (after the epic flood)...but it's all just "meh". I feel like I need to shake things up...
    What are your thoughts on this subject?
    Last edited by chelea; January 16, 2021, 12:51 AM.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

I go through that at times!! This is why I do challenges like secert santa. It makes me think outta the box.

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      I did join Secret Santa twice, it was lots of fun and yes, creative. For some reason, not a lot of quilts got made those 2 years so I needed to move on.

Have you ever heard of The 100 day project? It's a global , don't know how to explain it very well, expression that anyone can join. You can do anything for 100 days. It is a social media thing, so sharing on Instagram is suggested. I'm thinking of joining , but I have to learn my mini Ipad I got last year to post pics. That could take 100 days. lol I was thinking of doing this, the applique one not the hand sewn one Modern Grandmothers Flower Garden Applique Quilt Pattern (getasquiltingstudio.com)

the100dayproject

Anyway, that might help get you out of a rut. 😊
    Last edited by Hulamoon; January 16, 2021, 02:45 AM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      So interesting! I just might join, and it's perfect timing in that it starts on Jan. 31. Thanks, Lorie. Once again, the lady with the answers!

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy you were interested! I might not pick quilting or sewing because of the Secret Santa group, that's a lot of stuff. I'm thinking of joining the #100daysofpunchneedle group for the challenge.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the same lady that did that neat trapunto with organza I believe.

I just take a break and do something else for while. Its a HOBBY, not a job.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree.

"Quilter's Block." I like that.😁

Seriously, as one who has gone through several iterations of writer's block, I can completely understand what you're saying. My problem, at least where quilts are concerned, isn't block, so much, as burnout. I made nine tops, many 72 x 72 inches, in two months and really got tired of it. I know for writer's block the best thing for me was to just set aside whatever I was doing and do something completely different from writing. Eventually, I find myself becoming drawn to whatever it is I was working on. I've finished quite a few articles that way. One even took me over a year to get back to, but if I had written it when I was in the ditch, it wouldn't have been published.

The key is not to be too hard on yourself. Creativity can't be switched on and off like a light. Sometimes you have to push yourself into doing something you'd rather not, but if you're not enjoying it the best thing is just to step aside and let it marinate for a while.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      I've felt my creativity collapse whenever I have to produce on a deadline....like the time I made 4 rag quilts in December (doesn't sound like much to some, but I was working 60 hours a week in a pressure cooker job), or if someone asks me to make a certain quilt with a fabric I haven't picked. I could never sew for profit but I admire those who can.
      Perhaps I need to step away from the safety of my pre-cuts for a bit, play with my scraps and see what develops.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I just did just that, and am having so much fun! No pressure no deadline.

I have great ideas in my head but I just haven't felt like sewing for quite a while. I am intrigued by the wooden spool ornaments that Suzanne posted and I have been looking for some mini cross stitch designs to try some of those. I think I need something I can pick up and put down easily. Hoping something smaller might spur bigger things. I have two quilts I want to complete this year - they were actually on last year's list before the liver transplant happened. But it needs to happen at a time when it's enjoyable and not just one more thing to do on the list. I want to enjoy the process as well as the finished product.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cokie, I'm the same I haven't finished any bed size quilts in a year due to space and a dog that sheds terribly. My living situation is going to change soon. Lots more space so I plan to really knock them out this year!!. I crochet when I want yo get something done in a day!

I don't make very challenging quilts because to tell the truth I hate piecing. If a block has more than 25 pieces I really have to push myself to do it. And if there is much marh involved, just forget it. I am ok with that though. It means I never make anything that doesn't turn out. I have a Pinterest board with about 1500 quilts on it for inspiration. One of my favorites (don't laugh) is just plain old patchwork just squares sewed together. I have never made one but someday I want to. I think they are really pretty. I recently bought those perfect slotted triangle rulers Jenny is always bragging about so I guess my next quilt needs to have HST or I will feel guilty for buying them. But Rob said it best, it's a hobby and it should be fun.

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      Those rulers are great, makes HST addictive.

I understand what you're saying. I have no pressing gifts to make so just another quilt didn't seem appealing. So for 2021 I'm focusing on

1. Learning to hand quilt and have a small project in mind to do.
    2. Try a block with curves to improve my sewing control.
    3. Work on color and design rather than rely so heavily on the designer lines.
    4. Try a more challenging block with tighter construction.

Plus I'm adding in a couple of goofy projects like fabric buckets and an apron to change up the scenery.

Good luck breaking your growth.

Sandy

​​​​​

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a nice list! Aprons are so fun to make. I like to use the fabrics that I love too much to cut up into little pieces.

I do like to shake thing up and learn new skills. It was easy when the LQS offered classes. The calendar was full every month so there were lots of choices. I miss them.

Are you still feeling the stress of the flood and the chaos of clean-up? Be kind to you first and then decide on something new. What would you like to learn or make? Look for inspiration with patterns and fabrics. Play with the stash or scraps. Most of have fun and let the joy return to your sewing time. Best wishes on your journey.

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I finally got the room put back together. That felt great. Told hubs I felt like I was adrift without my sewing space, he laughed. I wasn't kidding. I do miss classes and charity sew at my LQS too.
      Today I came across a book on medallion quilts that I had forgotten about. I think I'm going to play with this for awhile. It's a mix and match but the math has already been done. Great book. https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own...s%2C160&sr=8-1

Sometimes its okay to stroke the fabric and look at your books, magazine, patterns, or the web, to see what is new/old out there. Then one day something will spike your interest and off you go on another quilting journey. (at least that is what I do for myself)

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I do this also. A break from sewing is not usually a complete break. I organize and admire my fabric collection, tweak my sewing space, learn about sewing online. Usually something sparks inspiration or the need to get off the couch and be productive and avoid housework, lol. Trying something new is often exciting.

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Hike your comment "...avoid housework" LOL! I really laughed at that

I made a small baby blanket out of minky last night following one of Jenny's tutorials. It was quick and easy and I think helped me get my sewjo back. I think I have just been burnt out from Christmas sewing. It is time for me to get to my county fair sewing so I need my sewjo. Hope you get yours back soon.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      We used to have a good old fashioned country fair in my town years ago. I loved entering stuff! Now that's all gone and it's midway rides, beer garden and food trucks.

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have a project in mind for your county fair sewing? I'm an east-coast suburban girl and county fairs aren't common here, but my DD lives in VA and I've been to a couple of fairs there. Saw some amazing quilts and beautiful chickens.

I am looking for a project - My biggest problem is that I just don't see any fabric that is appealing to me - one ugly collection after another (my personal opinion, of course) My fabric stash, although it looks like a lot, needs some freshening up - nothing out there I want at a price I'm willing to pay. So, I've started doing some machine embroidery and that has kept me occupied the past few months.

Comment

Hillbillyhike and chelea, I am not sure how to answer your questions right under my post so doing it this way. I am able to enter a lot of entries for our fair. I don't make quilts. I am not that good. But I do enter cross stitch, baking, crafts and sewing items. Depending on my time I enter 60-80 items. This year wanting to do a "sewing" theme and use up some of my stash. It is sew much fun and I look forward to it each year.

Comment

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that must keep you incredibly busy! I think it's a rare quilter who doesn't have one or more hobbies besides quilting. I do some cross stitch and simple knitting. And lately a lot of coloring which is so relaxing.

chelea, Yes, it does keep me busy--which I love. I retired this past May (for the 3rd time and final time) so that is going to help me have more time -- I hope. I live in a smallish town of 10,000 people and the fair is a big deal each year.

Comment

After complaining about a lack of creativity, here's my first finish for 2021. I found a book on mini quilts that I had forgotten about. This is an Edyta Sitar pattern and my first time trying broderie perse. All the fabrics were in my stash; the only things I purchased were 2 spools of thread to match the appliquΓ©. It finished at 21" square. BethB (Nancy) if you see this, that lovely green fabric you gave me was just perfect!

Jan21mini.jpg
        Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          OHH that is beautiful! So well done.

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I really do like that!

Rob
      Working...
      X