Longarm flooring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longarm flooring

I received a longarm machine & 10' frame for Christmas. My craft room is being renovated. What flooring is best? My husband wants to put in carpet. So either carpet or laminate wood floor?

I prefer laminate for easy cleanup and for seeing dropped pins, etc. The frame may be easier to keep level on laminate. I have an anti-fatigue mat for standing at the frame.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I would think laminate is best as well for the same reasons.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I'd go with the laminate wood. It's a whole lot easier to clean up all of the lint and threads (voice of experience here) and you don't lose those runaway pins in it.
        Congratulations on your new machine! What a fabulous gift you got!
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Laminate for sure.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

We had Pergo laminate wood in a bedroom. The window air conditioner leaked on the laminate floor and whatever it's made of swelled up and disintegrated. We ended up replacing the floor. I wouldn't recommend that product if there's any chance of exposure to water. There's now vinyl laminate plank flooring that looks like wood. It's waterproof and looks really nice.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Congratulations on that awesome Christmas present! Now you can really crank 'em out. My sewing rooms, (3 diff houses) have always been ex-bedrooms so every one had carpet including my current one. I don't mind the vacuuming except for minky (grrr) which gets mashed into the carpet and has to be hand picked out. I am pretty good about not dropping pins since I use a lot of Wonder Clips.
              Last edited by jjkaiser; December 29, 2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I have an indoor/outdoor almost no carpet pile in my sewing rooms. It was laid floating over a concrete floor, so if I want to remove it at some time, easy, peasy and it provides some warmth to the area. This allows for easy cleanup, pin pickup and ....unfortunately flooding from a broken water line. Carpet has been down for years and still looks new. No impressions from repeated walkings in certain directions to cutting table, sewing areas, ironing areas, etc.
                “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I live in a very old house so have a hardwood floor in my quilting room. I like it. Easy to clean up those threads and find those pins. So it just needs vacuuming.
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I have a concrete floor in my soon-to-be-finished addition which will be my sewing room. I've debated between carpet, various wood and wood alternative options, along with vinyl, porcelain and ceramic floor tile. I decided to go with a completely different finish. It will be finished with 2-part epoxy paint usually used for garages. A second clear coat will be placed over it. That way I can re-arrange furniture, cutting table and sewing machine cabinets until I'm satisfied with the layout and can get area rugs later if needed. I wanted easy to keep clean flooring at a reasonable price.

If I were to finish a floor that was on floor joists I'd probably go with vinyl because it's more durable and water resistant.

Comment

• MSN
                      MSN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Love this idea, Judy! I have that flooring in my garage. Just a word of warning -- the epoxy has a strong smell until it has cured. You might need to move out for a couple of days.

My long arm is in a part of the basement that is partially finished but just has concrete floors. I bought those squares of spongy foam that lock together to cushion my feet when longarming for long sessions.

Comment

• Caroline T.
                      Caroline T. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jean, while my sewing room isn't in a basement, it's an extension of the garage so I too have concrete floors and used the foam locking tiles. Love them, easy to clean and easy of the feet. My only downside is that the decorative top layer (mine have a hardwood design) have some areas pealing up at the locking teeth.

when we built I had Pergo installed in my sewing room. It is so much easier to clean up than carpet would be. If we were doing it now I would put in LVT (luxury vinyl tile). I would think any hard surface would be preferable to carpet.

Comment

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful Christmas gift!!! My only opinion on flooring comes from my ordinary sewing room which has carpeting -- I am constantly clogging up my vacuum feed with thread and scraps, which makes me think a non-carpet floor might be better. But wow, enjoy your amazing gift!

Comment

Would definitely go with vinyl plank. This can be laid glue down or floating, depending on your preference. We replaced the carpeting in our last house to this and would love to do it again. It is awesome to keep clean. Just a damp mop and done! Also DH got me a shop magnet to pick up loose pins. Love I don't have to bend over to retrieve them.
                        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                        Aesop

Comment

What a great Christmas present!! I have ceramic tile in my quilting room. My husband put it down years ago before luxury vinyl. If I had it all to do over again I would choose vinyl. I had it put in the downstairs den and I love the stuff! Its so kid, pet friendly and easy to take care of and it looks good.
                          Last edited by TMP; April 6, 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X