Machine Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Binding

Yesterday I picked up two quilts from my longarmer. She did a beautiful job quilting them. I had vowed that these two quilts would be the ones on which I would learn to machine bind. I have always sewn bindings on by machine and then hand hemmed them. I have very painful arthritis in both hands and can no longer hold a needle or do the pinching motion to pull a needle through layers of fabric.

Yesterday I trimmed the edges of the borders and squared the corners. I also cut and made the binding. I thought the machine sewing part might last two hours considering this was my first one.

Here is what I learned today:

1). I grossly underestimated the amount this project would take. I didn’t take into account that little Sugar would have a meltdown because I wasn’t holding her all morning or that I would break two sewing machine needles. I found that a denim needle worked best for my machine.

2). I thought that I could sew binding on evenly all all four sides of my quilt but I found that my sewing wanders a little so I sewed an additional line around the whole thing. This is when I realized how huge a king size quilt is. It was either dumb or brave of me to learn on a quilt this big. I also felt like I was wrestling with an octopus and losing the match.

3). I used Donna Jordan’s method which calls for finger pressing....not smart to use arthritic fingers this way. By tomorrow my hands may be claws!

4). Stitching in the ditch isn’t that easy but some of it was okay. I have a foot for my machine that might be for ditching....maybe for buttonholes.

5). Corners, ah yes I said corners. Two were disasters and two are okay. In the future, if I ever do this thing again, I will use my method for corners.

6). Once I was done I did a quality check. Not terrible, but a LOT of room to improve.

The whole process took about four hours, plus a half hour break to make spaghetti sauce for our dinner.

Will I do this again...yes. I don’t like to let things like this defeat me.

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

I forgot this...it’s 105” square.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bubby; November 4, 2020, 04:40 PM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh My!! We talked about this while you were piecing it & it looks fabulous. You are right in that you can't let things like the octopus quilt defeat you. We all would stop quilting. Turn the page & go to the next. Gina

• nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      That is one lovely looking quilt and huge!! I gave one away i'd had quilted but I never put the binding on!! I was stressed at the time. excuses...

Wow Barb! The red really sets it off beautifully, love the fabrics. Can't wait to see the next one.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

It's beautiful!

You're right, it's a definite learning curve. I like putting the binding on the back first, press it with steam (instead of finger pressing) and pull to the front and clip the devil out of it. I use a decorative stitch on the front side using a color that matches the binding and backing.

Once you get used to doing it with a machine, you'll never go back.

Melinda uses the prefolded binding and just clips it on and stitches it down. I've not been brave enough to try that yet. She says... I refuse to do binding in more than one step. It's just so much easier this way.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I use Donna Jordan's machine binding method all the time (no hand binding for me!). You are right, there is a learning curve. Like Katrina, I do not finger press, I use an iron. I sew mine to the front, iron it from the front, then flip it over and iron the binding down on the back. I clip the heck out of it. Then I go one step further...I glue it in place. I use a lapel stick. It takes longer, but I stopped having issues with my feed dogs making the binding wonky and not catching sections on the back. I use a SITD foot to sew in place.

You quilt is absolutely lovely, I admire your fortitude trying something new on a quilt that big!

Comment

I've done machine bindings. I sew to the back and turn the front and sew down with the machine. I still hand sew bigger quilts..I like the look. I've even done a two color binding one color on the front and one on the back. That was interesting lol.

Comment

Your quilt looks great. Your machine binding will get faster and better with practice. I hope your hands aren't too sore tomorrow.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

well from what i can see from here, it looks just fine. You got it done!!! i tend to machine stitch now. I press my binding fold in all the length, then place it on the quilt to decide where to start. i want to avoid the seams in the binding landing on a corner if possible. it isn't always possible. I usually use large straight pins to hold the binding, making sure the pins go along the sewn edge and check the back with each pinning to make sure i caught the binding on the back.
              then i machine stitch, usually on the front and fold to the back. sometimes i use my walking foot. i just find a place on the foot to keep watch so the quilt edge stays 1/4 inch away from the needle. I have sewn the binding on the back and folded over to the front on some quilts and then stitched but not often. YOU did GREAT. king sized. yep, you did GREAT.
              Last edited by nativetexan; November 5, 2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Looks great to me! I also machine bind my quilts; I sew to the back and then pull to the front. I also use a decorative stitch when I sew down. It takes some patient to perfect this - still working on this point - but at least they are getting done. The only thing I do by hand is to sew the label on the back of the quilt.

Your work is gorgeous! Love that pattern ... can't wait to see the next one!

Comment

Wow! That’s a really big quilt......I so admire your persistence! Your quilt is gorgeous and I hope your hands don’t bother you too much today. I machine bind small quilts.....I still hand sew larger ones.....you’re much braver than me! 💗
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

I haven't had very much success with machine sewn binding. I will do it by hand as long as I can.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I never had much luck with machine binding and could not see the point in "practicing" with a real quilt then a friend let me in on her secret...she sews the binding to the front of the quilt, turns it to the back and glue bastes it before sewing it down again I sew from the front and often use a decorative stitch, I like to use a blanket, serpentine or hem stitch.
                      One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Very lovely quilt. Heroic to learn machine binding on such a large project. Congratulations. Its done and beautiful.

Comment

It looks great! Machine-sewing the binding isn't always perfect but only someone looking for mistakes will find them. Remember, we are our own worst critics!
                          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Bubby. You've inspired me to try this method.

Comment

Working...
                            X