Sashiko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sashiko

I've been pondering the thought of doing Sashiko, does anyone here do it? looks like it could be very meditative.
    I forgot to show a baby quilt Shashiko Baby.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ktdid; November 1, 2020, 06:44 AM.
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Not much different than hand quilting, which I do a lot of.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

It’s a beautiful type of embroidery. You might really enjoy the rhythm of making uniform stitches. Give it a try on something small and see how it goes.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I do like the look of it, but hand work like that would drive me a bit batty. Or, you could buy a sashiko sewing machine for the small price of $2,999! https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/BL-BLQK.php
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• ktdid
          ktdid commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll just deduct that from the large sum of no life ins. Bob left me!!

Or....you could buy a used one on eBay for $1250. That is if you hurry. Bidding ends in 12 hours 35 minutes 16 seconds. I was a bit tempted because I just love machines. Do I need another one.....nah!
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Lock-S...0AAOSwIs9fe01I
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I have a little opinion on this (don't throw anything) Shashiko is a Japanese medium and it's done on indigo fabric. My husband was Japanese, I live in a heavily populated Japanese community. So to me it's just big stitch hand quilting. It's like Hawaiian quilting is always an echo stitch. It's a big stich too, but echoed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• ktdid
            ktdid commented
            Editing a comment
            Your right Lorie, the traditional started out as a way to repair workers clothing, it was their way of a decretive way of mending. But as usual when it came to other cultures, we had to be different, and gussie it up.

I have done sashiko but not on indigo. It differs from Big Stitch by being uniform. I also did black work embroidery on even weave fabric. Yes, it is very soothing once you get into a rhythm.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

I am no expert but I thought Sashiko is normally done with the stitching lines really really close together, like closer than 1/4 inch. To me it looks like big stitch quilting, usually done in dark thread vs the white thread of traditional hand quilting.

Comment

I do not do it, but there is a shop about five miles from my house that specializes in it. They have a huge following online......https://shiboridragon.com/

pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the link! My youngest is into embroidery and the preprinted cloth might interest her.

• oldmanquilts
                oldmanquilts commented
                Editing a comment
                Shibori Dragon is on 27th and my son lives on 35th. It's about a 10 minute walk for me. For some odd reason I thought they had closed the retail store. I used to walk over every time I visit.

• bubba
                bubba commented
                Editing a comment
                They close or move every three years or so. They just recently moved again in the past few months. This time, they are in the same building, still on 27th, but a smaller section.

Learned something new about these designs.....
              shibori is designs dyed into the fabric. Sashiko is the stitching of the designs.
              Check out Dorie Javier for sashiko preprinted squares
              Christy

Comment

I am just getting started on sashiko, so am eager to find links and dig deeper. I love the look of the repetitive stitching on the dark blue.

Comment

Working...
                X