Fabric not being cut with first try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric not being cut with first try

I am a beginner sewer. I have a olfa cutting mat and cutter. I have had these tools for about 6 months. Recently, I was not able to cut even one piece of fabric on the first try so I replaced the blades. I still could not make simple cuts so I got a new olfa 45mm cutter. Still having the same issues! I cannot get a clean single cut, not even with one fabric. So I googled and read that it may be my mat. So I turned it around and tried to cut on the unmarked side. (This side has never been used so no edges, I figured.) I am still having the same issue.

What am I doing wrong? I have watched videos & I don’t think I am cutting it wrong.

Any ideas?
    I can get another board but it is only 6 months old!
    Can someone help me?
    Thank you.

Did you check to make sure there was only 1 blade on your handle? In multiple packs it's easy to get two blades stuck together, and that will mess up your cutting.

My Olaf mat is well over 8 years old and going strong, so I don't think that would be the issue.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure there will be others chiming in with other ideas.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I had a hard time cutting once and it was because two blades were stuck together. Or you put it back together backwards. I've done that too. It's probably something simple like that. Don't despair 😊
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Only one blade and the cutter is brand new from yesterday.

Comment

Maybe try watching some YT videos on how to cut fabric.

Comment

I know this going to sound stupid. I have had instances where I thought I was cutting fabric but was not because my blade was not all the way down to the mat, the middle was hung up on the ruler so it wouldn’t go down far enough.
            Carlie

Comment

I just found something I didn't know before. The lettering on the blade should face out. I checked the two on my table and one is facing in. Sure enough it had been acting weird. I thought it was the linen I was cutting. Is that it?
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

The surface your mat is sitting on could also be causing a problem. Is it uneven? Not stable? Just grasping at straws here but I have heard that this could also be an issue.
                Maria

Comment

I use olfa products too. Never had any issues. What cutter do you have? Can you show a pic. I have two different ones of theirs...easier to thouble shoot if we knew which one. One you release the blade with a button and have to hold in the handle to cut. The other you release the blade by pulling down the safety back. Are you releasing the blade? I only ask because you state it's not cutting at all..not spotty cutting. It's okay to be new with the products.

Comment

If you are left handed, many rotary cutters don't work properly as the wrong way is facing the ruler, could it be that?

Comment

I'm going to chime in here, please do not think I'm insulting your intelligence! This is what I would do. Take the cutter, open the blade, is it past the guard? then I'd cut a piece of fabric without the ruler, did it cut? it should have, if not there's your problem...if it cut the fabric, leave the blade open, & butt the ruler against the open blade and cut the fabric, if it didn't cut, then you're not lining up the cutter with the ruler correctly. For me I have to go step by step.
                      Kathryn
                      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Welcome to the group!

You only mentioned issues. Please clarify what happens with the cuts and the issues? There can be many issues with different solutions.

First, be sure the ruler mark is on the fabric. If you only bring the mark to the fabric edge, the cut will be short. This was something that I had to correct when cutting.

Next, line the folded edge of fabric with a line on the mat. Line it up straight. Be sure the fabric is folded selvage to selvage.

Line the ruler to the needed cut size so it overlaps the bottom and top edges of fabric. I use a 24.5 inch ruler for WOF (width of fabric).

Place a line on the ruler along the bottom fold of fabric.

Bring the rotary cutter to the edge of the ruler. Place it before the fold. Very Important; Be sure the blade is straight up to the ruler edge.

Roll the blade against the ruler--all the way up through the fabric. No lifting of the blade. You should have a good cut!

Video here. (I don't make the second fold so that the cutting is only two layers of fabric.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfvKE0Y6npk

What size is your cutter? Does it fit your hand comfortably? Are you left or right hand dominant?

I use a 60 mm cutter and have more control.

Last thought: Please wear a cut glove.

Comment

How frustrating for you. Hang in there. I've had the double blade problem before. Plus at times ill get the blade too close to the ruler and jump the curb so to speak. I have a very simple Fiskars cutter so it only works one way with the shield away from the ruler. I think I d try setting aside the ruler for a minute and get comfortable with just the cutter. Then reproduce that motion with the ruler like Rhonda describes. Good luck

Comment

we have all probably put a new blade in the cutter incorrectly. the curved round thing must go back on exactly as it came off. and blades can stick together due to having oil on them when packaged. Check those two problems to see if that helps.

Comment

I would check again to see if two blades are stuck together. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Also stand up when cutting fabric with rotary cutter. It's hard to get a clean straight cut sitting down. I learned that when I first started quilting. Olfa has a video on how to replace blades that is helpful too.
                              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X