Newer isn't always better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer isn't always better

I have been trying to sew multiple layers of applique and I could not get my Kenmore or the Brother to sew through without problems. Out came the 1959 Brother and sewed through all those layers like it was butter. I bought this machine at a garage sale last year on a road trip with Lynda. Paid $10 for this workhorse and worth every penny.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Agreed!! My bernina was one of the last made in Switzerland and she's a beaut! I gave my mom's kenmore metal machine to my oldest daughter. I hope she still has it!!

Comment

My first sewing machine was a White. Heavier than all get out but I had it for a very long time before i traded it in. Needed work. Dave bought it for me our first married Christmas, 1974. Traded it in about 10 years ago.
      Carlie

Comment

• Monique
        Monique commented
        Editing a comment
        I also have an old White. I have a lot of machines, LOL!!

Originally posted by Monique View Post
      I have been trying to sew multiple layers of applique and I could not get my Kenmore or the Brother to sew through without problems. Out came the 1959 Brother and sewed through all those layers like it was butter. I bought this machine at a garage sale last year on a road trip with Lynda. Paid $10 for this workhorse and worth every penny.
      I keep an old slant-needle Singer for the same reason
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

My old featherweight will go where newer machines are afraid to go 😁. You’re right..... newer isn’t always better!
        💫 Star lover

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          That is my go-to machine for piecing and applying the binding. I do use a modern machine with a walking foot to sew down the other side of the binding.

I still have several vintage/antique Singers (and Whites). The 201 (age 73 was used to make seat covers for Roles Royce ) will sew through anything , so will the 66 (age 74) the 99, the 185, the 221 (age 72) and the 301. Can't beat the performance of these straight-stitch machines. I love my Brother innov-is (who is also up there in years).
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Monique
          Monique commented
          Editing a comment
          What does it look like?

• ktdid
          ktdid commented
          Editing a comment
          Monique were you asking about the darner??

• Cowgirl quilter
          Cowgirl quilter commented
          Editing a comment
          My first vintage machine is a 201 - $10 at a second hand store. It is my go to for heavy fabrics ( like denim) and replacing coat zippers. It sees smoothly, with no hesitation, through anything.

Singer Flat Darner.jpg Singer 2 different ones
        Singer Stocking Darner.JPG
        Attached Files
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• chelea
          chelea commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one of these. It came with my 1910 Singer 27 treadle.

Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/b/singer-darner/bn_7024726875
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

oh! Monique! I'm in trouble now! for some reason I have the urge to ORDER! thanks lot! lol That was sweet of you! Geeze did you see that one for $200.00, not in this lifetime...
          Kathryn
          There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Monique
            Monique commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry!!!!!

My everyday goto machine is a Viking from the 60s and 70s. It's a fabulous straight stitcher and had ZZ and enough "fancy" stitches to do the job. I has one feature that no other machine has had ever or since. It's the mechanical gear change which allows for stitching several layers of denim, leather etc. It's available on the 5000 thru 6000 series. I recommend this to anyone looking for the ultimate machine. I've had five of them and sold 3. Now I only keep two around. They are available at Goodwill and other places. Easy to repair, clean and tune.
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

My workhorse is my 1967 Kenmore heavy duty that was a gift from my parents for my 13th birthday. It powers through anything and has been a godsend for making masks.
            Last edited by chelea; October 28, 2020, 02:24 PM.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Working...
            X