Best Cutting Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Cutting Mat

Just thinking of moving up a size on my cutting mat which is 18"x24" (A2?) up to the next size 24"x36" (A1?). Which brand of mat would you recommend - checked Amazon for choices but not heard of most of them so maybe someone can suggest which one I should look for. I don't have a lot of surface space so this about as big as I could go. Thanks for any help

Martelli mats are great, but if you are in the UK I'm not sure they are available to you. The good thing about Amazon is most of the time you can go by the reviews. Fiskars and Olfa mats are some common ones that are good.w
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

https://usartsupply.com/collections/cutting-mats

Mine is from this company. I like it a lot. I've had it maybe 4 or 5 years now and it's still in great shape. And there was no strong offensive odor to it! I had bought one at JoAnn Fabrics but had to return it because I couldn't tolerate the strong plastic smell. I don't remember what brand it was.
      ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link! I emailed them for the shipping cost of a 36x48 mat. I cleaned off my dining table and it would be great to have a bigger size.

I have never invested in a high end cutting mat. I use a 24x36 reversible Fiskars mat and have used it for at least 12 years with good results and I do a LOT of cutting. I put a piece of rubberized shelf line under it to prevent sliding. It is soft yellow on one side and light green on the other side. I think I bought it on Amazon but it should be easy to find.
      Last edited by Bubby; October 27, 2020, 09:47 AM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great idea using the rubberized shelf lining under the mat. I’m going to get some of that.

I have the green "olfa" on the cutting table. It is 24x36. My criteria is that you can see the numbers on the edge if I bring fabric to the line. I don't want any truncated numbers on the edges. I also want the numbers to read left to right on both the top and bottom of the mat. Some mats alternate the directions of the numbers on the edges so you can work either way.

I also have the aqua friskars mat under the sewing machine. It is 24x36. Again the numbers are on the edge and large enough to see.

I don't like the number layout on the Martelli mats or the sub-measures.

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        I also use a cutting mat underneath my sewing machine. I put some rubberized shelf under the mat so my machines don’t vibrate and move around.

Agreed with Rhonda. We have an Olfa, that we used double stick tape to keep it from sliding. We also have the smaller Olfa rotary mat, which I don't use as much as Cheryl does. Before Cheryl had a June Taylor mat that lasted about 10 years.

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

I've never owned any other brand than Olfa.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm the same as Joy...my ex bought a fiskers for me I gave it to my daughter. My olfa has traveled the world with me. I store it between matresses when needed.

I bought an Alvin (24x36) on Amazon strictly based on the price but it’s not currently available in the US. It was not sold as a rotary cutting mat but I’ve been happy with it.
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

It's me again - thanks for all the suggestions. I was leaning towards an Olfa as that is the one I already have. In my Google search I found this link so have sent for the free sample and asked if measurements are on both sides. Should be interesting - I'll let you know 🤞 Would probably go for an Olfa otherwise

https://rhinocuttingmat.co.uk/produc...n-cutting-mat/

Comment

Working...
          X