Need sewing machine advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need sewing machine advise

I’m a new kid on the “Block” finding my way around this forum. I’m looking to buy a quilting sewing machine. I’m have my eye on the Baby lock Accomplish 520B. I have a 20 year old Husquavarna that still works well but does not do ruler quilting. This Babylock is pretty basic and I have researched it but cannot find out if you can buy a ruler foot for it? If so, is it a medium, low or high shank? MSQ has 3 choices but doesn’t say if it will work with BL520. It also has a pin on the feed dogs that may interfere if it isn’t the correct ruler foot. Anyone have this machine and use it for ruler quilting?

Hi
    They don't show that as a compatible foot on their site. Are you stuck on Babylocks?

https://www.babylock.com/machines/se...sh/accessories
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Capecodkelley
      Capecodkelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really. I watch a lot of tutorials on the MSQ site and they use that machine. I liked that it didn’t have a lot of electronics on it but I really want to try ruler quilting and I will keep looking if it won’t work. Thanks for replying!

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      If you get a newer Husquavarna-Viking you could use your old feet, I think. I have an older Rose that is a work horse, but needs servicing. Great machines.

I think that is the machine nearly identical to the Juki 2010, which is right around $1000. I have the Juki and LOVE it! It is a straight stitch only machine and you can do ruler work with it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Capecodkelley
      Capecodkelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked this out and I thank you so much! It is almost the same minus that feed dog pin, which I’d never heard of before today, and the stitch length went to 7 which is no big deal. On the other hand, it had a speed lever which was a good addition. One of the things I liked about the babylock was when I saw tutorials on the site, they never had to use a lead fabric which I need to do with my husquavarna. It has always been a pain in the neck so my question to you is....do you need anything like that? Also, it doesn’t come with a ruler foot so where did you get yours and is it made by Juki? Is it a high or low shank machine. I’m definitely putting this machine at the top of the list.

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Juki 2200 and they have a ruler foot, it will probably fit all juki. You do need to file off part of the foot to be able to use the ruler on the left side of the foot. It is easy to do.

• Capecodkelley
      Capecodkelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Claire, I found a foot on Amazon. They only had one left so I scooped it up!😊

Maybe you can call Juki and Baby Lock dealers near you and tell them what you're looking for. They can answer any questions about the feet. I've looked on the Baby Lock site for a walking foot for my Baby Lock Destiny and nowhere on the site does it say there is one that's compatible. Sometimes the manufacturer sites are a little hard to find info on. I'm calling the dealer one day this week to ask her.
    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Brother fits the Babylock if you want to save money. I bought one before.
      https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/X89702001.php

• Capecodkelley
      Capecodkelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I was able to find what I needed. 😊

• Rhonda K
      Rhonda K commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you not use the large dual feed one that comes with the machine? It plugs into the back of the machine. There are different feet that you can attach to the DF foot. SITD, 1/4 guide and open toe/couching foot. Check with the dealer as they may need to be ordered.

PS: There is a new WF available for the machine. It's a new accessory.

https://www.babylock.com/accessories...walking-foot-1

I have a Viking Sapphire 930 (it's about 7 yrs old) that I love. I have done ruler work on it as well as FMQ. I have a Clarity ruler foot as well as a Viking ruler foo. One of the most important features one needs to look at (at least in my opinion) is the throat space. The Sapphire 930 has a 10" throat which is very helpful when you are trying to move a quilt around. The price of it was around $1300 when I bought it but I have no idea what the price is now. One good thing about buying another Viking is that most likely the feet you have will be able to be used on the new one (but I would check this out with the dealer). You can find out about the shank by going to the Viking website - sorry I can't remember if it's high or low shank! I do not know anything about Babylock so I can't compare those 2. I have had Viking machines for years and have been very happy with them. My advice is to go and physically see and try out different machines - have a list of questions and you will quickly find out what features are "must haves" for you. Good luck

Comment

• Capecodkelley
      Capecodkelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I called the Husqvarna sewing department and they told me unfortunately the older machines could not use a ruler foot. I tried to order one on Amazon but had to send it back. There is just not enough space. However, I bought a Juki and was able to order a Juki ruler foot so I’m very excited about getting that soon.

I have a Husquarvana Sapphire & my GF has the Opal. There is a Westalee foot and ruler starter kit that you can get to quilt on DSM. I dont do it as much anymore as I have LA.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

The Juki TL 2010 uses high shank feet. Sew Vac Direct (link) sells a Juki ruler foot for the TL series machines.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Are you shopping for a DSM that will do FMQ with rulers, or are you looking for a table LA? I have the Baby Lock Tiara II table LA with an 18" extension to the table on the L. side. I do not need a special foot to use rulers. Tiara II - Sept. 2015 002.JPG

Comment

• Capecodkelley
          Capecodkelley commented
          Editing a comment
          What a beautiful machine! I am looking for something very simple. Hopefully I made the right decision with the Juki 2010 Q

I was thinking if you wanted to get a Babylock you should look at the Jazz. I wish I would of gotten it before I bought my Cresendo. We didn't get along. I have a Pfaff now.

Anyway, I saw the Jazz listed at $1,299.
        https://www.babylock.com/machines/sewing/jazz

The throat is so big!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Capecodkelley
          Capecodkelley commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked at the jazz but it wasn’t quite what I needed. I’m going to try a Juki. Now to figure out where to set it up. I have been using my porch room but have to disassemble everything when I finish sewing for the day.I have an empty room upstairs so my brain tells me future sewing room! LOL

• sewUK
          sewUK commented
          Editing a comment
          I live in the UK and very difficult to find babylock machines - but I was pulled in by "The throat is so big!" so checked it out.

Can this be true !!!?
          https://www.moores-sew.com/shop/baby-lock-jazz-ii/ What a great price !!

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my gosh! I know 12'' is huge. That's why I kick myself for not getting it first a couple of years ago. That's a steal!!

Thanks for all your comments! I decided to go for the Juki2010Q. I ordered it and now I’m waiting like a kid waiting for Christmas morning., lol. I appreciate all the input. It made my decision easier. Looking forward to getting to know some of my fellow quilters.

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Your a good shopper. Have fun!

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on your decision!

Welcome to the group!

• Capecodkelley
          Capecodkelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I’ve watched so many tutorials I think I should be able to set it up and start right away.

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy in good health when it arrives (also the new sewing room).
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

Since your getting your new machine and foot ( Yea! ) Can I ask what templets you have or plan on getting? You have me interested now. I have no idea what to look for.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Capecodkelley
            Capecodkelley commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought a Creative Grids Slim ruler to start. It looked like a good beginner one but I’ve put a few others on my wish list on Amazon. If you google ruler quilting you can find several tutorial or demonstrations of the rulers. There was one that was a 4 in 1 ruler that looked interesting. You could do several different designs with it. I can’t wait to start.

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            That does look like a good start, great video. For some reason I though ruler quilting might be cheating instead of free motion. Now it looks more like (sounds dumb) like applique which I like to do. Like following lines. I have some big projects right now, but after the Holidays I'm so going to do this! Thanks!

Angela Walters is having a live chat on rulers on 10-29. I went to subscribe to her and what do you know. Must be serendipity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMQT7P-xt_4
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

She has a FMQ Challenge that I might try. I just got my new Juki 2010Q yesterday and had a great time today getting used to it. I think it will be a lot of fun. I did a little mug rug practice piece today with a ruler and ruler foot. Can’t wait to do more. I am finding that little quilted mug rugs are great practice pieces. You can do one in a day and learn to practice different techniques. If they aren’t perfect it isn’t the end of the world. Lots of family and friends are getting mug rugs this year! . This is my first try today on my Juki. I used the straight ruler “Sid” by Creative Grids. I have to put on a little binding tomorrow. Lots of mistakes but a start!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X