Thrift store find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrift store find

SAM_8718.JPG I am just home from going to the local thrift store. I bought a few small things and was leaving , when an older gentleman who volunteers there was pulling a quilt out of a bag. I asked him if he was putting it aside for himself , and he asked me if I wanted it. I said O I most definitely want to see it and maybe take it. A woman who volunteers there was trying to detour it her way by telling him it should go in the back for pricing for a few days. He said Cathy's here and she does pricing and he went to get her right there and then, handing me the quilt to unfold and look at . I didn't let it go, lol. . I never knew Cathy's name before ,tho' I see her there often . She is a really sweet lady. She asked what I would pay for it. O that's a tough question indeed. What would you say to that question ? I know if it did make it to a rack it would go for about $12. If it went on auction well it would easily go for a lot more. I didn't want to be cheap , but I didn't want to over pay either. I said I would gladly give you $20 for it , if that's not lower than you would ask. Sold. Can you believe this treasure that the gods sent to cross my path? I love how colorful it is, and I love the pattern tho' I don't know the name of the pattern.
    I went to the dollar store beside the thrift store. I should listen to my instincts, my feeling was to avoid that store.. Some woman and her kid were in there and seriously staff should have said loud as they could , to get the Freak out you yahoos, but they were mute. The customer was walking around with her mask hanging off her lower lip. The kid ( cabbage patch reject ) was jittering all the place falling againist shelves and shaking a lot , his mask was tucked under his chin. I am not a confrontational person. I almost said something. Jack would have shouted at them to put that mask on right now !
    I think that bothered me so much because my daughter had just told me that the local dentist Dr Younges contacted all his patients , to say his assistant tested positive. His office is one street away from the dollar store. My daughter's coworker told her about it because the coworker was contacted to say she had been in contact with the positive assistant. I told my daughter this means I am 2 people away from contact with the virus. Discouraging. I am also worried for my daughter, who was 1 person away from the virus People are going to great lengths to hide it when they or someone they live with has the virus.. Lisa just found out from another coworker, that the 2nd coworker's father had the virus in March, and she was afraid to say anything at the time. Yet she showed up at work with symptoms during the time she was taking care of him.
    I can see why my daughter is feeling down today. They put her at risk, one knowingly and the other unknowingly.

Oh my goodness. I"m so sorry about your daughter being exposed. One good reason i don't want to see my Dentist until this is all over and done. at least until the next 100 years! Love your quilt find. hopefully someone will feel the same about my quilts i put into charity recently. But they said they needed to go.
    I have seen so many people walking around with masks falling off of their lips, not noses. sigh. I keep covered up. Hugs to you and your family!

Comment

.... ... ... ... ...
      Last edited by Hulamoon; October 13, 2020, 05:51 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

What a gorgeous quilt & what a bargain! It is worth much more than what you paid. You found a real deal! Hope you all will be safe from the virus.

Re: mask wearing. I have spoken to a few people who don't have their masks covering their noses, or in the early days were wearing no masks. In one case, the woman said she had only 1/2 her lung capacity & it made it difficult for her to breathe. I can sympathize with her. I know people with respiratory issues are having a hard time with the masks. In some cases, the people just don't care, or maybe they didn't realize the mask slipped down.

Comment

"Cabbage Patch Reject"?? Would that be a physical, genetic, or a mental disability?

Comment

Just the average mutant drama seeker, underage at that. I can sympathize with real disabilities, and never be unkind. People that let their kids run wild , seeking attention from strangers in negative ways, deserves attention, just not the kind they are seeking. I think the most offensive ones are the screamers , and parents trying to outscream them.>>> Cabbage patch =not endearing <<<>>>Reject = when even the parent pretends they don't know them. <<<Sorry if the terminology was offensive, it wasn't meant to be. My sense of humor is a coping skill I have to stay sane when I have to venture out. From this picture I think it is telling me there a few that have similar sense of humor. 888de0ce233c495d6ce187b12464f4b7.jpg

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              I love it and your humour. I can relate. People have always said that I am funny, and during Covid, my true humour comes out and sometimes a tad more sarcastic. Maybe I am a bit of a Howie Mandel personality, I saw his story by himself Monday since Covid. Amazing and honest for speaking out on mental illness.
              Humour is a very powerful coping mechanism.

What a wonderful quilt! Deals like that come around so seldom. I hope your daughter hasn’t been infected. Some people are just simply rude because they don’t care about anyone but themselves.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I understand your fear about the exposure. Our oldest grandboy also was exposed thru work and had to be tested. He was afraid to tell me because I had hugged him (only hug except Roger since this all started!) that very week. Plus, it was my birthday and he didn't want to ruin that, but he did tell us on my birthday. Thankfully, his test came back negative!

Your quilt find is beautiful!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I am so glad your grandson tested negative. That is very encouraging. My daughter like a lot of young working people is one who does not get paid unless they work. That is a stress on them that is understandable. I can only imagine how hard it is to tell someone , when you have been exposed.. I just took it personal at first that Lisa had been put at risk. After a cup of tea and time for the reaction to wear off, I realize the virus is what is unacceptable not the people who are risk or been exposed.

Comment

I LOVE your quilt and I love it even more that it wound up in the home of a quilter who will really treasure it. I can see you spending many happy hours examining every inch.

The incident at the Dollar Store sounds awful. I don't usually say anything to people not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly. The one time I did I was in line at the post office and woman ahead of me, no mask. I said aren't you supposed to be wearing a mask. Signs were up in the P.O. in several places stating Masks Are Required. She jumped down my throat as did the P.O. Clerk. I called and complained to the head of the post ofc the next day but she kind of had an attitude also. She claimed masks are recommend not required, and "I can't very well ask someone to leave" to which I said oh yes you can and that is NOT what your signs say, you have a duty to the public to enforce that.

Comment

• geegeequilts
                    geegeequilts commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good for you, Jocelyn.

I am glad you spoke up. I think people that do make such a difference.

Comment

I am nervous about speaking up these days. People are downright crazy and I am afraid I will say something to the wrong person and they will go out to the car and grab their gun. I think it's part cabin fever from covid plus so many people have an attitude you can't tell ME what to do.

Comment

I hadn't thought on guns. That would make me very nervous. There have been some incidences of violence over mask wearing in Toronto , 90 min. drive from here. I had read a man in a store as a customer wearing a mask , told some one walking into the store with out a mask that he should be wearing one too. They must have exchanged not so nice words because the mask wearer hit the other guy in the mouth and broke out a lot of his teeth. It was a small write up on the news. To knock out teeth , that has be a pretty nasty punch, maybe it was more than one, I don't know. It's hard to know what to do, risk the virus by staying quiet , or risk violence by speaking up. Not speaking up seems to be taken as encouragement to the anti maskers that they can do what they want. This town is mandatory masks in public places, I think I won't be going out for a good while to come. I don't know how my daughter can keep going, she says customers are a lot nastier than usual lately. As weird as it sounds, it seems now that people are wearing real masks or expected to , it is like their social masks have fallen off.

Comment

As someone who wrote tens of thousands of stories in my career, let me assure you that it's easy to look at the very few incidents that have happened and think there's an epidemic of violence going on. Not to downplay the incidents that have happened, but such action is rare.

News isn't when a dog bites man, but rather when man bites dog. In other words, it's when something out of the ordinary happens. While you never can be sure what someone will do, the odds of them using a gun are minute. It's more likely if they become violent they will just use their fists. Not a better deal by any means, but it's always good to keep things in perspective in your own mind.

That said, not wearing masks is idiotic. People don't balk when the sign says "no shirt, no shoes, no service." This is exactly the same thing. I've told people "you have no freedom where my health is concerned."

Love the quilt, by the way.

Rob
                        Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; October 14, 2020, 06:53 AM.
                        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                        --Ken Burns

Comment

Fantastic thrift store find! I wish I knew how to find out the name of the pattern for you. I have no idea how to even begin to find that pattern but I bet someone on this board will come up with the answer for you. I'll try a few searches.
                          Sorry to hear about the mask incident & the possible Covid exposure. Some people are just not considerate of others & will never be no matter what the circumstances are. Still, once in a while I jump out of the car & forget to put my mask on. The other day that happened & when I got up to the store & stopped abruptly when I remembered. It was sort of like a feeling if I had committed a crime or something. 😊 Rushed back to get the mask & felt so much more protected.

Comment

Working...
                          X