Neck gaiter face mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck gaiter face mask

Has anyone made a neck gaiter to use as a face mask? There are numerous patterns online. I'm just wondering, even with using a knit fabric for stretch, would it work to maybe put some elastic around the top side of it to help to keep it from sliding off? Mike wears hearing aids and he can't use them if he has a face mask on with the elastic around his ears. I made him face masks that tie in the back but he doesn't like that style. I asked him about using one of those clips that pull the elastic away from the ears toward the back of the head. He doesn't want that either.
    The elastic might make it worse, even. I don't know.....
    ~ Carol from PA

If you use cotton lycra it has enough recovery from stretching that it should hold tight enough without elastic. Cotton lycra has at least 5% lycra (spandex) and is 4 way stretch.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I haven't made one but I think Karen is right. If you also add elastic on the top to keep it from slipping I don't think it would be that comfortable unless he just wears it for short periods like running to groc store or post office. You could make a test one without elastic, but then add a row of elastic later if he needs it.

Comment

If you get some clear flat elastic, that might be more comfortable. You could even get those clear bra straps.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Almost sounds like Mike doesn’t really want to wear a mask. I haven’t made the gator masks either, although I have read that some places don’t allow them (eg. Disney) as they don’t offer the protection that quality quilters cotton provides.

My husband’s stepmother doesn’t seem to have any trouble wearing her mask with her hearing aids. Perhaps a thinner elastic or the ones that Lorie mentioned might be more comfortable for him.
          Maria

Comment

What about using elastic that goes around the head instead of over the ears?

FACEMASK_ELASTIC_900x900.jpg?v=1588096862.jpg

Comment

• bubba
              bubba commented
              Editing a comment
              My masks are like the one on the right, so you don't have to use your ears to hold them on. I cut it at 25" and tie it in a knot. I followed the 3D mask pattern on youtube.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll try the lycra. He saw football coaches wearing them on the sidelines and thought that might be something that would work for him.
            Mike definitely wants to wear a mask. He's very good about that. We don't go anywhere without them and always use hand sanitizer when we get back to the car!
            ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Working...
            X