• Show
Clear All

7 WAYS TO USE UP YOUR CRUMBS - SCRAP QUILTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g63Llnx4900

Enjoy !
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Thank you! I've been interested in crumbs I enjoy Karen's videos Hope you have a great day
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Well, that was fun. It gave me a really good idea too. Years ago when I first bought a layer cake for a chevron quilt, I had the bright idea to cut them into charms and make HST's. Umm, what a mess. I ran across the bag a couple of weeks ago. It's blue and white, nautical feel to it. I'm going to treat them as scraps and forget all that never ending squaring up. Might even chop them up more first and toss them around. Maybe do a picture diary. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks! That was good. I enjoy her videos,. She's good.
        Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

image_118015.gif I think this gal has some great ideas, however, she (for some unknown reason) irritates me so I normally don't watch her, but thanks for the info Annika!
          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

She always has such great ideas plus she is fun to watch. I have lots of small scraps and a roll of adding machine paper and one of these days I will drag it all out. I thought it was very interesting to see her cut 5 strips of adg mach paper 18" long, line them up horizontally one below, the other (not stacked) and then sew one scrap on each strip going down. Is that normal? I just assumed you would fill up one strip completely, put it aside, then repeat for each paper strip. Does anyone know why Karen Brown did it like this in the video? Thank you for the link, I enjoyed watching it.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Chain piecing is my guess. Save on thread. I thought this was brilliant!

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              I went back to that and she just said she likes working with that size and saves a trip to the ironing board. I think 20'' would be more useful so you can get 5'' and 10'' lenghts out of it. Maybe do it in different color groups?

I've seen someone do this every time they have scraps amd just keep adding to the roll. Then cut lenghts to use as needed.
            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I have a hard enough time with scrappy..lol I always want to control it. Interesting ideas though. I would probably do by color. I almost had to laugh at her bucket I have enough to fill a garbage bag lol
              Last edited by Momofmonsters5; October 10, 2020, 01:12 AM.

Comment

I enjoy Karen's tutorials. I watched that one earlier today. I also watched one by Lori Holt where she uses 3" squares for the block she's currently making. My scraps are not organized. Being a bit OCD & perfectionist, it's difficult for me to just grab scraps & sew them together. I'm always wanting things to be matchy-matchy. I don't cut up my scraps. I like to leave them whatever size they are until I know what size strip or block I'll need. I have a lot of 2.5" strips left over from bindings & other strips trimmed from batting -- that still need to have the stitching removed. At the current price of fabric, I don't want to waste those trimmings.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                  Momofmonsters5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joy I'm the same. I know others organize scraps but I dont either. I make other things so I leave then as the scrap they are. It has come in handy for projects.

• Dove
                  Dove commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My scraps aren't cut to any size. I just put them sorted by color into those cloth cube things. I use a lot of scraps when making applique projects, Christmas ornaments, etc.
                  Hike, my batting scraps are joined as needed with a zigzag stitch.

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Dove!

I like watching Karen Brown. She has some really good information and tips on all sorts of things.

Comment

Working...
                X