Dumb Question About Pinwheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Question About Pinwheels

image_119465.jpg70CCB5B3-1D95-4E49-9FBA-0F83A68A5145.jpeg I’m working on a pinwheel quilt. I noticed that the light and dark parts of the pinwheels aren’t in the same position in all of them. The pinwheels are made right but some have dark in the upper left corner and others have white. Is it noticeable if they don’t all match exactly positionally? Now that I see the pictures I can see that they are spinning in opposite directions! I haven’t made that many blocks yet so I see some unpicking in my future. Which direction of the blades do you prefer?
    Last edited by Bubby; October 5, 2020, 04:03 PM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

At first no, but now you made me stare at it. lol I guess it would depend on the whole pattern if it was really noticeable This is a good reminder that even the simplest of things can trip you up!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, right?

I just watched Jenny's early pinwheel tutorial where she made the pinwheels from charm pack squares. When I made my pinwheel quilt, I think I had them all positioned the same way, but I'm not sure if it really matters. I guess it depends on how perfectionist you are. This is the crib size pinwheel quilt I made early this year using Grunge Dots & white background from 10" LC squares. I sewed all the way around the blocks, then cut diagonally for the 4 HSTs. It's easy to get them turned a different way. If you want them positioned all the same, keep a sample in front of you to stay on track.

P1030942.JPGBTW, Remember there are no dumb questions here!

Comment

• Anitamae56
      Anitamae56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this too, as always your quilting is awesome. I also like your border

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      If you click twice on the photo you can see a close-up of the FMQ & border. That focus fabric is a Michael Miller fabric called Flight Patterns - Glee in Multi. I still have several other fabrics from that line in my stash waiting to be made into something. The whole collection is viewable with a web search.
      Last edited by JCY; October 5, 2020, 08:43 PM.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Love this quilt Joy!! It's so cheery! Love everything about it.

I’m sure I’ve made several hundred pinwheels blocks but this is the first time I’ve noticed this. Crazy! It’s so easy to see the mistakes of others and harder to see what’s in front of your face. There’s a life lesson in here somewhere.
    Last edited by Bubby; October 5, 2020, 04:38 PM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured it out the first time I did some practice blocks.....didn't end up the same direction. Never did make a whole quilt of them!

Good catch. Subtle but you'd definitely notice the difference when you laid the blocks out in the quilt.

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I always say that every quilt teaches us something.

I would probably sit down with Jack and rip it out, if it were me, because I know it would bother me later. I don't think it matters which way they spin, but I would want them to all spin the same way.

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve already done the ripping. I think I like them spinning clockwise. I’m sure having them all going the same direction is what’s important.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Jack, haha

I am so confused with pinwheels. I never know which way is correct. Is there one? I just try to have them all going the same. Plus I try to put them through the machine so the center intersection will twirl on the back. Sometimes I miss!

Comment

I think it's personal preference whether they spin clockwise or counter-clockwise, but I think it would bother me to have some going each way.

Comment

I think it's personal preference which way they spin. I like both ways. If I had equal number of both I would leave them and alternate them. Then this would look like an intentional design element. I do what Joy suggested and leave the first one I make as a model for the rest.
        Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Luckily I just had 8 sewn and I needed to rip out 4. The way my brain works I think I need to have them all spin the same way. I will refer to a sample rather than rely on my head! Thanks!

I'd want them to all spin the same way. That's the way I roll. LOL! Looking at the pics, my eyes keep going back to the left one.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I think it only matters that they spin in the same direction. And also the quilt pattern. If the pattern is dependent on the way the background of the other blocks in the quilt and the background on the pinwheels meet to make the pattern.

Comment

I like mine all going the same direction as well. The reason: If you've ever been in a part of the country where there are all those wind turbines (for energy), the blades are all going in the same direction. If they were going in different directions then you might want to get out of the area, cause a tornado is probably close by! LOL

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha. Good point!

I was doing a Snail Trail quilt and I was inconsistent in how I sewed the center pinwheel. I definitely had to rip and re-stitch. A Snail Trail quilt demands that your pinwheel turn the right direction. In pure pinwheel quilts, consistency is probably important, but which direction they spin is up to you.
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I think, too. I’m gobsmacked that I didn’t see this before!

BTW this brings back childhood memories. My mom bought me a sleeping bag for slumber parties, and while it was printed (not pieced), it was a pinwheel pattern. Of course, I didn't know the name for it then, but I do now. I loved to just stare and stare and stare at that prinwheel pattern. I remember finding one part of the pattern when the pinwheel blades were had a light "fabric" touching a light "fabric," and I was fascinated by how many times I could find that repeated on the sleeping bag. This was probably a foreshadowing of how much I'd love quilting some day!
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your comment, Toni. I was told that as a child I wanted patches sewn on my clothes because I liked how they looked. I wonder if that was the beginning of my love of quilting also.

• GuitarGramma
              GuitarGramma commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure it was, Bubby!
          Working...
          X