“No plastic” Fabric storage containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“No plastic” Fabric storage containers

Looking for ideas / suggestions on fabric (pre cuts, yardage, scraps...) storage containers that do not include plastic boxes or bins.

Photos welcome!

thanks!!!
    Donna

Honestly, we don't have anything other than plastic storage. The only thing that would come to mind would be like banker's boxes or other cardboard. However, they aren't airtight. I know Alex Anderson doesn't like plastic storage, but I personally don't see the problem. Just my opinion, though.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

I keep mine in a metal filing cabinet. Plus one plastic bin for openjelly rolls. I saw a picture on Facebook of a lady's stash neatly folded on boards and lined up inside lawyer bookcases, you know the kind with glass fronts that you open by tilting the glass. It looked really cool. My dh has some bookcases like that with books in them, and you have tobe kind of careful opening and closing the glass bc they are a little fragile. So I am not sure how practical that is but looked nice.

Comment

• Caroline T.
        Caroline T. commented
        Editing a comment
        JJ, I use to have several sets of Lawyer bookcases. But gave them to my sister some 20+ years ago when I moved cross country. Now that I have a sewing studio, I wish I still had those bookcases, I would have designed my entire studio around those cases and my vintage sewing machine.

Fabric cubes come to mind, but they don't stack well one on top of the other - so shelving of some sort is (in my opinion) a must for this type of system. Down side with fabric cubes, is you can't easily see what is inside unless you pull the box off the shelf (and label the boxes).

The bulk of my fabric is stored in cabinets, folded and sorted by size and color. I do use a couple of fabric cubes though for my scraps that will eventually turn into another scrappy random pieced quilt. Most of my precuts I have in an old entertainment center that has tinted glass doors, so the fabric is protected from the sunlight and dust, yet I can still see all the pretties!

Comment

I just got a 10 1/2 inch box I use for my layer cake fabrics. it is 10 inches inside and works great. has cats on it. It was a set of two folding fabric boxes that come with square inserts to keep the box from wanting to close up I guess. Book boxes they were called. anyway, At Home store was where i found those. got the one box for under five dollars. I have cute plastics baskets too.

Comment

I had some of those fabric foldable boxes like nativetexan, but you have to be aware where you get them. For mine, which I bought on Amazon, the fabric literally turned to dust in a matter of months. So be careful that's it's actual fabric and not some papery fabric-like covering.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hmmm, thanks. hopefully it won't do that. i like the cat print!

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, I hope that didn't make you worry. I remember now they were from Home Depot. Someone picked them up for me along with a cubicle unit. That started peeling too. lol

• nativetexan
              nativetexan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh no worries. These days, what happens-happens. Everything is made differently so we never know how long anything will last us.

I remember seeing a video on making fabric to cover cardboard boxes. My fabric is mainly stored in tool shed shelves. I bought them at Sears for $25 a piece. They are metal and have metal sliding drawers.

Comment

• Carol336
              Carol336 commented
              Editing a comment
              Misty did a video a little while back on covering cardboard boxes with fabric. It was on one of her Tuesday shows.

The majority of my fabric is in a chest of drawers. I have my fabric folded like Marie Kondo suggests you do with clothing, which is nice because I can open the drawers and easily see what is in there.
            Last edited by chelea; October 7, 2020, 01:36 AM.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• jjkaiser
              jjkaiser commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you thank them for their service when you put the left over fabric back? Yes I read that book and thought that part was kind of silly.

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              I watched her Netflix series. It was good. But I had to laugh when a news anchor I was watching mentioned 'yeah that's all good, but look at all the stuff she sells in order to do it'. I just about fell off my chair. Still makes me chuckle.

Have you thought of looking at Ikea - some need shelves but worth a look. No plastic👍 way to go😊

Comment

I do the same that Michele does. I use cloth and plastic dollar store bins inside dresser drawers and have everything neat and tidy. I have not had any trouble with the cloth bins. I love how the fabric looks this way. I am a collector as much as I am a crafter. I actually enjoy organizing and looking at my fabric (for inspiration) as much as I do sewing with it. For this reason I hate to let any of my fabric go. Haha. I've used a lot of my stash during Covid and it looks so bare!
              Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I use these fabric cubes for normal usage is packing but serves me well, and different to these examples of fabric suitcase, to store the fabric in.😁
                here are some other ideas but they on the UK site.
                Have seen this type of metal suitcases
                if going for shelves could go for a cabinet while this is just plain metal, you can now get to decorate.
                There is also cupboards we call them sideboards when in wood in living rooms.
                or then there is one of these that tool folk may drool / like.
                All different types of storage really.
                Metal tends to be lighter than wood, and lasts better, hence all metal suggestions.
                I keep my handy sew tools in a metal bread box.
                Would suggest wheels for large metal furniture, just so can clean underneath😁
                Hope you find something acceptable.
                T
                edit
                just spotted these fabric stacking storage boxes if look at more items to explore further down page, there are other examples.
                Am sure there be a seller in your local area with similar.
                Last edited by 201 Treadler; October 7, 2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X