My Sister's Vintage Treadle Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sister's Vintage Treadle Machine

Sharing a couple pictures of my Ohio sister's treadle machine. She is very proud of this find! She discovered it almost 30 years ago in a Western-wear shop located in a historic shopping district. They were using it as a display table and had a for sale sign on it. I remember they didn't want much for it, maybe $30. I helped my sister bring it home and it was covered in dust and filthy. She set to work on it, and we were amazed at how lovely it looked. Mom & Dad went down to Amish country and bought a belt for it. It still works! It came with all the accessories pictured.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_2866.jpgIMG_2858.JPG

I have my grandmothers treadle, similar to the one in the picture, mine has the little flip down storage across the front between the side drawers. I should look into buying a belt for it and see if son can get it working for me.

That one is a beauty!

Comment

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Mimi, my treadle has that too!

That's a beautiful treadle. I have one in our laundry room.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That is such a treasure with a beautiful history. It was meant to come home and be loved again.

Comment

My grandmother had her mother's treadle, and I remember playing around on it when visiting her. By that point I think it had stopped working, and she never tried to get it fixed. If I remember correctly, it was sold at her estate auction in 1979. I think sometimes my mother regretted not buying it at the auction. That's definitely a nice machine!

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

I learned to sew (machine) on a treadle. Our late daughter had a treadle machine that we could not salvage so DH made it into a table lamp. The cabinet he retrofitted into a base for my Brother 6000i. I still use the foot plate just to relax when sewing even though it doesn't run anything. LOL.
          Thanks for sharing your sister's find with us.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

That is beautiful

Comment

This summer I acquired my Aunt's. I bought 2 new belts for it, one as a spare.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I learned to sew on my mom's treadle. I have a treadle that was in my first husb.'s family. I used it a few times when I first acquired it, but it now serves as a table lamp & has some of my quilting odds & ends on the top. I keep it covered with a table cloth. It's in my sewing room.

Comment

Nice machine - look at that throat space! I loved my mom's treadle.

When I was ultra young around 5, I think, on housekeeping days I would get handed a rag and sat on the floor dusting all that scroll ironwork. There were tons of it on her Singer. I realize now it was just a way to keep me busy and out of her way. I actually got paid 2 cents ... one penny for candy & one for the piggy bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
                    I have my grandmothers treadle, similar to the one in the picture, mine has the little flip down storage across the front between the side drawers. I should look into buying a belt for it and see if son can get it working for me.

That one is a beauty!
                    By all means, get that treadle treadling! Belts are readily available and easy to install. There is a group called Treadelon great resource for the history and fixes for so many models. It is a group for people-powered old sewing machine users, treadles and hand cranks of all makes
                    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I'm not an antique furniture person, but that's one piece I would enjoy and like to learn how to use. My brother purchased one at a garage sale, but it's all rusted. The family kept it outside on a porch. So sad. This one looks gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
                      X