• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mdtrimble
    Binding Belle
    • Apr 2020

Need a graphic design opinion

I’m designing a t-shirt quilt for my father, and I’ve done the initial cuts. I’m working with a 4” grid for my layout, so all my finished block dimensions will be divisible by 4, if that makes any sense (4x4, 8x8, etc). I have a number of t-shirt tops that I initially cut @ 16x16, but now I’m having second thoughts, and want your opinions. I’ve included pictures of one shirt top as an example, pictured both as a 16x16 block and a 12x12 block. Pictures include seam allowances.

Here are the issues as I see them:
    —if I leave the blocks at 16x16, I will have a sizable border between the design and the edge of the block
    —if I trim them to 12x12, many of the designs will go almost to the edges of the block, and the seams will cut some of the ads in half (not sad to loose the ads per se, but concerned that having them peak from the seam at the edge of a block would be distracting)

thoughts?
    CAD346A8-0D3D-4584-9023-82DC97101058.jpegF8CC80E0-EDC9-4DCE-ACD3-1E01A2887AB1.jpeg
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

How about doing a square in square design of sorts so they all come out the same size. I found this as one example, all of them don't need a frame.

]square in square.jpg
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that idea Lorie. Pretty quilt!
  • bubba
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Does your dad know you are making this quilt? If so, ask him how he feels. If it were me, I'd go with the choice on the left.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Of the two I like the bit of border around it.
  • srgreene
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2020

Morning. I like the boldness of the graphic on the smaller block and I'm not bothered by the ad slipping into the seam. The larger block and border looks like it would add order and calmness if the Ts start getting too busy. As you lay this out maybe both sizes will work. Good luck seems like a great project. Sandy

​​​​​

Comment

• oldmanquilts
      Designer Diva
      • May 2018

The example on the left, with ads are my choice. Otherwise I'd cut the "ads" off completely. If not cut off it looks like poor planning to me.
      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Mdtrimble
        Binding Belle
        • Apr 2020

Thanks so much for your feedback. Everyone has a slightly different eye, and I appreciate the spread of opinion (just like my quilt circle - you ask them and you get 15 different opinions 😉)

I’m not planning on doing a traditional style quilt where every block is the same size; I am letting the design on the shirt dictate the size, using a “puzzle” style layout, similar to the picture below, from a previous quilt (though this quilt will be all t-shirts with graphic designs).

I’ll lay it out first, and maybe I’ll trim some
        of the blocks smaller (like the picture on the right), but I think I’ll leave many of them larger, with the border. I’ll post pictures when I get to it (I have two other quilts to finish for Christmas before I can start this one😆)
        051C6238-1F7C-4E05-97B9-9502947F3FFD.jpeg

Comment

• srgreene
          srgreene commented
          Editing a comment
          Great project. Do you have a small black sashing around the blocks? I really like the look. Sandy

• Mdtrimble
          Mdtrimble commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s navy blue 1/4” dashing. The quilt I’m currently working on will have a similar sashing in dark purple.
      • Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

That looks absolutely awesome! 👍
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2020

I really like that! I've never made a memory quilt before.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Rhonda K
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2017

I like the bigger block. It keeps the sponsor's logo intact. Perhaps your dad had a connection with a member from one of them. Keeping the border allows some quilting space also.
            Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Cathy F
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

Love the look of the quilt with the various size blocks adds so much design interest.
              Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2012

I have made a number of T shirt quilts and use the dimension of 12-1/2” wide by 13-1/2” long for my blocks. I don’t do what I call puzzle quilts where you use blocks of different sizes fitting them together like a puzzle. I combine small blocks together and cut them to the 12-1/2” by 13-1/2” block size. That size incorporates most screen printed shirt designs.

Comment

Working...
                X