Basset Hound embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basset Hound embroidery

Cheryl and I are thinking about me designing and her making a quilt that we would donate to the basset hound rescue group where we are getting Patsy. We are thinking it would be something they could auction off as a fundraiser during their next waddle. This is in the early stages (I haven't even settled on a design yet), but one thought I had would be a couple of blocks with either basset hound embroidery or applique. We don't have an embroidery machine, but what I'm wondering right now from those who do are 1) do they sell designs featuring basset hounds? 2) Can they be made into any size (likely 12x12 inch). Like I said, right now we are just playing around with design ideas, so nothing is firm.

Thanks!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

That's what I do for the mini pin rescue in Ottawa, donate dog quilts for their dogs and also for the fundraising auctions. I just use a silhoutette I found online to make my appliques. They go over very well. I think it is a wonderful idea, you will enjoy it very much.

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1366&bih=657
      Found a few on google for you.

Comment

What a nice thing to do! I haven't used mine in ages. You can get designs for just about anything. Etsy has a bunch of independents and then there are the regulars or big box embroidery sites.
        I got drawn to this applique. It's a pdf. https://www.etsy.com/listing/5863797...search_click=1

Other designs
        https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Basset...d%20embroidery

๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

Oh Rob you are just a whirling dervish full of ideas. It's a wonder you can fall asleep at night pondering all the quilts on your wish list! Have fun with your new dog! I had a basset once his name was Norman.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmmm. Maybe that's why I have trouble sleeping at night. Norman is a good name for a basset, but to be honest I've yet to see a bad name, or a bad basset.

Rob

There's also a free downloadable applique here as well
          https://www.uokpl.rs/rsvi/TTiRmbx_basset-hound-dog/ basset-hound-silhouettes-prints.jpg

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it! Thanks!

Rob

This page has lots of doggies.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122160208621432377/

Spoonflower has BH's but they get expensive

https://www.spoonflower.com/en/shop?...rt=bestSelling
          Last edited by Hulamoon; September 22, 2020, 11:17 PM.
          ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

Embroidery machines have a huge learning curve. I have one...I know mine can do great things ..ive seen it..the thread itsself is super expensive. I waited til I got an awesome deal on the machine. It's outdated now but still capable..my goal is to have it hooked to laptop by end of year, but I still had to pay $250 for the thread..honestly i wish i had more lol I would do applique. Still look into a machine if you're sold on the idea though!!

Comment

• Dove
              Dove commented
              Editing a comment
              I have embroidery thread collections but most of the time I just use my So Fine thread. It works well and I have lots and lots of different colors.

In order to do a 12x12 embroidery you would need a machine with a large hoop which means you're kind of limited to the more expensive machines as those are the only ones that comes with those size hoops. Most of the basic machines come with a 4x4 or 5x7 hoop size. Which with the machines edit program designs can usually only be sized up about 10 percent.
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Here's a thought. I found someone on Etsy (I'm sure there are more) that does the embroidery for you. It was hard to find between all the digitizers. Etsy sellers are wonderful people, i was one once, lol.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5625046...62504641&frs=1
              ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
                Rob the HOAQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Lorie,

Just looked over her site, and this is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much.

Rob

Momofmonsters5 is correct, embroidery machines have a learning curve and the thread is expensive. There are also many different kinds of stabilizer.

As for price, the rule is: the bigger the hoop, the more expensive the machine. I bought a Baby Lock Meridian last year. It is a single needle, embroidery only machine. It cost around 5K. Its largest hoop size is 9.5" x 16". I bought it so I could quilt the larger edge-to-edge quilting designs.

I found a few basset hound embroidery designs on the Embroidery Library website. Embroidery designs are sold in specific sizes. You choose the size you want to purchase. If you enlarge the design, the stitch count would stay the same, which would impact the image quality.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 6.33.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-23 at 6.33.25 AM.png

Comment

To add to what Julie posted, the web site shows how many stitches it takes in case someone charges you by that. I'm not sure how they charge. But like quilts it's mostly 2 cents a square inch or something close to that. Just thinking outloud.
                https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ColorC...roductID=h7058
                ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

Rob...what a kind thing to do! Can't wait to see Patsy and what design you and Cheryl come up with. When do you get Patsy? I apologize if you've said already and I've missed it. My head is in a cloud these days! I remember you talking about a time and how long of a drive it is to get there, just not a date. I'm excited for both of you!
                  Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
                    Rob the HOAQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No worries! We get Patsy Saturday. Everything is set and ready to go. We are getting excited.

Rob

Rob,

What a wonderful idea!

I would be happy to make a block to donate for your quilt. I will have to search through my embroidery designs this weekend. Would that work?

Comment

• Bubby
                    Bubby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rhonda, thatโ€™s so sweet of you!

• Hillbillyhike
                    Hillbillyhike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very kind Rhonda!

Rhonda,

Thank you so much for your kind offer. We definitely would love to have something like that for this project.

By the way, I apologize for not being clearer in my original post. I'm not looking to buy an embroidery machine, but rather was more curious as to whether, ala a longarm quilter, there were people who would take their machine and do what I guess could best be described as work for hire. In looking at the basset patterns I noticed that they were all downloadable and were meant to go on someone's machine, but I didn't see anyone who was willing to do it for a fee. I'll have to look over Hulamoon's link. I also considered purchasing the rights to a silhouette to use as an applique, but I haven't done much more than price a couple of places.

Twelve inches is not a firm, set-in-stone size, since this will be a custom quilt. In my initial very rough layout, I was thinking 12-inch blocks would fit the 36x36 inch panel that will be the anchor of the quilt. However, if it would be more cost effective for us to use whatever size is standard, that's what we'll do.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice! We have plenty of time to make this a reality, so I'm sure I will be providing updates as things move forward.

Rob
                  There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                  --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
                  X