Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Wall Design

Hello!

I am wanting to make a design wall on my wall. What kind of material should I use and what's the best way to make one? I have limited space and wish to be able to cleanly take it off the wall when I'm not using it or roll it behind the door Maybe 3M Command Adhesive hooks?

Thank you!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I use a vinyl tablecloth with flannel back. Command strip hold it to the wall and come off easily

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!! That would work perfectly for me! I think maybe you posted that and I read it, but I forgot.

We bought one that is a Fons and Porter brand. It works well, but you are limited by 1) the size of the cloth and 2) the size of your wall. If I had all I wanted, I would have a blank wall that is about twice the size of what we have now, simply because if your quilt is bigger than 60x72 then you are pretty much out of luck.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Unfortunately I am very limited in this tiny house. Thanks Rob! It's cheap on Amazon. Does it work well? I just measured and have more space than I thought. It will fit. Do you like the grid on it?
      Last edited by Hillbillyhike; September 23, 2020, 07:12 AM.

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it works just fine, although the heavier a quilt is the more likely you need to pin it. The size we have is good for blocks, but not very good for anything over a twin sized quilt.

Rob

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks again Rob.

There are some great tutorials for pvc pipe design walls. This is super old, but it swings. And one standing

http://grammyquilts.blogspot.com/201...sign-wall.html

https://roseprairiequilts.blogspot.c...57797016630800
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Lorie!! I love those. Unfortunately I have no room for anything rigid, but for my retirement house, I love them!
      Last edited by Hillbillyhike; September 23, 2020, 07:04 AM.

I was at Joann's today and saw some new Command hooks. Well new to me. They looked like double strips of velcro and I guess you put one strip on the wall and one the back of what you are hanging. I tried to read the instr on the back but are you kidding me, the print was so microscopic even with my glasses I couldn't read a thing!

I don't have a permanent design wall. Sometimes I hang up a full sheet of batting. I also have an old white inherited family tablecloth that is about 75 years old with a big fat white monogram in the corner. My Mom would turn over in her grave if she knew I was using it to pin quilt blocks to! But at least I am using it and not getting ketchup and gravy stains on it. I have a wall hanging on that wall in the sewing room and when I need to hang a design wall up I just use clothespins and sttach it to the top of the wall hanging because it has a flat wooden stick ( like a yardstick) across the back in the sleeve.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; September 22, 2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      That velcro would be great! I have super sticky velcro and was thinking last night about attaching it to Command Adhesive refill strips. I know velcro comes off fabric, but this is super strong and I don't think it would come off that easily. I will look for the ready made one though!

Originally posted by cjsews View Post
    I use a vinyl tablecloth with flannel back. Command strip hold it to the wall and come off easily
    I have the same, command gooks and flannel backed tablecloth. I also have the Fons Porter cloth, as well as Kaffe Fassett w/grid and can honestly say they are awful. The cheap flannel table cloth from Dollar General holds the work in progress so much better!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know! Thanks. I was wondering about the grid and if that was a good idea. Visually to me it seems busy and a distraction.

I bought mine from simply quilting on sale years ago. Its put away ..i have no free wall here for it.

Comment

I have always used a cheap vinyl table cloth from the dollar store, if it's not big enough I just tack them together, and cut the size I want. The cheaper the table cloth the better the blocks cling to it seems. As a added bonus, if it's laid out on the floor or bed, you can just roll it up and not disturb the lay out
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds perfect! I like that idea a lot. I'm trying to avoid clutter in my multipurpose room. I want a functional craft/sewing room, but also a calm retreat and sleep space.

Using two 4x8 foot foam boards from Home Depot, glued together along one long side, we wrapped quilt batting around it and leaned it up against an empty wall in the guest room. There was a hook already in the ceiling, very close to the wall, from a previous owner. The design wall slid behind it and that keeps it from falling forward without having to secure it to the wall. For a number of years now I've been using an 8 foot square design wall. 😊 it's been wonderful!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this idea a lot. Thanks!

• MrsOzzie
        MrsOzzie commented
        Editing a comment
        I also use the 4x8 foam boards covered in batting and keep in the quest bedroom against the wall behind the door. I did each one separate though...that way if I'm working on a small project, I move 1 into my area. That way I'm able to work closely and "see" while I create/design something.

Thanks everyone for your help! I love all your suggestions. Due to limited space I have decided to try the flannel backed tablecloth method. My mama still happens to have a brand new one that I gave her, I discovered while packing this week. I will make a more sturdy amd permanent one when and if we move after my retirement.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
      X