Quilt Labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Labels

I am donating my great grandmother's quilt to my hometown museum. What should I include on the label beside her info and the date created. Maybe the names of those the quilt was passed down to and where they lived???

That is a neat idea! Did she name the quilt?
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

She did not name the quilt. Of course, hand pieced, appliqued and quilted. Circa 1915.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! That's beautiful! So much work!!

That is a beautiful quilt and has such treasured history to go with it. I love your idea for the label. Perhaps a statement that it is donated to "museum name" and the date.

Comment

• Arthlinda
        Arthlinda commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for you input. I will include that on the label.

Will the label be on the rear of the quilt? If so, will people be able to turn it over, or will it be displayed so both sides are visible? The reason I ask is if people cannot touch it, or it will be flat against the wall, I wonder if putting a label on it is advisable? Given that the quilt is over 100 years old, could there be a chance that something could happen to it while affixing the label?

Have you considered working with the museum to create an interpretative sign where you could give a more detailed history of the quilt and list those who owned it before you? Given the precious nature of the quilt, and its age, that might be a better idea. Just a suggestion.

ETA: I write this under the assumption when you say label you mean something that will be sewn onto the back. If you're talking a sign that will be displayed next to it, my whole post is superfluous.

Rob
      Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; September 20, 2020, 03:53 PM.
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't most museums have staff wearing white gloves that can demo such an historic quilt? It's a beautiful quilt.

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Joy, based on my limited experience at the museum in Paducah, the public was not allowed to touch the quilts and the docents would not, even with white gloves. I guess it depends on the museum.

Rob

Originally posted by Arthlinda View Post
      She did not name the quilt. Of course, hand pieced, appliqued and quilted. Circa 1915.
      I just want to thank you for sharing your grandmother's quilt. I don't have any label advice, but do share Bob's thinking on it. I am especially intrigued by your quilt because it is so similar to one my grandmother passed down to me. It was made by an aunt of hers, but my memory is fuzzy on it as she shared the history with me when I was a teen and I didn't write it down. It is much like yours - applique solid color with white - made up of large snowflakes in periwinkle blue.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. I am in touch with the museum and we are working out the details for the best handling of my great grandmother's quilt. And yes, it is her name and picture that I use.

Comment

What a wonderful tribute to your great-grandmother. I'm sure there will be many who appreciate the beauty and artistry of the quilt as well as the history.

Comment

Working...
          X