Show off yor sewing space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show off yor sewing space

One of the first type of videos I watched when I first started this journey was how people set up and organize their sewing spaces. While I'm definitely not a "neat freak" I do feel that proper organization is a key to enjoying what you do. Also, lately Alex Anderson has been showing different sewing rooms, from dream ones to what she calls "wee ones." With so many talented and experienced quilters here, along the lines of the daily quilt show, I would like to see how others have theirs set up. Since I've started the thread, I'll go first.

015.JPG Our sewing room is 9x15 and sits at the end of our house. This is an overall shot when you walk into the room.

001.JPG This is the main work area. Cheryl's machine is at the left in the photo and mine is in the right. The large plastic container under my table holds all my reproduction fabrics and fabric I want to use in my Lincoln quilt. The plastic under Cheryl's side are of quilts she's finished and are waiting to go to the longarmer and other projects. 002.JPG These are the works in progress on my side (the ones I hope to get too soon). Also on top is storage for things like precuts and other items that is hard to find storage for.

003.JPG Thiis is my pressing area, along with more storage. I can move the cart in order to accommodate pressing larger blocks or quilt tops. 004.JPG This used to be the general cutting table, but now it's our Accuquilt station. The Go Big sits there permanently, which makes it easier than folding it up and setting it to the side. At the bottom are long dies like strip cutters and others that won't fit anywhere else. 005.JPG More die storage 018.JPG Even more die storage 008.JPG This is Cheryl's pressing area, which also doubles as a bookcase. The top thread holder has thread that she uses for mending and other things while the one on the bottom is for quilting and piecing thread. We use Presencia and Aurifil. 007.JPG More project and works-in-progress storage. The containers next to the mini fridge are the ones that Cheryl is currently working on. 012.JPG Since we moved the cutting mat from the Accuquilt table, we put it on our chest freezer. It is taped with double-sided tape in order to keep it from sliding when in use or when we need to get into the deep freeze. 013.JPG Finally, our design wall. We really need a bigger wall because we both can't use it at the same time.

Hope others will show off their space in the coming days.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

I won't post pics, but people are free to browse My Sewing Room album on my profile page.

Comment

I want to participate in this thread but I keep getting error messages. There are some old pictures of my space in my album My Sewing Space. The only thing I could upload is the rack Jeff made me for machine emb thread. It holds well over 300 spools. I love it. Sorry....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bubby; September 17, 2020, 02:19 PM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Granny Fran
        Granny Fran commented
        Editing a comment
        I LOVE that thread holder!!!

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too!! I want hubby to make a small one for me.

My pictures are about two years old from when my studio was first set up, and not much has changed except I have replaced the white cabinets with slightly larger brown cabinets that now span the entire back wall, a few more boxes stored under the LA (mostly batting), a few "decorative" touches, and added a mini fridge. Oh and I also added robotics to the LA (still learning that).

It's not always as clean as in the pictures, but it's the one room in my home that is 100% MINE and I have full control of so I do keep it pretty tidy.

My thinking/planning space, and a place to hang UFO's waiting to be quilted

Ugly chimney still in place, but the furnace is covered and is used as a catch all, until things can be put away. The pictures sitting in the window sill, have been hung finally above the back window.

These are the cabinets that have been replaced. My cutting table is made up of two workbenches from Harbor Freight, not only is my surface pretty good size, but the drawers on both sides and underneath shelves give me lots of storage.

My pride and Joy, "Franny", I've added robotics to her, and we've had so much fun learning and creating together.

Comment

Caroline, your pictures didn’t load.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Caroline T.
          Caroline T. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I did have some difficulty loading pic, hopefully they're showing now for all (I can see them anyhow). If not, they're in my album under my profile.

16003722311971541190695646594403.jpg16003722910702678560462164035244.jpg I lost my sewing room in this house so I'm scattered between the living area and our bedroom. Lol don't judge in the mirror you see where my cutting mat is and my daughters school station is. I have four areas in the room full of fabric. I do have a long arm and a really nice ajustable cutting table that doesn't fit here. Stored for a bigger house!

I had to show my old one is Germany. This is what I got used to..if it seems like I'm complaining lol I had an attached kitchen that we didn't use so the cabinets were my storage. My design wall was to the left on the first picture.

image_32513.jpg
        image_32512.jpg
        image_32514.jpg my ironing station, it was not set up yet.
        image_32511.jpg
        image_32515.jpg
        image_32516.jpg

Last edited by Momofmonsters5; September 18, 2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Amazing you can work in there. I wouldn't be able to find anything but I bet you know where everything is. So hard to lose your sewing room but it looks like you are resourceful in fig out an alternative!

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Yes it's an adjustment. For years I didn't have a sewing room. So I adapt. Ive been so spoiled lol I will be again. It's temporary.

Rob, You and Cheryl have a good working space. I would have a problem sharing a space I think.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes...very nice space. Love the cutting board on freezer idea. Wish my freezer wasn't outside so I could do the same.

Sometimes it can get crowded, Barb. It helps that many times while she's in there I'm in my office looking up things or checking my email, but so far we've seem to work it out. Like I said, the only real issue is not having a design wall that we both could use.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

This is my happy place for sewing, embroidery, and relaxing. My sewing machine is by the window ( cut off in the picture)and one of my embroidery machines is on my cutting table. The cabinets on both sides of the window hold some of my fabric. The closet holds the rest.Screenshot_20200917-184807~2.jpgScreenshot_20200917-184923~2.jpgScreenshot_20200917-184957~2.jpgScreenshot_20200917-185030~2.jpg it has changed a bit since these pictures. I've added another small table for my small embroidery machine and it's not as clean right now as fabric piles have not gotten back in their bins yet.😊
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• Claire Hallman
            Claire Hallman commented
            Editing a comment
            Love your space and specially your doll house. I got one of those for Christmas...when I was 32 and loved it. DS used to play with his Star Wars men in the house. Great memories.

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful space Cathy!

• Nwmnteacher
            Nwmnteacher commented
            Editing a comment
            I love your cozy sitting area.

There is a thread with a lot os sewing spaces already posted

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...ur-albums-here
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I searched for something like this last night, but this never came up. Not sure why, but thanks for letting me know.

Rob

• geegeequilts
            geegeequilts commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a few pics but when you try to click on to their thread it comes up as invalid.. Just wondering why we can see some pictures & not others. Thanks, Gina

• K. McEuen
            K. McEuen commented
            Editing a comment
            Some that were linked to their albums probably got messed up when they did the forum "upgrade".

Holy cow Rob you have Stuff with a capital "S" I have never seen so much in one room! You and your wife must really work well together to be able to share your space and not get in each other's way. I like how you use the freezer for a cutting table but I bet you are the only one on the Forum with that idea! I would be too tempted to load it with ice cream sandwiches and those baby Dove bars!

Comment

Who says we haven't?😁

Rob
            --Ken Burns

Comment

• Granny Fran
              Granny Fran commented
              Editing a comment
              HaHaHaHaHa

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! Too funny

My set up, ironing board is usually next to my chair. Not shown are the shelves and plastic tubs stored in a closet.
            The room is almost always messy.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by laura44; September 20, 2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Mine has just been moved 1400 miles....good grief! Lord only knows when I will be able to get it organized and where I will put it all. I tried to purge before the move and you're only seeing one half of the room....YIKES!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• jjkaiser
                jjkaiser commented
                Editing a comment
                Mercy, you have a job ahead of you! But if you are in the right mood you will be surprised how fast you can put things in order in a week. Good luck, and show us some after pics.

• shermur
                shermur commented
                Editing a comment
                JJ...I am working a job...so, not sure when I will get to the sewing room. there is a lot of boxes yet to unpack throughout the house. But, I will post pics once I get things under control....

There's something I always wondered about when making space to enjoy your hobby. Of course it depends on how serious you are, but hobby space is usually taking a back seat. If you spend more time in the hobby room than the living room, the hobby deserves more space. If you host family dinners every weekend it's a different story. If my living room/TV room were mainly unused I'd move it to the smaller space and move the hobby stuff so I could at least enjoy it.
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                Claire Hallman commented
                Editing a comment
                So right, when we moved to this house I was going to use the smallest bed room for sewing but decided I would use the bigger guest room since I was here lots more than any guests would be. We deserve the best.
            Working...
            X