What is driving the price of fabric up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is driving the price of fabric up?

Is it masks? This is the second time this week I've looked for a novelty fabric. Funny i have it but only scraps left. Its $15 a fat quarter. I searched and searched and found half a yard for $8.25. I keep seeing this with novelty fabric ..this time I need it can't substitute it. Glad the major manufactors are keeping their prices the same!! I really hate when people buy things up just resell at rediculous prices.

Lots of novelty fabrics are finding their way into masks. At J's, we've been selling lots and lots of novelties .... many of them 1/4 and 1/3 yard cuts, so you know they are probably going to be sewn into masks.

Comment

The same is true on just about any type of secondary market. The Abraham Lincoln Bookshop puts out a list of the 100 books everyone should own on Lincoln (I have 97....three of them don't interest me). One of the books was about Lincoln and his Reconstruction policy. This book was published in the early 1960s and was otherwise not remarkable. The cheapest copy I could find was $195. The most expensive someone wanted $850. Needless to say, I didn't buy it. A few months later I found it for $59, which is still expensive, but not $195. My point is that people who sell things on the secondary market know that if someone REALLY wants something, they will eventually pay for it, so there is no incentive to make prices reasonable. Plus, it doesn't cost them any more to store it. That's why you can find regular lines of fabric for anywhere from $9.99 to $11 a yard, but once it gets scarce, the sky is the limit. Good old supply and demand.

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

I'll have to get active on our swap page lol. I'm making my grandaughter a bunch of barbie clothes for christmas. I need 8" square. I'm not going to pay this all the time. I'll be searching for the scraps I have before I buy. Of course I saw it this weekend and now can I find it? Nope!

Thanks! I totally get supply and demand too...business major....I feel like I need to hoard novelty fabrics now lol I have tons but it's always something off the wall that comes up!! Like werewolf fabric! I know I have a scrap I used it in a quilt.

Comment

I agree with Rob. It’s Demand that has driven up the price of novelty prints. Many people buy half a yard or less for masks, so they are charged full yard price plus and the Seller makes more money. Bottom line it’s Demand/Greed in action. I refuse to pay those prices.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Yes demand is a big part. The OTHER part is, its mostly shipped here from China, and THAT is going pretty slow right now.
            TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• sewUK
              sewUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly and not only China! Lots of things on Amazon - for instance - are 'currently unavailable'

I have a lot of out of print novelty fabric. I'm on the fence about pricing it, because I never bought to resell.

Anyway, what kind of prints are you looking for the doll clothes?

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
              Momofmonsters5 commented
              Editing a comment
              She's 6, I'm embarrassed. I asked my daughter her favorite animal..a werewolf! Of course I only have frankenstien left of the fabric i had...haha. I was looking for Disney decendents fabric..I feel old had to look it up! My little pony..things like that that are now scarce.

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course, isn't that every 6 yrs old favorite animal. lol I don't have any licenced fabric, but this seller has some cheaper prices. There' s some Desendents in her shop too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewMoxie?l...w_header#items

Yup, Supply & Demand. Walk into most stores and you'll see the shelves are pretty bare and the discounted prices are very rare! I went to "Tuesday Mornings" the other day, and their shelves are so bare they had a sign on the door that read "NO we are NOT closing, just experiencing delivery delays!....".

Comment

Working...
            X