Something is wrecking my work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something is wrecking my work!

20200910_110702.jpg Good morning! I had to redo this block because I noticed that something marked up my block. I thought maybe my iron, but I'm wiping it on scrap fabric first and it's still doing it. I can't see anything on my iron. Could it be from the steam...maybe the water or something going on inside? Grease from my machine?? It's so strange! A few of my pieces of fabric have that now on my finished blocks.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I've had that happen, and I'd say it's from your iron. Get an iron cleaner and clean the plate. It helps to put a dryer sheet on your ironing board and running the hot iron over that occasionally.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this tip, Barb, I did know about this.

• Vonnie
      Vonnie commented
      Editing a comment
      Bubba is Pat and Bubby is Barb.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops! Thanks Vonnie. So sorry Pat!

Its hard to tell from the picture. Are you talking about the gold color on the edges? I have been there ....... Couple of months ago I kept finding ink on my hand and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I thought I was loosing my mind. This went on for days . It was a leaking pen in a drawer in the laundry room.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      No. The black marks near the stitching lines. If you look on the blue it's right where the seam from the back is.

Yeah looks like a bit of corrosion building on the sole plate. Needs a good iron cleaner like Dritz Iron-Off
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks auntstuff. I don't see anything but I'll buy some of that right away. I'm afraid to do any more work without cleaning it.

When you clean your iron make sure you get the edges too.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks cjsews! I will!!

There is a gap around the plate of my iron where it connects to the body of the iron. Sometimes lint and dust builds up in there. If the fabric gets into that gap I get black streaks similar to what you have.
    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Really!? From lint and dust build up? Huh! How strange. Thanks Dove! It's great to know a cause so I can fix it. A thorough cleaning is in order!!

I still use a 19 year old ion, mostly because it gets a good cleaning regularly, which avoids a lot of problems.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks!

I hate to hear this. Hopefully cleaning your iron fixes it.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bubby!

Iron is good and cleaned. I have tested on white scraps and so far so good! Thank you all for your help today. Much appreciated!! Hugs to you all!

Comment

Is it only happening with the blue fabric - not sure from the picture. Is the blue a different fabric from the white? Just a thought!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        The blue is a different fabric than the white but it was also happening on the white. I clesned the iron and so fsr so good! I think the iron was dirty. More the inside, as no dirt really came off the outside. It's teflon coated snd looked clean to me.

It looks like fusible residue from the iron. Check the edges of the iron. I use an alcohol wipe. Check the machine bed or needle plate too. Change the needle or clean with alcohol wipe in case of remaining residue.

PS to add: You may be able to wipe off the residue with alcohol and save that block.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhhh...I will try!! Thanks!

Awesome advice Rhonda! I will do all that today.

Comment

if still bad did you know irons can have shoes bought for them, they slip on the bottom. no pun intended lol.
        am sure quilting suppliers or even the long river website has them

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! Thanks, I'll check it out. Mine has a slippery surface. Maybe teflon? It looked clean. I put vinegar in it and sprayed it and ironed it out and then the same with water. Then I sprinkled baking soda on the wet towel and rubbed for a while. No troubles so far! My guess it was the inside that was dirty??
      Working...
      X