Child's/Toy Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child's/Toy Machine?

I am looking for an older machine that is a child's machine. One that is not powered by batteries, but a power cord and really sews. There are several on EBay, but I not sure what brand to buy. I would prefer an older vintage model. The modern ones just look like pieces of junk. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Child's/Toy Machine?

Look for a Singer Featherweight. There is a web site you can look for that sells them. I'm sure a couple of ladies have them on this site too. They are black and they sew like demons. People don't give them up easily. I'll try and find the site for you. The man who refurbishes them guarantees them for a year, has a great reputation for being an honest man. I'll get back to you.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I would love a Featherweight--for me! LOL! I'm not willing to pay the price for one though. This is actually for my GD. I've looked on EBay and the Crystal Brand keeps popping up. Looks like it was made in 50's and 60's. I want to spend under $50.
      Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Oh. OK. I bought a Singer for my granddaughter but the cheap one was just that, cheap and didn't work great. So I got her the one that was 159.00 for $99 and it works great. She should be able to sew with it for many years. It runs like a champ and was worth every penny. She is 11 and is already making doll quilts for her dolls. My DIL likes it so much she is using it too. Just watch for sales at Joann's Fabric or go to ebay and take a chance on getting a decent machine there. Hugs, Jan
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I get the Quilters Home newsletter and there is an article in the Dec./Jan 2011 issue about toy sewing machines. Probably not what you want to buy, but thought you'd be interested in reading down through the article. I am hoping the article just pops up for you.

http://www.quiltershomemag.com/conte...ewing_2362.pdf

Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I used an old, used machine as a child to learn to sew. The tension kept messing up and it was so frustrating. I recommend you buy a cheaper, new machine for your granddaughter to learn on. I started my daughter on a toy machine and it was a big mistake. We used it once and donated it immediately. It was horrible! I bought her a new, cheaper machine from a local fabric store and it was just fine. She never took off with it, but learned enough skills to mend, etc. I was lucky that my love of fabric and sewing over-rode my frustration and I kept with it. Please don't frustrate a beginner, if you can help it. Just my 2 cents. Watch for sales and you can get great deals!
            Suzy Que

Comment

Darn, I was hoping there was some kind of cute vintage machine that actually worked like a full size, just a simple straight stitch. I
              Lisa

Comment

Kids machines, even the older ones will be a disappointment. They do a chain stitch usually and will be very frustrating for both of you. you don't mention the age of your GD but with supervision she should be able to use a basic "real" machine. If you can find one, i would recomend a Janome jem. They're small, dependable and will serve her well. I got a used one for my DD for $100.( and if she doesn't enjoy sewing, you will have a machine to take with you to class or on vacation )
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                X